HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

The Dale in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:16 AM

The Hazelton [403 Richmond Rd] | 34m | 9f | Approved

Quote:
403 Richmond Rd & 398 Roosevelt Ave(Tubman's) - OPA, Zoning By-Law Amendment, Site Plan + Open House Webinar

Kitchissippi Ward, August 21, 2020

A proposed development is being contemplated at 403 Richmond Rd and 398 Roosevelt Ave, which is currently occupied by Tubman's Funeral Home. Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-Law Amendment applications will be brought forward seeking to to allow for a 9-storey residential building with 580 square metres of retail commercial fronting onto Richmond Rd. The building is proposing approximately 170 units, including 5 at-grade residential units fronting onto Roosevelt. Access to the underground levels of parking is from Roosevelt Ave and 115 vehicular residential parking spaces are being proposed. As well, a small privately owned public space is proposed at the corner of Roosevelt and Richmond Rd. Communal amenity area will be provided at-grade in the interior yard and indoors, via outdoor terraces on the second, fifth and eighth floor, and on the rooftop with a penthouse amenity room also proposed.

Once the applications are on DevApps, we will link to the plans for more details.

We are hosting a pre-application public open house webinar via Zoom to discuss this proposed development with the community future.

Wednesday, September 9 at 7:00pm

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85321628081

Password: 415946

During the open house webinar, the applicant and their team will run through the proposed development in more detail, and we will take questions from those watching. In order to join, you just need to download Zoom and click the link provided. You will then be prompted to use the password, and sign in with your name and e-mail address.

We will be recording the webinar and posted it online afterwards for anyone who is unable to attend on September 9.

Please consider sending us feedback on the proposed development via Jeff.Leiper@ottawa.ca and / or Fiona.Mitchell@ottawa.ca. Once the application is on public circulation, we will encourage you to send feedback to the lead planner on the file as well.
http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/4...lan-open-house

Note: I think there's a mistake in the title: 398 Roosevelt is across the street and not part of this proposal (unless I'm missing something). Looks like we have two threads for that one:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ight=Roosevelt

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:22 PM

It’s most probably 389 Roosevelt (rather than 398) which is the older brick house adjacent to Tubman’s parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Bla View Post
It’s most probably 389 Roosevelt (rather than 398) which is the older brick house adjacent to Tubman’s parking lot.
That's probably right. Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:01 PM
Busy Beaver

No more Tubman's? But where am I going to die?

Seems like Westboro's heading into the Brutalist-Nouveau phase of architecture.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post

You don't die at Tubman's, you just get embalmed and displayed .

The design looks pretty bad. Looks like a cheap hotel from the 70s.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:40 PM
The Caboose

Quote:

Got no pulse? Call Hulse!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Bla View Post
389 Roosevelt is owned by the Tubman family and is a rental. I wonder whether that will be torn down as part of this plan, it is pretty far from Richmond road.

Also interesting is that the Tubmans own 346 Roosevelt down the street as well, which is a gravel lot used for overflow parking for the funeral home. It's right next to a proposed apartment building at 342 Roosevelt.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 12:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/4...lan-open-house

Note: I think there's a mistake in the title: 398 Roosevelt is across the street and not part of this proposal (unless I'm missing something). Looks like we have two threads for that one:

I like it!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 1:43 PM

Site plan. According to Leiper, the Wednesday's video consultation will be posted soon.

https://twitter.com/JLeiper/status/1303833595530956801

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 10:01 PM

I participated in the open house on zoom last week. Here are a few observations:
- project is by Mastercraft which build the Soho projects in Ottawa
- project likely to be rental but decision not finalized on this
- the developer acquired the first house to the north of the development on Roosevelt
- developer expect that it may take at least 2 years to get approval
- comments were made on uninspiring design and they indicated that design is not finalized. Current design was presented to show public Massing
- architect recognized that Westboro Station is one of the nicest buildings in Ottawa but doesn’t want to copy design
- there will be units on main level but also quite a bit of commercial space.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:11 PM

Looks like Councillor Leiper created a new YouTube Channel for Kitchissippi Ward.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZQ...OplaCG5rgihGKQ

Here's the online Open House for this one:

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:16 AM

It doesn't look like one of their SOHO buildings. I wonder if it'll have different branding.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper View Post
I participated in the open house on zoom last week. Here are a few observations:
- project is by Mastercraft which build the Soho projects in Ottawa
- project likely to be rental but decision not finalized on this
- the developer acquired the first house to the north of the development on Roosevelt
- developer expect that it may take at least 2 years to get approval
- comments were made on uninspiring design and they indicated that design is not finalized. Current design was presented to show public Massing
- architect recognized that Westboro Station is one of the nicest buildings in Ottawa but doesn’t want to copy design
- there will be units on main level but also quite a bit of commercial space.
'architect recognized that Westboro Station is one of the nicest buildings in Ottawa but doesn’t want to copy design '

Uhhh...ok. So I guess he'll skip the random horrid orange and lime green panels, the towers that rise out of a podium that literally looks like big box mall stores stuck together, and the overwhelming blandness of Westboro Station. I can live with that.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 5:24 PM

I still don't understand how we allowed a condo building a kilometer away from Westboro Station be named "Westboro Station". Was it the site of the Streetcar network's Westboro Station?

I like the first phase of the project, but the second phase has a little too much blank wall on the side and rear, and the ramp interrupts part of the sidewalk. The podium does have a bit of a big box store feel (what with the Shoppers and TD Bank), but I do appreciate that they attempted to break-up the podium with some set-backs and different materials.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:41 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
I still don't understand how we allowed a condo building a kilometer away from Westboro Station be named "Westboro Station". Was it the site of the Streetcar network's Westboro Station?.
CP Rail had a Westboro station at Roosevelt and Scott, not too far from where Dominion is now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 12:17 PM

I’ve always really enjoyed looking at those maps - is there a database of them somewhere? I’ve never had any luck finding high quality ones for specific areas like the one you have shared. Thanks.

Quote:
CP Rail had a Westboro station at Roosevelt and Scott, not too far from where Dominion is now.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 12:49 AM

Watched the Open House. Seems pretty decent so far. As always, I'm concerned about the height along Richmond; I wish they could keep it 3-4 floors (the triangular area at the font).

I know RLA has produced some pretty crappy work over the years, but he has done some decent work as well. I didn't realize he designed all the other Mastercraft Starwood projects in Ottawa and a few decent projects on the Market. As long as he avoids all of his bad instincts from the Ashcroft projects closer to Island Park, we should be ok.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Watched the Open House. Seems pretty decent so far. As always, I'm concerned about the height along Richmond; I wish they could keep it 3-4 floors (the triangular area at the font).
I've wondered this for a while, why exactly do you think a main street in North America should be limited to 4 stories? The rest of the world gets along just fine with 4-6 stories along main streets in cities most exclaim to be prime examples of Urban form. Also, the building has a 4 story podium fronting Richmond.

As for on staying on topic, the building is within 300m (as the crow flies) of Dominion stations, and is a good fit for the area maybe a little short. The architecture of this will depend on the materials & colours chosen.

On a side note, that R3 zoning behind this building really needs to be upgraded, hopefully the new official plan takes care of that.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 11:33 AM

What other cities do outside of Ottawa generally doesn't concern me. I think 3-4 would be idea. 4-6 would be acceptable. This one is 9 floors on Richmond (with a very slight step-back at the fourth floor. The 4 storey portion is at the back, which is a good transition to Roosevelt).

Aschcroft has already taken a mostly empty area west of Island Park and turned into a canyon of 6 to 9 floors. I don't want to see the heart of Westboro get turned into a diverse, human-scale main street of small commercial store-fronts to the same bland, soulless condo canyon.

Montreal and Toronto have managed to preserve 3-4 floor traditional main streets along long-established subway lines 1 to 3 blocks away.

St-Denis:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5226...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Jean-Talon:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5283...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Bloor Street Village:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6618...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Danforth:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6794...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Why can't we preserve our traditional main streets that are 4-5 blocks away from our rapid transit line when we're also building a wall of 25-30 storey buildings directly on the subway, and have far fewer stations?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkRiverProperties View Post
I’ve always really enjoyed looking at those maps - is there a database of them somewhere? I’ve never had any luck finding high quality ones for specific areas like the one you have shared. Thanks.
Library and Archives Canada's website/database has tons of these maps digitised for most Canadian cities. I used the terms
"Insurance plan Ottawa" for these results: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/collec...urce=Archives&

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa