HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:39 PM
Ham-burgher

It's going to be a lower-end brand hotel. My expectations were always light.

That said, I just stayed in the Courtyard on Upper James for a few days. For a cheapish build, the rooms are quite sound proof. I found the same thing was true a couple years ago for the Homewood Suites downtown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 5:18 PM

Vomit

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 5:53 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Not gonna lie I actually like those modern townhomes I just don't think they are in the right part of town. Everything else is horrendous. Thanks for all the updates Lachlan!
If it weren’t for the faux-rock concret stuff, I wouldn’t mind. Toss some clean metallic cladding on top of the concrete and it could be very nice indeed.

So close.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 8:22 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's going to be a lower-end brand hotel. My expectations were always light.

That said, I just stayed in the Courtyard on Upper James for a few days. For a cheapish build, the rooms are quite sound proof. I found the same thing was true a couple years ago for the Homewood Suites downtown.
It is going to be a Hampton Inn which is a Hilton brand.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 1:18 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
It is going to be a Hampton Inn which is a Hilton brand.
Thanks!

Yep, a Four Seasons it will not be.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 1:26 PM

Hampton are still a Hilton Brand, which aren't exactly Super-8's or a Travelodge. It's not Four Seasons but it's not a "Cheap" hotel either.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Ok then. There may be some hope for this:

Rather than a downtown version of...

Given it's a Vranich build, it will probably be akin to this:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 7:47 PM

By the looks of it thus project will end up looking pretty close to the 3rd pic you posted

QUOTE=ScreamingViking;9558888]Ok then. There may be some hope for this:

Rather than a downtown version of...

Given it's a Vranich build, it will probably be akin to this:

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 1:19 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Vrancor tweaks King West highrise plan amid dispute
Strathcona neighbourhood critic welcomes ‘step in the right direction’ but still opposes overall 25-storey proposal

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...=&utm_content=

The pitch is still 25 storeys, but the plan for a disputed residential highrise just outside downtown Hamilton has shifted.

Vrancor has revised it so the mixed-use tower planned for a King Street West site steps down to 12 storeys closer to the low-rise homes behind it.

That’s “still really tall” but a “step in the right direction,” says Wayne MacPhail, a longtime resident on nearby Ray Street North and steady critic of the highrise plans.

“They should have done it sooner rather than just gaslighting us that it was a dandy project from the very beginning,” he added.

Vrancor, meanwhile, says the tweaks spring from a consultative relationship with city planners and community feedback.

“I think collaboration is good and compromise where it makes sense also is good, and I think that’s what you’re seeing here,” said Mario Frankovich, vice-president of investment and strategic planning.

Other changes for the 315-unit building include slimmer floor plates, room for a curving staircase at the King entrance and a commitment to make five per cent of the units on the site three-bedroom.

The project for the King Street parcel — which is hemmed in by Queen, Ray and Market streets — is under dispute before the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT).

Late last year, Vrancor filed its appeal with the OLT under legislation that allows challenges for applications that city councils fail to handle within 120 days.

Frankovich said there was a “significant amount of conversation and collaboration” with city staff before Vrancor filed the appeal, but the application “came to an impasse where it needed to have some form of deadline provided.”

The 25-storey proposal — which adds 19 storeys to six storeys the city had approved previously — is to accompany a partially built 12-storey hotel at the corner of King and Queen on the same parcel.

The development, where an orphanage once stood across from the historic Scottish Rite on King, also includes some low-rise units, including two-storey townhouses on Market.

On a parking lot just to the north, Vrancor also hopes to construct two buildings that will reach 27 storeys and two others at 15 storeys.

MacPhail, who started a group called the Strathcona Shadow Dwellers to fight Vrancor’s plans, has argued they’re way too much for his mostly low-slung neighbourhood.

Residents have expressed concerns about potential traffic congestion, shadows, loss of privacy and a design they argue clashes with Strathcona’s heritage character.

Shifting the 12-storey step-down from the site’s southwest corner — which faces the busy King Street arterial and future LRT route — north toward the homes is positive, MacPhail said.

“But it’s not really addressing our main concern, which is the density of a 25-storey tower. That still becomes an issue.”

The city and its expert witnesses also contend the height is out of step with local zoning provisions and overarching planning policies.

At 25 storeys, the proposal “creates significant and cumulative adverse impacts” that the previous six-storey plan didn’t, “or even a taller mid-rise building ...” would present, planner Matt Reid wrote in witness statement for the city.

William Neal, an architect hired by the developer, opined the revised plan “will not negatively impact existing view corridors, but will enhance local fabric, support transit routes and offer greater variety of housing options in a growing neighbourhood.”

The OLT hearing is scheduled for late June.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 12:47 AM

I'm glad he's compromising a bit here, it the best for everyone. But the nimbyism in this area is unbelievable. This location makes perfect sense for intensification with the LRT coming through. At least Vranich wants to invest in this city, but people want to knock him down. Just let him build already and help increase the city's tax revenue, we need it!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:18 PM
Ham-burgher

I wonder if their fight is more about what comes next on the blocks north than what is going to happen near the corner on King. Fail to nip/tuck this Vranich tower and there's a stronger precedent for others.

I can imagine tall buildings getting proposed in the future around Queen and York. IMO they'd fit there, but neighbourhood residents may disagree, especially west of Queen.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:57 PM

What I find weird is having been down there Saturday, there's a bunch of large apartment buildings in the immediate vicinity.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:24 PM

It's funny because the same progressive politicians like Nann and Wilson will say "we need more housing" while at the same time support groups like the shadow dwellers. It's pathetic and the precise reason why nothing gets done in this city.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 3:24 PM

It's just plain NIMBYism. There is a 25 storey building literally kitty-corner to the site, the height is fine.

We saw the same thing yesterday when Council approved the OPA implementing the no-urban-boundary-expansion growth planning. Councillors tried to throw in some anti gentle intensification measures to prevent second units and triplexes in neighbourhoods.

Everyone wants no sprawl and no intensification either. It's just NIMBY.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:57 PM

Vranich builds mostly ugly, utilitarian buildings but these citizens that are complaining are just being NIMBYS. I truly believe that there should be ZERO houses physically within the downtown and as it expands outwards after all the parking lots are toast, then houses nearby should be bought up and turned into something more. Citizens should be asking concerned about how each new building addresses the street and the nieghbourhood around it, excessive bulkiness, poor design, terrible materials and colours, lack of amenities, indoor parking door location, onsite daycares, etc. and not how tall it is.

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 10:40 PM

He definitely doesn't build the prettiest buildings. But at least he's building something. At least he's willing to invest in Hamilton. The hundreds of residents he brings to the downtown core are leading Hamilton's renaissance.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 11:40 AM

Marquee was one of the best exterior builds that Hamilton has seen in a long time (save the ginormous concrete podium north face - which incredibly never been tagged). Would love to see that quality built into this project. No rush going on at hotel component, small spurt when two additional floors approved and promptly added, but since then all quiet, no glazing, etc.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:42 PM

Not much new here.
366 King Street West by Pulkvedis Pods, on Flickr

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:49 PM

I wonder what's taking so long here for the hotel. They got the permit to do the rest of it a little while ago, added the two extra floors, then it seems to have been quiet since.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton