Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:55 AM
All aboard the Failboat

Wow, just, wow.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 2:33 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93 View Post
that is one sweet ass bridge! does it only have the one tower?
It's got two, that's the Western tower. I'll do some more renders of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI
Awesome bridge - sooooo many details - must have taken forever to create! ?????
Two whole days. There were times I wanted to throw the computer out the window. But now I get to build the elevated rail!

And now that I've optimized the whole city model with groups and components so it can run faster, I've undone all that speed brought back with the detail of the bridge.

Top of the new page, so I'll put the update here again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Nagaukee Bay Bridge

Until 1961, the thin peninsula of City City was disconnected from the Michigan Mainland across Nagaukee Bay, and commuters needed to travel ten miles south to reach the mainland. It was then that the first Nagaukee Bay Bridge, as part of Eisenhower's Federal Highway plans, was completed; an over the deck truss design with a total span of 1.7 miles. Before it could celebrate its 8th birthday, in 1969, one of the central pylons was struck by a loaded ore shipping vessel, leading to collapse of one of the spans. The bridge was quickly condemned and demolished; the loss of tension throughout the structure as a result of the damage doomed plans for repairs. In 1970 construction began on a new suspension bridge, completed in 1979. Today it is the third longest suspension bridge span in the United States, behind the Verrezano Narrows and Golden Gate Bridges. It spans the Stetson Pass, the shortest water route to the mainland closest to the centre city, which lies about two miles North East.

[note the photoshopped in Mill Island]

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:12 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

More bridge! Yay!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:02 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Da-amn!!!!!! I think that's the best bridge I've ever seen on SU!

I'm going to have to buy a storage unit to put in all the gallons of drool from City City II!

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:08 PM
i like stuff

wow thats one hell of a bridge
any suggestions on making a suspension bridge easier the one I'm working on is a lot smaller than yours but still one of the hardest things I've ever tried

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 8:16 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
any suggestions on making a suspension bridge easier the one I'm working on is a lot smaller than yours but still one of the hardest things I've ever tried

The only way to make it easier is to not do it. I'm not going to again.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 9:10 PM
i like stuff

damn I was hoping there was some secret to it

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 1:06 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

A preview of the el train:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:08 AM

Damn!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 10:45 AM
All aboard the Failboat

the first propper EL track in any city, that I know of

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 8:47 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
Not at all. I made a pretty detailed golden gate looking thing a year ago:

nowhere near as detailed as CG's - and I haven't gone anywhere near attempting to do something like that since. it's so ridiculously hard it ain't even funny. You gotta be a straight up masochist to even want to attempt it.

And come to think of it, compared to things I've made recently, that golden gate thing is really not even very good.

With that said, CG, your bridge is amazing.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 7:15 AM
Desert Dweller

WOW, whatta bridge! I seriously need to add those trusses? under my bridges, If I remember correctly without them, wind could bend and destroy a suspension bridge.

But yeah just AMAZING detail as usual, I wanna know, how did you do the bridge? Like I make the wires as a texture, did you make them all individually? Also the trusses, is that all one giant texture?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 10:04 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
WOW, whatta bridge! I seriously need to add those trusses? under my bridges, If I remember correctly without them, wind could bend and destroy a suspension bridge.

But yeah just AMAZING detail as usual, I wanna know, how did you do the bridge? Like I make the wires as a texture, did you make them all individually? Also the trusses, is that all one giant texture?
Thanks! The trusses are the structure fr the roadbed and help minimize lateral sway (ie Tacoma Narrows). You don't 'NEED' to add them if you don't want to, they're a hell of a lot of pain to make and get aligned correctly with the roadbed. The only textures used in the bridge model are colours, the trusses and suspension cables are two dimensional planes with cutouts, details and colour. If you use a transparent texture, the empty spaces would render as white in Kerkythea.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 10:58 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Huge. I should check...

But the island hasn't actually been imported to the main file, I had to stitch two photos together to make that map. My computer isn't powerful enough to handle putting the two models together.
Just curious, do you use layers? I find these especially useful since my marina model is closing in on 100mb fast and is completely unnavigable when everything is visible. In fact I don't even work in the one model. I make each tower seperately then add them into the main model, each tower with its own seperate layer. I turn them off when navigating, then when I have a good viewpoint I turn them all on and create the render.

BTW have you tried any of the other render settings in KT? You should try the metropolis light transport option. It will take ages but your renders will turn out great. Start the rendering in the morning, go to work, come back and you have an awsome render sitting in front of you.

By the way this city is great. What I love most is the character that's going into this.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 8:43 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow, you really know about Kerk malec.

Awesome bridge. I'd like to try one but my cities are in an island which aren't big enough for long span bridges.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:49 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Just curious, do you use layers? I find these especially useful since my marina model is closing in on 100mb fast and is completely unnavigable when everything is visible. In fact I don't even work in the one model. I make each tower seperately then add them into the main model, each tower with its own seperate layer. I turn them off when navigating, then when I have a good viewpoint I turn them all on and create the render.
What I did at first was just build the entire city as one entity, just because I didn't feel like going through all that organization work. Bu I just 'formatted' the entire city: I made each block a component and then formed groups out of neighbourhoods consisting of several city blocks. I didn't even think of the layers; that's probably the way I should be headed because the groups/components don't really help much speed-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
BTW have you tried any of the other render settings in KT? You should try the metropolis light transport option. It will take ages but your renders will turn out great. Start the rendering in the morning, go to work, come back and you have an awsome render sitting in front of you.
I'll have to try that. Obviously I've been pretty conservative with my rendering, I haven't really bothered with bump mapping or complex reflections. Hell, I haven't figured out haze yet. But I'll definately take that advice, because I just got my new laptop in the mail this morning. 4g of ram=City City II mayhem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
By the way this city is great. What I love most is the character that's going into this.
Thanks, it's appreciated.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 6:52 AM
nuttin

Very nice - I love this style

I know that if you use an SU ruby script called 'drop tool' you can create your cables in a straight row on a flat surface then you move them directly above the bridge where you want them to 'land' and they will all drop vertically and join onto the nearest surface :B

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup