HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 3:20 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ The hotel off the 202 at 44th is a Marriot, but I agree that neither that nor this Sheraton is all that impressive. I'm kind of curious to see how well the Sheraton caters to pedestrians. I thought I saw some old renderings where it looked like there was a big drive-up lobby, which isn't the best fit for a downtown... These renderings don't seem to show that. Time will tell I guess. I just hope it interacts well with the sidewalk and that the parking structure isn't in a prominent place.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInCal View Post
Kevin, you must be the one. It just isn't anything special...like it coulda, shoulda been. I'm not hating it like I used to. Let's see how it fits into the area and looks up close and on the skyline. Maybe it won't be as bad as most of us think.
Yes, let's see how it turns out. I don't know how many people on this site remember this, but the haters were tossing big ol' bombs at the new convention center while it was under construction. Now it's widely praised for being a beautiful, functional building (not to mention, one that has brought quite a bit of foot traffic to the surrounding streets). Later.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 3:38 PM

i actually really like this building and think that it will look great in the dt phoenix skyline. i woulda liked glass a lot better but this will really help to fill some gaps in the skyline. i also like how it utilized all the empty space on the lot with the convention center and how it wraps around the other tower that is on the corner of the lot. once this is done i think it will be a great addition

It kinda reminds me of the hotels in vegas. tall, wide, and a really thin side profile. bring on a few more like this!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 5:32 PM

I think it's interesting that they have oriented this building to have north south views rather than east west. I would think that east west would provide better vistas (White Tanks/Superstitions) and it would also be better for sun issues.

I don't hate the design. I don't think it's the best I've seen, but at least the roof is interesting. Hopefully the facing will be interesting.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think it's interesting that they have oriented this building to have north south views rather than east west. I would think that east west would provide better vistas (White Tanks/Superstitions) and it would also be better for sun issues.

I don't hate the design. I don't think it's the best I've seen, but at least the roof is interesting. Hopefully the facing will be interesting.

um.... what about Camelback and Piestewa/South Mountain?

as far as sun goes, I was under the impression that it rose in the east and set in the west? so making it face those directions makes NO sense as far as efficiency goes?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:43 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
No! No! and No! Turning the building 90 degrees would be a disaster from an energy use standpoint. Trust me...this is well thought out and easily proven.

Nonetheless, the worst case in terms of sun is actually on the NW corner of the building (due to late afternoon summer sunshine).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:52 PM

Northwest??????

Don't you mean southwest?

I don't think the sun ever shines north to south.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 7:59 PM
them bones

If you're driving west on a late summer afternoon, notice that the sun will be not directly in the west, but slightly to the north of it. Hottest part of the day during the hottest part of the year. Ever notice that the sun comes up over Four Peaks in the summer? That's NE of Phoenix!

You have to go as far north as the Canadian border before you don't get ANY sun on the north face of your building.

Even the Empire State Building gets sun on its north face in the summer.

Pure science...it's how we crazy architects determine just how deep to make those pretty little overhangs!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2007, 8:21 PM

/\ That's my question... I didn't think the angle of the sun was ever north of the line of latitude that Phoenix sits on. Even then, the worst case in terms of sun would still be in the southwest, simply because the sun shines there more throughout the year. Even if the most intense sunshine "day" of the year is on the northwest, I wouldn't design a building simply to mitigate that one day of most intense sun. I'd design it to mitigate the whole rest of the year of southwest sun.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:20 PM
-_-

The sun doesn't follow a straight line throughout the day, but follows an arc because the earth is a sphere and the sun is stationary relative to the earth throughout the day. At noon, the sun is at it's most southerly position in the sky. This effect was very dramatic when, as a kid, I spent my summers in Alaska with my grandparents. They lived south of Anchorage, so no 24 hours of sun, but if you followed the position of the sun throughout the day, you would notice that by sunset, the sun had practically made a 90 degree turn relative to it's motion at noon. As it approaches the horizon, it is moving faster towards the north than it is to the west, and it would set almost directly NW of my grandparents house.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:34 PM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
The sun doesn't follow a straight line throughout the day, but follows an arc because the earth is a sphere and the sun is stationary relative to the earth throughout the day.
I'm pretty sure the Earth is flat (or possibly cube-shaped), not spherical in nature.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:38 AM

Another tower that is going to fill in the skyline great! I hope we get more in this core area. *cough*Central Park East*cough*

Of course there are also the mid-rise ASU dorms that will go up too, that will help fill things in as well.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 3:27 AM
zzzzzzzz

^ Great angles, HX. Thanks for the photos!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 8:54 AM

great pictures thanks! 44 monroe better hurry up, the sheraton is going to pass it up in no time at all. this thing is rising fast!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:42 PM
Desert Urbanite

I noticed that the Sheraton is already up to the 10th level. The floors drop in height beginning with the 5th, if you can see from the pictures provided above. It's still not taller than the Republic building...which makes me skeptical on how tall the building will appear to be.

-Andrew

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 4:49 PM

I only count 9 completed floors, not 10. When the 10th is complete, it will be pretty close to the same as the AZ Republic. Besides, we already know its going to be 360', same as the Bank of America building, except much skinnier.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:03 PM

I was in town for a few days and took a bunch of photos, including some of the Sheraton. I will post them tonight. I wanted to give everyone a little update ASAP though as they have started to attach the cladding to the north and east sides. I took a couple of telephoto shots to get as much detail as possible. The panels are a buff color (let's face it ... a close cousin of beige), just like what you see in the hi-def rendering. They seem to have a slight, sandy texture to them and are of varying rectangular shapes and sizes, pieced together puzzle-like. The color reminds me of French vanilla ice cream.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 9:23 PM

I've been meaning to get downtown for another photo update but I keep waiting for 44 Monroe to get a little more substantial in height.

What date did you take the photos of everything? Now I'll have to wait until more is done! :p

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 10:41 PM

HX, I was there three days ago, Sunday 2-18. It was later that afternoon and the sun was on the opposite side so the panels were not in bright light. I think they are sufficient to get an idea though. I also took a few of 44 Monroe, but from other places and distances than previous posts to mix it up a little. Hopefully, I can get to posting my pics for the individual project threads tonight. I plan on doing a larger photo thread when time permits this week. I have updates for Summit, 44 Monroe and The Sheraton.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 11:00 PM

The dreaded double post!

Last edited by JimInCal; Feb 22, 2007 at 4:46 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest