HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Give me some Mandeville Place please.
I'll have what he's having.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:54 PM

Van Pelt Mews

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 6:25 PM
BANNED

The turnout for the DP debut was crazy, literally hundreds of people on site at lunchtime. The general public seems pretty excited about the new park. i bet it definitely boosts the value of the condos in the Ritz- the only residential property that will ever directly face the park.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:49 AM

http://universitycity.org/sites/defa...C-2013-web.pdf

This might have been posted before, but its a recap of all that's going on in Ucity.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingDutchman View Post
I'd prefer slender hi rises with relatively many units personally.
Ditto that! I love what Vancouver has done. Lots of high density mid rise apartment buildings that look taller than they are because they're so slender. They took a city with terrible traffic and got people living vertically.

And whoever mentioned Mandeville Place, yes, please, somebody bring back that proposal! One Riverside is great, but why can't someone like Dranoff buy plans for Mandeville Place and make it happen. Even if people aren't buying what they bought in '05, break up the floor plan, add more units, and make it doable.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 2:52 AM

1100 block Chestnut update:

And AQ Rittenhouse too....

Taken today:

025 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

026 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

027 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

029 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

031 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

032 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Last edited by shadowbat2; Sep 8, 2014 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 8:48 PM

Getting close to opening, and Nordstrom Rack as well.
[IMG]IMG_0984 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0985 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 9:56 PM

15th and Walnut taken Sunday:
145 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:12 AM

Structural work has finally begun at 3600 Civic Center Garage in UCity. It will indeed be 3 floors below and 5 above. The quicker this gets completed the quicker they will move on with plans for the connected building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Structural work has finally begun at 3600 Civic Center Garage in UCity. It will indeed be 3 floors below and 5 above. The quicker this gets completed the quicker they will move on with plans for the connected building.
And tear down and replace Penn Tower, right?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
And tear down and replace Penn Tower, right?
That's still the plan. Penn Tower was suppose to come down next September, I think it gets delayed.

The garage will come down first while the building remains occupied, those plans have not changed.

Trauma from HUP is still scheduled to move to Presby at the beginning of 2015.

The question I have and I have not been able to find out is what will they do in regards to connecting HUP to Perelman as the bridge goes through Penn Tower. Even CHOP uses the bridge for Children Cancer care at times. Wonder if they will bridge Burger to Perelman and run it the other way.

I know we briefly talked about plans to replace Penn Tower, but they really must be big plans. They are relocating a street and Penn Tower is a decent size building that is still very function-able. There are some real out of date floors and there are some state of the art offices.

Time shall tell.

By the way garage at 3600 is going up like legos. Its all prefab.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:

The question I have and I have not been able to find out is what will they do in regards to connecting HUP to Perelman as the bridge goes through Penn Tower. Even CHOP uses the bridge for Children Cancer care at times. Wonder if they will bridge Burger to Perelman and run it the other way.
When I was looking at Bureger going up, there was this one "bay" of steel on one of the upper floors facing Perelman/Smillow that was thicker than the rest. To me that looked like it was designed for a skybridge at a future date. I could have swore I had pictures of it but I don't apparently. I think it was the fourth or fifth floor on the north side closer to Civic Center Blvd....

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
When I was looking at Bureger going up, there was this one "bay" of steel on one of the upper floors facing Perelman/Smillow that was thicker than the rest. To me that looked like it was designed for a skybridge at a future date. I could have swore I had pictures of it but I don't apparently. I think it was the fourth or fifth floor on the north side closer to Civic Center Blvd....
Yeah, it would indeed make sense. The partnership between Penn and Chop is awesome. It truly benefits the patients.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:25 AM

Quote:
I know we briefly talked about plans to replace Penn Tower, but they really must be big plans. They are relocating a street and Penn Tower is a decent size building that is still very function-able. There are some real out of date floors and there are some state of the art offices.

Time shall tell.
Don't forget that Penn Tower was originally designed, built, and used as a general-purpose hotel for University City (the old Convention Hall and Civic Center was still next door and operating), and was only later adapted for HUP's use. I'm old enough to have been a Penn student when it was first built. I'm sure that the high-tech demands of a modern world-class clinical/research center of Penn Medicine's caliber have long outgrown what is essentially an adaptive reuse of a hotel building. Not to mention that Penn and CHOP are on a roll in terms of their burgeoning expansion and national/international prominence (or eminence, as Amy Gutmann likes to say ), and Penn Tower is really just a white elephant that's in the way at this point.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it would indeed make sense. The partnership between Penn and Chop is awesome. It truly benefits the patients.
It's really more than just a partnership--they're inextricably intertwined:

Quote:
The [Children's] [H]ospital is located next to the University of Pennsylvania and its physicians serve as the pediatrics department of the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childre...f_Philadelphia

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:48 AM

Quote:
It's really more than just a partnership--they're inextricably intertwined:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childre...f_Philadelphia
Take it a step further and CHOP has a foot print all over the Deleware Valley.

http://www.chop.edu/locations/newborn-care/

They are truly world-class. 2 of my 3 were preemies born at Holy Redeemer and we knew they were in great hands with the association to chop. Luckily they had very minor issues and are growing way too fast.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Don't forget that Penn Tower was originally designed, built, and used as a general-purpose hotel for University City (the old Convention Hall and Civic Center was still next door and operating), and was only later adapted for HUP's use. I'm old enough to have been a Penn student when it was first built. I'm sure that the high-tech demands of a modern world-class clinical/research center of Penn Medicine's caliber have long outgrown what is essentially an adaptive reuse of a hotel building. Not to mention that Penn and CHOP are on a roll in terms of their burgeoning expansion and national/international prominence (or eminence, as Amy Gutmann likes to say ), and Penn Tower is really just a white elephant that's in the way at this point.
Ahh it is, but the history is interesting. It use to be called "Hilton Hotel of Philadelphia." It carried quite the nightlife scene. Many area employees would head to the club after work and join hotel guest in some crazy nights. Later when Penn took over they didn't like the crowd the club was attracting and did away with it. Later it started to reduce the floor count of the hotel adding office space until the hotel was relegated to the 17 & 18th floor. The hotel was officially shut down this past May. I have an old photo I took from the basement of Penn Tower, I should be able to post later.

As I get older I find it more and more interesting hearing stories about older buildings and land marks that slowly get replaced.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 12:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's still the plan. Penn Tower was suppose to come down next September, I think it gets delayed.

The garage will come down first while the building remains occupied, those plans have not changed.

Trauma from HUP is still scheduled to move to Presby at the beginning of 2015.

Time shall tell.

By the way garage at 3600 is going up like legos. Its all prefab.
Aren't the people in penn tower largely going to the building getting additional floors nearby? I think that is the CAM building. Someone told me that a while ago.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Take it a step further and CHOP has a foot print all over the Deleware Valley.

http://www.chop.edu/locations/newborn-care/
We can take it even further than that!

http://www.chop.edu/locations/primary-care/home.html

My kid (now in college) went to a CHOP "Kids First" practice until she started college. I see on the site to which I linked that they've dropped the "Kids First" and now just call it CHOP Primary Care. Good move--further emphasizes the seamless connection between the pediatrician your kid sees locally and the amazing facilities and specialty practices at CHOP's main campus.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
As I get older I find it more and more interesting hearing stories about older buildings and land marks that slowly get replaced.
Here's a story: my Penn graduation ceremony was held inside Convention Hall, which is now the location of the Perelman Center! And of course, the Flower Show used to be there every year, all 3 national political conventions (Democratic, Republican, and Progressive--go Henry Wallace!) were held there in 1948, . . . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development