HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There still about 7 floors to go on the south tower (tower 1) and about 20 floors to go on the north tower (tower 2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Right now they're only about 11 floors into the 17 floor tower, and about 5 floors into the 25 floor tower. So still quite a ways to go.
Thanks

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebrr View Post
Thanks
You're welcome!

I know it's not massive, but TNS already has an formidable presence at street level... even if they stopped construction now and left it as an 11/6 storey pair, it would actually be a decent project on its own.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:09 PM

Quote:
You're welcome!

I know it's not massive, but TNS already has an formidable presence at street level... even if they stopped construction now and left it as an 11/6 storey pair, it would actually be a decent project on its own.
I agree. Nice density even at the current height. Looking forward to seeing what the final project looks like.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:01 PM

They need to put that camera outside. It's useless there.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:41 PM

^ The glare goes away once the sun get's over the top of the building, providing a fairly nice view. But yes, agreed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
What "criminal element" are you referring to?
A quick search finds this:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=drug+bust+...v52-7b_&ia=web

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
And there are drug busts in rich neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Portage Place is in a class all by itself. The food court needs to go; sad that it has to come to this, but it is nasty there. I would much rather see many storefront restaurants than the crime-ridden food court at PP.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
And there are drug busts in rich neighbourhoods.
An excerpt from above link: Do they have this?
Quote:
that being said this has been a well known drug spot for at least what .... 20 years now? they would only have to increase police presence for a few weeks to end it being a popular spot

I doubt anyone that has seen the state of that place in the last couple years would say that. It truly feels unsafe. More patrolling would be welcome.

Why does it feel unsafe? I just got home from Portage Place, bought some of the clear out stuff at hmv. Walked through the food court, used the bathroom. Never did I feel unsafe.

If you were to believe some people around here, I should be bleeding out on the sidewalk right now.

4 months ago*

Sample size man. I work at Portage Place in a telecom kiosk about 25 hours a week. This is the same mall that had somebody carrying around a machete a while back. I saw 3 cops, one of which wielding a combat shotgun, cruise through the mall before noon on a weekday 2ish weeks ago to deal with a situation out back. There's constantly yelling through the concourse as domestics almost/do breakout. I know many on the laundry list of people who are banned from the mall, and call up security to alert them to their being in the mall once a shift. I've been threatened by drunks, obvious junkies, the ill, and any combinaton of those listed for breaking the news that they aren't eligible for a smartphone. My boss has gotten subpoena'd already this year after witnessing incidents in the mall, and I filled out my second witness report the other day. The food court is the wild west. Go back and open your ears and eyes to the surroundings and there's a fair chance you might hear/see something that may be against the law. The place also passes the "Chester Fried" test, which should say more than enough. With the abundance of Somali refugees trying to get themselves on track here (Service Canada is in the mall, and the "Somali Special" is a bring your own phone pre paid plan) the racial outbursts aren't common, but aren't unheard of, and could easily cause a large altercation (Both groups tend to travel in packs while in PP). I'm surprised you didn't encounter anything after stepping into the hell hole that is the first floor bathroom, as there's usually somebody passed out inside of it's smelly confines, which also double as a knife fight colleseum and an octagon. A Manitoba Multi Purpose arena if you will. Add on that once the majority of the working class leaves the vicinity and skywalks at around 4:30ish, that place becomes the wild west and gets extra tense and even more rowdy. The mall's only open till 9 twice a week, I believe not only because of lack of deamand, but to mitigate potential risk. The staggering number of people not in a remotley sober state, or those with hoods up and heads low who roll in to "hangout" past 6 isn't exactly uncommon. I've been offered dope, rocks, and xanax to get customers a phone or take a sizable chunk off of their deposit. We constantly have to factory reset the demo phones in the kiosk, as they tend to get logged into a facebook account, and used for "recreational" purposes. I agree, it's not the north end handshake factory that people make it out to be, but by no means is it by definition safe.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:17 PM

Believe it or not, the city, province and feds once spent a vast amount of money buying up property and building a lavish new complex to rid North Portage of its seedy elements that were deemed unsavoury by the middle classes. The end result was... wait for it... Portage Place.

What is the mall landlord supposed to do, shut down the profitable food court on account of the fact that not enough white people patronize it?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Believe it or not, the city, province and feds once spent a vast amount of money buying up property and building a lavish new complex to rid North Portage of its seedy elements that were deemed unsavoury by the middle classes. The end result was... wait for it... Portage Place.

What is the mall landlord supposed to do, shut down the profitable food court on account of the fact that not enough white people patronize it?
LOL.. ..white people. Why must some fool's make this about race?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:37 PM

^What does this have to do with TNS? Calling people fools when you have never met them? Come back on the forum after years away and start forcing your will on everyone. Let's chill out a bit.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 7:54 PM
BANNED

It is not about white people, it is about a great deal of trashy people causing shit in the area.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^What does this have to do with TNS? Calling people fools when you have never met them? Come back on the forum after years away and start forcing your will on everyone. Let's chill out a bit.
And somehow that is better than calling someone a racist when they have never met? Your logic is strange. Racism is not cool and you should hang your head in shame for condoning it.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 8:30 PM
There is always a way

Anyways to get back to the discussion here is a bump for the current page. Gotta love all this TNS chatter right

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post

And somehow that is better than calling someone a racist when they have never met? Your logic is strange. Racism is not cool and you should hang your head in shame for condoning it.
Thanks for putting words in my mouth. You know nothing about me. I'll leave it at that.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Anyways to get back to the discussion here is a bump for the current page. Gotta love all this TNS chatter right
haha. The photo from 3:00pm looks great. No glare. The project is looking good too!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:37 PM

Good picture. I watched the workers place the wire frame on the corner of the lower tower right in line with the crane. First they straightened the rebar sticking out of the floor and then they tied in the frame. I was wondering if they would build a wood frame but now I see they use a prebuilt form for the concrete.

They also used a small crane to move some solid looking pieces of steel with a heavy spring on one end. I thought those might be for an earthquake.

And earlier a man in a white hat explained the extra large beam with wires sticking out of it on the second floor. It's a big load bearing beam and they are going to tension it once the concrete cures to the desired state.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Good picture. I watched the workers place the wire frame on the corner of the lower tower right in line with the crane. First they straightened the rebar sticking out of the floor and then they tied in the frame. I was wondering if they would build a wood frame but now I see they use a prebuilt form for the concrete.

They also used a small crane to move some solid looking pieces of steel with a heavy spring on one end. I thought those might be for an earthquake.

And earlier a man in a white hat explained the extra large beam with wires sticking out of it on the second floor. It's a big load bearing beam and they are going to tension it once the concrete cures to the desired state.
I noticed way back they have a two floor atrium type space at that location (in tower 1 NE corner) and there was no column in the middle. Now when you walk by on the street, the beam overhead is quite large. The strands sticking out are post tensioning cables. More commonly used in bridges. They pull the cables tight with hydraulic jacks to support the beam. Pretty neat actually. They'll cut the remaining strands off when they're ready and it will all be hidden.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 10:00 PM

Just walked by and I see the already cut the strands. It's actually a T-shaped beam in there. Will post photos when I get home.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan