HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:07 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:18 PM
It's Hammer Time

What are they gonna do? Keep building up to ten floors as originally approved for the hotel building and halt construction and wait to see if they get city's approval to go up another two more floors?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 8:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
What are they gonna do? Keep building up to ten floors as originally approved for the hotel building and halt construction and wait to see if they get city's approval to go up another two more floors?
Wouldn't be a bad idea.

It's legoblock building anyways. Modular pieces.

And dayum this is going up fast. But why are some of the modular pieces black and others white? There seems to be no rhyme or reason..

New page so render for reference:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:27 AM

This one is flying

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:04 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
As if Vranich would wait for permission. The structure of the tenth floor of the hotel is complete and materials for the 11th floor arrived on site today.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:12 PM

Any news on this project. Its fall, almost winter and have yet to hear if Vranich got his variance.

The first tower, depending if you count the almost above grade first floor along King but fully above grade along Queen is 11 (or 12) floors. there is quite a slope from King going N on Queen)

Lots of moving stuff around the foundation of the second tower but no actual construction yet.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 11:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

The hotel portion is already over ten storeys, so technically, they are in by-law violation and could be served a work stop notice.

Unless they already have an approved permit.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost the Hammer View Post
Its fall, almost winter and have yet to hear if Vranich got his variance.
I have no clue what the hold up is. When the news of the application for increased height broke, they said a decision would come "Fall 2020", but they haven't even scheduled a date on which to make that decision yet.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:20 PM

If you look at the renderings, it's 11 storeys above the podium. Which means that the city isn't counting the extra floor along Queen St.

So it looks like Vranich is indeed holding off at the 10th floor while he waits for permits, at least for now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:27 PM
Forever forward.

Awful.

This afternoon:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:55 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Not awful... BRUTAL!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Not awful... BRUTAL!
My fear is that in 5 years we'll have a terrible sense of remorse for getting into bed with him...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 12:10 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
My fear is that in 5 years we'll have a terrible sense of remorse for getting into bed with him...
Wholeheartedly agree.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:22 AM
Hamilton Historian

I don't get the difference in colours of precast slabs - was he unable to get them all from one distributor?

This looks like a building I would make in fallout 4..

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I don't get the difference in colours of precast slabs - was he unable to get them all from one distributor?

This looks like a building I would make in fallout 4..
I appreciate this reference.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 12:06 AM

Not to pile on, because the point has clearly been made, but notice 75 Queen in the background of one of the photos - 40+ years old and still an attractive and desirable property. Darko's taking us in the wrong direction.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Not to pile on, because the point has clearly been made, but notice 75 Queen in the background of one of the photos - 40+ years old and still an attractive and desirable property. Darko's taking us in the wrong direction.
I love the closed in balconies as well. 75% of people don't use their balconies and it's just wasted space. My condo in Burlington is 555sqft and the balcony is 162sqft. While I and my partner would totally use such a large balcony because we love being outside, I would have preferred a 717sqft condo instead. Add another 100sqft parking spot, and without the parking spot I could have had 817sqft condo. My tenant doesn't even have a car because it's a good spot where someone wouldn't need a car.

A closed in balcony would be great. The shitty amenities like a kid's room that makes no sense, and would have been better to been a regular daycare subsidized on 5henfirst floor would have been preferable.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 12:49 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I love the closed in balconies as well. 75% of people don't use their balconies and it's just wasted space. My condo in Burlington is 555sqft and the balcony is 162sqft. While I and my partner would totally use such a large balcony because we love being outside, I would have preferred a 717sqft condo instead. Add another 100sqft parking spot, and without the parking spot I could have had 817sqft condo. My tenant doesn't even have a car because it's a good spot where someone wouldn't need a car.

A closed in balcony would be great. The shitty amenities like a kid's room that makes no sense, and would have been better to been a regular daycare subsidized on 5henfirst floor would have been preferable.
Id prefer a balcony that you can open and close to the outside - like panels you can slide and lock so those who want to experience the outside can and those who don't don't have to.

Also my balcony is long and narrow - which makes it useless for most things - I wish theyd make them deeper.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Id prefer a balcony that you can open and close to the outside - like panels you can slide and lock so those who want to experience the outside can and those who don't don't have to.

Also my balcony is long and narrow - which makes it useless for most things - I wish theyd make them deeper.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Much more useful. Mine is 6ft deep thankfully so it is actually huge. They even had 7ft ones. But the condo board is so controlling too over what lights can be hung, how many pieces of furniture can be on the balcony, the types of false flooring that can be used.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton