HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:32 AM
Forever forward.

Westgate on Main (415 Main St W) | 25.3m | 6 fl | Under Construction

This one flew under the radar, it's a proposal to replace the old Dairy Queen near Main and Dundurn which closed within the last two years, IIRC.

Its a six storey condominium designed by Kirshenblatt Urban Architecture - although it appears more like seven storeys with the units on the mezzanine level.

It has 111 units, 16 of which are bachelor units, 83 of which are one-bedroom units, and 12 of which are two-bedroom units.

It's headed to the Committee of Adjustment on December 3rd.

Elevations and some perspective drawings can be viewed on the CofA documents for this project.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 5:35 PM
Hamilton Historian

lol @ the use of greenery on every single glass surface..

why can't they just realistically render these things.. gives it an artificial feeling that it is a green black and white building instead of.. just a black and white building..

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 5:50 PM

That's quite nice, love the green elements too. Not a lot of the sustainable elements incorporated into current proposals, so a nice change.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
That's quite nice, love the green elements too. Not a lot of the sustainable elements incorporated into current proposals, so a nice change.
Don't get too excited, most of that probably won't make it into the final build.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
lol @ the use of greenery on every single glass surface..

why can't they just realistically render these things.. gives it an artificial feeling that it is a green black and white building instead of.. just a black and white building..
I've seen new buildings that have manicured planters on the edges like this that are properly maintained by the building.

I do think if they're not going to actually be a part of it, they shouldn't be included in the render. This is some decent density to add along this stretch though. I love midrises and this is a perfect density to be adding in addition to some taller buildings.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 11:59 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Apparently Main St is only two lanes of light traffic now!?

Joking aside this is excellent use of that plot of land. Based on the render only, looks like the only real planters are at ground level. The ones on the balconies are artistic only and agreed should not be included then if they have no real plans to incorporate them.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:15 PM

Community meeting about this development: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/regi...09fQpukcb3UKJ8

Get out and share your support. I do find it interesting that it seems like there will be no commercial on the ground floor. My understanding was the city wanted all new developments to contain mixed use elements, and while Main is a pedestrian hellhole now, it surely will not forever be.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:35 PM

the only way Main sheds the hellhole image is making it two way & making sidewalks wider so people don't get run over by the scooter mafia.

speaking of spaces that would be a good use of land, fire up the google maps and look across the street at all that barren concrete.

this is what you see.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:52 PM

Doesn't Lamb own that?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:09 PM

Kirshenblatt is, or I guess was the Kir in Kirkor. This looks like crap though. The architects website has another render shown below. Hopefully this design continues to evolve.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
the only way Main sheds the hellhole image is making it two way & making sidewalks wider so people don't get run over by the scooter mafia.

speaking of spaces that would be a good use of land, fire up the google maps and look across the street at all that barren concrete.

this is what you see.

I no longer care whether Main is two-way or not. You've gotta know when to cut your losses - it just ain't going to happen.

I'd be thrilled with a lane of parking on one side, and a bike lane on the other. Wider sidewalks would be super too. A proposal like that would get more traction than something as 'radical' as suggesting traffic should move in both directions.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:08 AM

Cutting main to 4 lanes with actually reasonable sidewalks and maybe even some planters to separate pedestrians from traffic a bit would be great.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:12 AM

Main will likely be 2 way eventually. You just need to wait. They will start by extending the 2 way from Gage Park westward maybe just a few blocks at a time. But it will happen. I don't know if this section will ever get there, but we in the community will continue to fight for it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Main will likely be 2 way eventually. You just need to wait. They will start by extending the 2 way from Gage Park westward maybe just a few blocks at a time. But it will happen. I don't know if this section will ever get there, but we in the community will continue to fight for it.
I think it will take LRT on King to make people (especially the politicians) realize that Main needs to be a two-way street all the way from Westdale to the Queenston traffic circle.

There will be some challenges, such as the 403 ramp configuration, but not insurmountable ones.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 5:37 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think it will take LRT on King to make people (especially the politicians) realize that Main needs to be a two-way street all the way from Westdale to the Queenston traffic circle.

There will be some challenges, such as the 403 ramp configuration, but not insurmountable ones.
It's fun to dream, isn't it

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 9:26 PM

Fun NIMBY thread from Joey Coleman: https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...753987072?s=19

File under NIMBY
A letter of opposition 415 Main W development:
"I purchase this property over 20 years ago knowing that one day when needed I will make a profit in order to enjoy my investment. Now an investor after 20 years will decrease my investment, and is not acceptable."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 9:59 PM

Noise complaints too, hahaha. The properties on the south side are on the opposite side of the CP line. Maybe it's the 'Conas complaining but either way, I guess the current situation of a vacant blizzard making company is a better option versus increasing property values by converting dead vacant commercial entities into a tax base increase?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 10:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Fun NIMBY thread from Joey Coleman: https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...753987072?s=19

File under NIMBY
A letter of opposition 415 Main W development:
"I purchase this property over 20 years ago knowing that one day when needed I will make a profit in order to enjoy my investment. Now an investor after 20 years will decrease my investment, and is not acceptable."
Yes, because every "investment" is a guaranteed return.

Guess they didn't "enjoy [their] investment" at any point during those 20+ years. Which either means they're an absentee landlord (so STFU!), or just a curmudgeon.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 11:34 PM

The thing is I have literally never seen a midrise go up near or beside a single detached house decrease real estate value. If anything it increases property values because there are more walkable amenities like retail and commercial, and you now own 2000sqft and backyard where someone next door has 600sqft and a balcony making your house a premium in the area.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
The thing is I have literally never seen a midrise go up near or beside a single detached house decrease real estate value. If anything it increases property values because there are more walkable amenities like retail and commercial, and you now own 2000sqft and backyard where someone next door has 600sqft and a balcony making your house a premium in the area.
Not just NIMBY-ism then, but also a case of FUD. Fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Afraid the riff-raff who will inhabit the units will being shooting up, shooting bullets, and shooing away the good honest folk who would otherwise have one day offered a fortune for their property.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton