HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:47 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of with the NCC on this one.

Firstly, I'll call them out by saying that the "impeded access" to the waterfront argument is nonsense.

However, the visual pollution argument is very valid. The parkway is the city's most scenic stretch and must be protected. Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm assuming the LRT will operate via permanent overhead wire fixtures. If so, then I wouldn't want this infrastructure to visually degrade what is an otherwise stunning stretch of the city. It is for this reason that I'm all for burying this stretch. I don't pretend to know the logistics of doing that, and I know that the costs will be much higher, but I think the end result will be better.
But whose view is being affected? The line is on the south side of the Parkway travel lanes, in the opposite direction of the water, so it can't really be anyone travelling on the Parkway. Similarly anyone on the river shore pathway will not be affected. And even if there was some case there, planting a few lines of trees between the parkway and the rail line where they don't already exist would largely get rid of that issue.

The one group that would be affected are those who own the townhouses along there. But then... why does the NCC care about that particular group of property owners and not, say, those along Richmond or Byron?

Truth be told, it's not all that "stunning" along this particular stretch anyway. The growth of shoreline trees has largely screened the vista in the summer months if you're travelling at 60+ km/h.

This just isn't a stunning view, even if it once was. It's basically just grass and trees now. It's a bit more "stunning" further east at Westboro Beach and also near Pinecrest Creek, but not here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation