HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 6:25 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Love the cantilever and the skylights, but I think they missed the mark in two ways:

1. They promise plenty of light, but have pretty large expanses of corrugated metal walls that actually block a lot of light. Why not make the entire envelope of the building in floor to ceiling glass with glazing that accounts for solar gain? That would let in more light and create a much cleaner design, which would only help to accentuate that cantilever
2. They have a 5-story parking garage. Why the hell do they need a surface lot? Site the building closer to the street, and utilize the interior courtyard for landscaped gathering space or even recreational space (tennis courts, etc) for employees. This could easily be done very tastefully with drought resistant plants, and would be more desirable to these tech firms, who can certainly pay the increased money for those upgrades.

To me this feels like a design with a lot of potential that is only half-baked in it's current form.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 9:24 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

"The Brickyard" Playa Vista

"The Brickyard" Playa Vista

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:22 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Whoa! Didn't realize that was that far along!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:28 AM

I want to go on a bike ride to the beach this weekend. What would be the best route to take from Hollywood?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:12 AM

King, I would recommend picking up Hauser near Park La Brea and taking it down to Venice Blvd; turn left for 7-mile straight run to the beach bike path -- or continuing down Hauser (nice, calm way to get under I-10 Freeway) to Jefferson and getting down to the Ballona Creek dedicated bike path Where Expo Line crosses Ballona channel and taking it all the way to the beach bike path south of the Marina jetties. On the way back there is a possible detour to see Playa Vista development south of Jefferson or lunch in Culver City's downtown.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenchiku desu View Post
King, I would recommend picking up Hauser near Park La Brea and taking it down to Venice Blvd; turn left for 7-mile straight run to the beach bike path -- or continuing down Hauser (nice, calm way to get under I-10 Freeway) to Jefferson and getting down to the Ballona Creek dedicated bike path Where Expo Line crosses Ballona channel and taking it all the way to the beach bike path south of the Marina jetties. On the way back there is a possible detour to see Playa Vista development south of Jefferson or lunch in Culver City's downtown.
thanks. great advice. Santa Monica seems like a fast route but it's very anti bike/pedestrian. I heard Venice was good but I had not thought about taking Hauser to there.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 1:22 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I don't recall this one being mentioned here before, but this is decent looking low-rise proposed in Hollywood near a bunch of projects currently under construction.

Article source: http://laist.com/2016/03/30/anita_ma..._hollywood.php

Quote:

Both LGBT Seniors And Young Adults Will Live In This New Hollywood Housing Complex
by Danny Jensen in News on Mar 30, 2016 11:38 am

A housing campus for LGBT seniors and young adults to be built in Hollywood starting this year will be the first of its kind in the country.

The new complex, known as the Anita May Rosenstein Campus, will house over 200 seniors and youth, according to KPCC. The campus will also serve as the new headquarters for the Los Angeles LGBT Center—the organization behind the $100 million project—which has provided services to the community since 1969. The building is expected to be completed in 2019 at 1116 N. McCadden Place near Santa Monica Blvd., just around the corner from the soon-to-be-demolished Circus Disco, which long served as another hub for the LGBT community.
Read the rest of the article here: http://laist.com/2016/03/30/anita_ma..._hollywood.php

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 3:27 AM

Not sure if I missed it being mentioned on the forum here, but the Century Plaza hotel is closed in preparation for the new project with the twin towers behind it. Do we know the date of the ground breaking on this project?

By the way, Century City looks great right now with 10000 Santa Monica and the Waldorf. 10000 is an amazing looking building from every angle... One of my favorite buildings in LA right now...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 5:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ I work across the street from the Century Plaza Hotel and it has indeed been closed since the beginning of March. But the Equinox right behind it - which is presumably part of the project - is still open, so I think it may be a few months off from starting serious construction.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 11:36 PM

Cool buildings on La Brea

Untitled by Oscar Gake, on Flickr

New SLS

Construction of the new academy museum or whatever

Future site of Purple Line Fairfax/Wilshire station

I like the garage door of this complex. we need more of those.

This should've been bigger since it's a block from a future transit station.

10000 SM

I found out about this project last week and it really pisses me off. A site equivalent to the size of about two downtown blocks, wasted on 60 Inland Empire style McMansions. Fuck DR Horton.

Nice infill by La Cienega/Jefferson station

That new Sony building in Culver City

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 3:40 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/new-renderin...latinum-center

Anaheim's LT Platinum Center gets a new look

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 6:13 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/five-story-d...rising-west-la

Five-story building with 71 apartments and 3,700 sq. ft. of retail space underway in West L.A.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://urbanize.la/post/new-renderin...latinum-center

Anaheim's LT Platinum Center gets a new look

Looks very very 1990's.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 11:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah, at the very least it looks like it should be titled "Pre-recession proposal"...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:25 AM

http://www.presstelegram.com/governm...olished-monday

Some news out of Long Beach. The old court house building (which took up prime real estate on ocean blvd. in the heart of downtown) is currently being torn down (half way done and ahead of schedule, the article is a month old) and is being replaced by a new civic center since apparently our current 14 story 250 foot tall city hall ( which can be seen in the background in the picture in the article) is on the verge of collapse with the next moderate sized earthquake according to architects and city engineer, I believe it, I was down there last week and the foundation around it is noticeably sinking oddly. .

Long Beach new tower(s) project "The Current" is pretty much done with phase one, the 19 story tower, Phase 2 (31 floors I believe) still hasn't broken ground yet but the dirt plot next door where its going has been cleared so I'm guessing foundation work will be starting soon.
heres the new website.

http://thecurrentliving.com/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 3:50 PM

New renderings for the Academy

$300-million development from Kilroy Realty includes a 23-story/261-foot tall tower with 250 residential units, plus 235,000 square feet of offices and over 40,000 square feet of retail space.

Scheduled for a Q3 2016 groundbreaking.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:12 PM

^^^ Looks like they added some floors to the smaller buildings. They kept the layout/footprint but changed the designs all the way.

The tower looks ok but the smaller buildings look like a public high school or city college or something. Not horrible but they should've just went with the all glass look if that's the case.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
New renderings for the Academy

$300-million development from Kilroy Realty includes a 23-story/261-foot tall tower with 250 residential units, plus 235,000 square feet of offices and over 40,000 square feet of retail space.

Scheduled for a Q3 2016 groundbreaking.

This is exciting!! A Q3 groundbreaking... Awesome. I wish the palladium towers had a groundbreaking as soon as Q3.

By the way, for as whelming as Eastown aka blvd 6200's design is from the upper levels; their retail game is hitting HARD!!! To add to the already impressive list of tenants; Just revealed, a Shake Shack is under construction. They just put up the construction banner/advertisement. Can't wait to see what phase 2 brings to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 11:40 PM

^It looks like they made it less colorful which I don't exactly like. That seems to be the trend right now, which can be both good and bad I guess. Still very exciting project. Can't wait to see how mad NIMBYs get when it breaks ground

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:28 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think this is a step down design-wise for the low-rise buildings (when will this corrugated metal fad end?!?!), but it's not a huge step down. And the tower is really just making lateral moves: it was okay before and it's just okay now. Nothing to write home about. I really do like the programming of this, however, and hope it gets off the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations