HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 10:54 PM

One has to wonder, though, if there would be a more effective way of preventing pedestrians from being injured or killed from falling pieces of ice... than a sign.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
One has to wonder, though, if there would be a more effective way of preventing pedestrians from being injured or killed from falling pieces of ice... than a sign.
It'll be too warm for ice in a few decades. Not to worry.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the signs could be removable so people could hold them over their heads when passing through.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
It'll be too warm for ice in a few decades. Not to worry.
Well... there's ONE plus to climate change...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Perhaps the signs could be removable so people could hold them over their heads when passing through.
That's a very practical solution... handles should be installed so they can be used as such!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 4:58 PM

For what it's worth, the original proposal for the pedestrian path had a glass roof, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

That's actually something I'd like to see more of on the narrower streets, though I guess not really cost effective or always practical. I spent some time in Japan recently, though, and the covered shopping arcades were neat.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:46 PM

I'm really impressed with the public realm around this one. It feels like they have actually built a part of the city rather than just buildings. The clock is a really nice touch.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm really impressed with the public realm around this one. It feels like they have actually built a part of the city rather than just buildings. The clock is a really nice touch.
Completely agree. The public courtyard looks great, and I'm happy they did a good job with this as the YMCA is a very important part of the community. Excited to see this in the summer when it's fully up and running.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking that's probably more a result of the setbacks than anything else. When I've seen them in person, they look fairly well proportioned to me, as seen in this Oct. 18 photo originally posted by RoshanMcG:

This really highlights for me how awful Nelson Place is. I thought the view out the back was bad... really amazing how lousy the lord Nelson looks from the back with these great looking buildings in every direction.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:55 AM

I don't mind it. While not beautiful the upper floors "work" with the rest of that streetscape (IMO) and I find the International Style (?) lower floors interesting. It all adds to the eclectic, slighly chaotic feel of that part of Sping Garden (which I see as a good thing). It probably would have looked better if the upper floors had actually matched the original structure in terms of window details, but I'm not upset about the end result. I'd take that over the Chateau Laurier + any of its proposed additions, tbh. Or the IMO hideous Fort Garry Place in Winnipeg.

Last edited by Hali87; Feb 23, 2020 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
For what it's worth, the original proposal for the pedestrian path had a glass roof, so it wouldn't have been an issue.
I walked by this morning and noticed they are installing a ring of that rain catching glass barrier above the street level windows. It's somewhat visible in the picture with the clock. However, it doesn't protrude much beyond the overhangs of the patios so won't offer much protection against falling ice, particularly on a windy day.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I don't mind it. While not beautiful the upper floors "work" with the rest of that streetscape (IMO) and I find the International Style (?) lower floors interesting. It all adds to the eclectic, slighly chaotic feel of that part of Sping Garden (which I see as a good thing). It probably would have looked better if the upper floors had actually matched the original structure in terms of window details, but I'm not upset about the end result. I'd take that over the Chateau Laurier + any of its proposed additions, tbh. Or the IMO hideous Fort Garry Place in Winnipeg.
Are we talking bout the same thing?
Nelson Place vs the Lord Nelson.
Nelson Place has the concrete perimeter on the windows.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:41 PM

^Yes, assuming that Nelson Place also includes the ground-floor retail etc. (It's just my opinion.)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:05 PM

I felt after calling out the courtyard I should post something. Car cry from a hundred steps or so to the other side with the new Curve. Its a weird view for an expensive hotel looking inwards.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Matthews View Post
I felt after calling out the courtyard I should post something. Car cry from a hundred steps or so to the other side with the new Curve. Its a weird view for an expensive hotel looking inwards.
Wow, you're right! I've seen industrial buildings that look better.

Curious that they didn't see fit to extend the bricks all the way around the building...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:43 PM

Totally agree. Perhaps theyre under that mess but doubt it. Honestly the Burnside shithole motel didnt look any worse per foot.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:53 PM

Was looking around to see if I could find any older photos that might prove it out one way or another, but couldn't find anything definitive at first.

This is from the Halifax Municipal Archives, from 1970:

Then I found this one shot from Citadel Hill in 1970, showing a lighter colour (definitely not brick) on the interior courtyard section (looks like the north wing hadn't been built yet):

As a bonus I found this shot taken at the entrance to the Public Gardens from 1959 or the early 1960s (newest car in the pic is a 1959 Ford) that shows the row of Victorians still in existence to the north of the Lord Nelson...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:26 PM

The parkade that is under the Paramount apartments which is connected to the Lord Nelson, although not old, is filled with rat traps so I would guess all the construction must have displaced a large number of them. I wonder if this development will also suffer from that affliction.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:25 AM

I have always been interested in the intensity of this city block, which must be unique in Atlantic Canada. There is so much going on: dense residential development, shops, office buildings, an underground shopping centre beneath a parking garage beneath a residential tower, cinemas, language schools, the new YMCA, a hotel with event facilities. I agree with the sentiment that the older buildings such as Nelson Place or Garrison Place add to the appeal. Cities that are excessively new, slick, and rationalised tend to be more boring and less vibrant (think Singapore vs. Hong Kong or Vancouver vs. Montreal). I love the mix of old and new on this block, and the diversity of uses.

Thanks for posting the old pics. It's striking to see a one-storey supermarket where Park Lane is now.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:29 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I have always been interested in the intensity of this city block, which must be unique in Atlantic Canada. There is so much going on: dense residential development, shops, office buildings, an underground shopping centre beneath a parking garage beneath a residential tower, cinemas, language schools, the new YMCA, a hotel with event facilities. I agree with the sentiment that the older buildings such as Nelson Place or Garrison Place add to the appeal. Cities that are excessively new, slick, and rationalised tend to be more boring and less vibrant (think Singapore vs. Hong Kong or Vancouver vs. Montreal). I love the mix of old and new on this block, and the diversity of uses.
South Park Street is one of the more "big city" looking areas in Halifax. There's the buildings themselves plus the wider street and sidewalks. Park Vic is not necessarily the most beautiful structure but it was ambitious when it was built, just like Fenwick.

Brunswick around Cogswell has potential too although it won't have a mix of old and new unless you consider 1960's old. It needs 3 new buildings to cement the canyon feel and all 3 of those are somewhere along the development process.

Barrington between the Green Lantern and Pacific Building meanwhile has an oddly underdeveloped small town feel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth