HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
We simply do not need exurban sprawl 70 miles from the core of the metro. We need infil development and to reduce our footprint. I really hope the environmental groups sue and sue and sue until the developer gives up. Nothing will convince me that this development is a good idea. I literally drove through there yesterday.. 103 degrees, extremely dry and in the middle of no where.... And that's after a wet year
The demand exists and we do need it as there isn't room closer other than to build up and not everyone wants that. Next time an environmental group sues to stop your concrete jungle project you ought not to complain about that. I hope the judges make the sensible decision and dismiss the lawsuits so this development will continue. I might even consider a house here as I'm eyeing this area and south oc.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
We simply do not need exurban sprawl 70 miles from the core of the metro. We need infil development and to reduce our footprint. I really hope the environmental groups sue and sue and sue until the developer gives up. Nothing will convince me that this development is a good idea. I literally drove through there yesterday.. 103 degrees, extremely dry and in the middle of no where.... And that's after a wet year
Then do something about building more housing in the core (ie LA Basin between the mountains and the 105) instead of all this NIMBY stuff going on because eventually you'll have developments like Tejon Ranch and that other super huge one just south of it being built by Newhall (name escapes me). The suburbanization of the deserts are also ramping up and it'll be pretty solid between The Antelope Valley and High Desert in the not so distant future.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:09 PM

It's important to note that something like 90% of the 270,000 acres are to be preserved as part of the development agreement. I'm not saying I support it but that's a huge component of the project.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Then do something about building more housing in the core (ie LA Basin between the mountains and the 105) instead of all this NIMBY stuff going on because eventually you'll have developments like Tejon Ranch and that other super huge one just south of it being built by Newhall (name escapes me). The suburbanization of the deserts are also ramping up and it'll be pretty solid between The Antelope Valley and High Desert in the not so distant future.
The city of LA currently has thousands of units under construction in the core. Im not sure what I can do personally since I don't have developer money but I'm an advocate for much more infill development and live the life myself.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:39 AM

Quote:
The city of LA currently has thousands of units under construction in the core. Im not sure what I can do personally since I don't have developer money but I'm an advocate for much more infill development and live the life myself.
I think a big problem is the price of these apartments. Have you seen the costs to move into these things? It is unreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
It's important to note that something like 90% of the 270,000 acres are to be preserved as part of the development agreement. I'm not saying I support it but that's a huge component of the project.
Interesting and thanks for pointing that out. I would like to know the full cost of this project and it would be nice if the developer would pay into Metrolink electrification proposals to expedite that project. I myself am not opposed to "sprawl" tax but the problem is CA is so over taxed already and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere it is hard for me to get behind new taxes. I was a big supporter of SB-1 but with the massive state surplus more should be happening.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:10 PM

Have the Century Plaza towers stopped construction? I less construction workers there on the way to my office.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Have the Century Plaza towers stopped construction? I less construction workers there on the way to my office.
Definitely not stopped. Walked by today and saw some site activity. Looks like maybe they were increasing the height of the crane... perhaps that slows work down in the interim.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 7:58 PM

Ah, ok. I walk by at 6:40 AM, but usually thats when alot of construction guys arrive. So I found it weird.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Ah, ok. I walk by at 6:40 AM, but usually thats when alot of construction guys arrive. So I found it weird.
Yeah, I'd say it was a lower level of activity than usual, but definitely not stopped.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:53 PM

https://argonautnews.com/sros-are-back-in-style/

SROS ARE BACK IN STYLE-DOWNTOWN SANTA MONICA TO GET HUNDREDS OF TINY APARTMENTS OFFERED AT MARKET RATE

Quote:
Under terms of an agreement between Santa Monica city leaders and prominent developer WS Communities, six new apartment buildings slated for Fifth, Six and Seventh streets would create hundreds of new SRO-style units, the majority of them leased at market rate.

The deal specifies that market-rate SROs must be leased to people, not corporations, according to legal representatives of the city. Policymakers hope that an infusion of smaller housing units at more attainable prices may help alleviate a shortage of housing options that working people can afford.

SRO units planned for downtown Santa Monica would span at least 225 square feet, not including a bathroom and closet. According to the city attorney’s office, each SRO is required to have a separate bathroom (including toilet, shower and sink) as well as a cooking appliance, refrigerator and kitchen sink.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 4:40 PM

The changing face of Cahuenga Blvd -

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:17 PM

Sunset and Bronson -

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 6:30 PM

Academy Square

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 8:41 PM

Yea, I was in the area yesteday. Awesome changes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 11:33 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Time to start planning that Santa Monica / Sunset subway...

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
https://argonautnews.com/sros-are-back-in-style/

SROS ARE BACK IN STYLE-DOWNTOWN SANTA MONICA TO GET HUNDREDS OF TINY APARTMENTS OFFERED AT MARKET RATE
Why not just have community baths/showers at the end of each floor, to add more SF to the units? It also gives opportunities to meet other residents.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2019, 9:14 PM

6200 Sunset -

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 1:55 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Sunset & Bronson turned out really nice! Man, that area is undergoing a huge change. Here's hoping the hotel tower at the Jack in the Box moves forward soon. And - a girl can dream - the Palladium towers (though not holding out hope for those).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Why not just have community baths/showers at the end of each floor, to add more SF to the units? It also gives opportunities to meet other residents.
Probably a code issue in Santa Monica.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Sunset & Bronson turned out really nice! Man, that area is undergoing a huge change. Here's hoping the hotel tower at the Jack in the Box moves forward soon. And - a girl can dream - the Palladium towers (though not holding out hope for those).

Probably a code issue in Santa Monica.

They are already repurposing the former Yoshinoya at Santa Monica and Vine to a Jack in the Box and - from what I understand - closing the Suuset Blvd location when it is ready.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 11:34 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Oh man, that is awesome if that is why they are making the switch. I know that's been a top-performing Jack in the Box location for some time (they were an old client of mine for many years), so glad to see they are relocating to make way for the tower, but not totally shutting down shop.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations