HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:33 PM

The Barbours General Store site is getting a whopping $2 million in the next capital budget to “re- envision the site of the Barbours General Store including design and construction management”.

$1 million is coming from the city and the other is from what I assume to be a bilateral funding agreement between the feds and province.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
The Barbours General Store site is getting a whopping $2 million in the next capital budget to “re- envision the site of the Barbours General Store including design and construction management”.

$1 million is coming from the city and the other is from what I assume to be a bilateral funding agreement between the feds and province.
Does it envision keeping it? I hope they put it on a barge and ship it back up river where it came from, be historically more accurate. That spot should be a 5 story building.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Does it envision keeping it? I hope they put it on a barge and ship it back up river where it came from, be historically more accurate. That spot should be a 5 story building.
I’m wondering if the $2 million is to prep the lot for new construction. The store has been sitting in disrepair for a while now. I’ve never been in it but I’ve heard the whole thing about is over hyped.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I’m wondering if the $2 million is to prep the lot for new construction. The store has been sitting in disrepair for a while now. I’ve never been in it but I’ve heard the whole thing about is over hyped.
Rumour has it that the store is going and a new development is being built - from what I hear it will be spectacular.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Rumour has it that the store is going and a new development is being built - from what I hear it will be spectacular.
Hopefully we get some renders soon!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:54 PM

You know what would be a good spot for the general store? Queen Square. Use it for Farmers Market related infrastructure and washrooms (locked otherwise). It has a very small footprint.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Any additional info on this? Sounds interesting

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:22 AM

A very small footprint, 36 storey museum

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
You know what would be a good spot for the general store? Queen Square. Use it for Farmers Market related infrastructure and washrooms (locked otherwise). It has a very small footprint.
What do you mean locked otherwise? Saint John could use more public washrooms, particularly in the Uptown.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
What do you mean locked otherwise? Saint John could use more public washrooms, particularly in the Uptown.
I was thinking more a stall or two for vendors stuck there all day, storage, etc. Not so much public. Too old of a building to put a self-cleaning unit in like Main St in Moncton.

I take a dim view of SJ's ability to maintain any new public infrastructure at this time.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 9:47 PM

ICS Creative Agency

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 11:00 PM

@jorgenrique217

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post

ICS Creative Agency
what a cool shot!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 7:29 PM

[url=https://ibb.co/TwDKjYF]

@ICScreativeagency

Last edited by NewIreland; Aug 28, 2022 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:45 PM

City manager provided an update on the new central peninsula school and said in his discussions with Premier Higgs the province has narrowed the site selection down to 2 and that a decision will likely be made this month.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 6:50 PM

They're currently installing decorative screening around the 99 King street site showing the renderings for the project along with slogans like "Play Uptown, Live on King!" and "Be Part of the Uptown Experience!" And a crest with “99 King”. If the project was drastically stalled or cancelled, I could see them including the slogans, but why bother with the renderings? Does this warrant some optimism?

Last edited by Sabien; Sep 21, 2022 at 7:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
They're currently installing decorative screening around the 99 King street site showing the renderings for the project along with slogans like "Play Uptown, Live on King!" and "Be Part of the Uptown Experience!" And a crest with “99 King”. If the project was drastically stalled or cancelled, I could see them including the slogans, but why bother with the renderings? Does this warrant some optimism?
Tentatively, I will say yes. I like to take the glass half full viewpoint.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Lets hope so. It would be a major addition and a big improvement for the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I would assume this would have had to have the approval of Wilbur. If so it’s a sign of confidence he envisions building on this site. When? That remains to be seen but hopefully soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 8:43 PM
ハルウララ

Patience, patience...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces