HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 9:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
There's a new sign up at the old Deware's/Price Chopper. Whether it's morning or evening, it's always too dark to see it in detail when I drive by! From what I can tell, the rendering looks like a grey, generic 4 store mini-mall. Maybe the daylight will reveal more details, but I don't think any stores are listed. I mentioned earlier I had heard from the owners next door that the building was purchased by men from Halifax and he had heard of a possible TD Bank and Starbucks. Someone else on here had heard of a possible Pita Pit at that address. We shall see.
There you go:

This looks like a very generic retail/commercial strip. If it is built as currently depicted, it would be hard to image TD Bank or Starbuck's being interested, Even Pita Pit might turn up it's nose.

The sign states that construction will take place this summer, so time will tell…..

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:36 AM

The developers in this city really do love their bland strip malls, I think we need to push for better developments, a dvelopment like this could have a floor of apartments above and commercial below, with it have a street front presence, similar to the development just off Botsford.

We have to take a stand, Moncton has beautiful neighborhoods all with commercial sectors, we have downtown, with its hotels, restaurants, offices etc... Then we have Sunny Brae and Moncton East, The intersection of Morton and Elmwood dr. we have an area with potential to have a small town center, buildings with a street presences and upper floors being apartments. Then we head to the North-end and look at the travesty out there, the section between gorge road and the barnaby furniture could have been similar with 2 or 3 story buildings with restaurants on the main floor and apartments and offices up top. We shouldn't limit height to just Downtown, we could create small downtown's throughout the entire city giving the residents of each neighborhood a place to shop and relax. Imagine driving through multiple downtown's similar to Dieppe's, instead of having kilometers of strip malls we could have beautiful neighborhoods, places for the locals to gather and sit on a patio and have dinner.

Its only a dream, but seeing another strip mall just saddens me, the city could be so much more!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There you go:

This looks like a very generic retail/commercial strip. If it is built as currently depicted, it would be hard to image TD Bank or Starbuck's being interested, Even Pita Pit might turn up it's nose.
Thanks! Wow, it looked better in the dark

Yeah, I don't see Starbucks going in there. I also talked to someone at TD and they said their next expansion is up in the Power Center area, not Elmwood. We'll probably end up with a HairCut place and three vacant spots for a few years...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 7:34 PM
real estate blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
The developers in this city really do love their bland strip malls, I think we need to push for better developments, a dvelopment like this could have a floor of apartments above and commercial below, with it have a street front presence, similar to the development just off Botsford.
It appears the developer of that Elmwood Drive parcel - Tier Too Properties Ltd. - is not based in this city or even New Brunswick - http://tiertoo.com

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:45 PM

I said not long ago that I personally thought TD would be one of the new tenants in the Capellas development. Time will tell if I'm right.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 1:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonian View Post
It appears the developer of that Elmwood Drive parcel - Tier Too Properties Ltd. - is not based in this city or even New Brunswick - http://tiertoo.com
Thanks for the link monctonian

If you look at the pdf, this development will be much more than a simple four unit strip mall; and in addition, the render also looks different than the picture on the sign in front of the old Price Chopper too:

In addition to the four unit strip, the site will also contain two other buildings. One building will contain a unit listed as a "bank", and the other will include 3200 sq ft of potential restaurant space. I suppose this could be Starbucks and/or a Pita Pit. Of note is that one of those restaurants contains a drive-thru, Maybe the original rumours about this development aren't so far off after all……..

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 2:30 AM

Thats better now that it is multiple buildings on one lot instead of just one, it makes sense that the restaurant would either be Second Cup or Starbucks, especially now that Tim's is renovating there store to be similar to the one on Mountain Rd.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 5:15 AM

I'm gonna guess starbucks closest to elmwood, the other side of the building would be pita pit. I'm guessing TD or BMO is the bank and I'm gonna guess Sally Beauty Supplies is one of the tenants.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 8:28 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...lder-1.2533893

Quote:
One of the mortgage holders behind Moncton's troubled Vision Lands project bought the property back during a mortgage sale on Wednesday.

Ontario-based HarbourEdge Mortgage Investment Corporation paid $7.1 million for the 260-acre site located next to the University of Moncton campus.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Does this mean the project is done, or is the new investor going to keep it going?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:55 PM

The original plans are dead, but the land owners who bought the land back are now looking at selling it to developers, so that it can be done properly instead of all at once. The original plan was a fantastic idea, but with other development going on in the city, it was difficult to start up.

If they were to create road straight through connecting with Mapleton rd. there may have been a different story in the papers today, because it would have connected two sides of the city.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Does this mean the project is done, or is the new investor going to keep it going?
The original plan is indeed dead. The vultures are picking at the carcass now. The land will be developed, but I imagine it will now just be a generic suburban subdivision with no real distinguishing characteristics……

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a three storey apartment building planned for 39 Redmond Street (essentially right across from the Shoppers Drug Mart at the Morton/Elmwood intersection).

The building will be 32 units (17 one bedroom and 15 bachelors). I presume it will be marketed to UdeM students…….

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:15 AM

Is that vinyl siding? Still, Redmond could use a pick-me-up after a couple abandoned houses behind McDonalds were torn down last year.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Is that vinyl siding? Still, Redmond could use a pick-me-up after a couple abandoned houses behind McDonalds were torn down last year.
It says stone and wood siding, not vinyl. Should look good tho.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the T&T today, they interviewed the president of Tier Too Developments about their plans for the old Deware's location on Elmwood.

They confirmed shovels in the ground this spring. They also confirmed that they are in negotiations with Starbuck's, as well as with "several" banks, a dollar type store and a physiotherapy clinic. They didn't say anything about Pita Pit, but when Pita Pit discussed their metro wide expansion plans last fall, they specifically mentioned this civic address, so I expect them to cohabitate the building at the front along with Starbuck's

Occupancy is slated for this fall…….

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 7:01 PM

Lord the amount of wasted space there for parking...uugh. Wish this city would start thinking "up" instead of "out".

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Lord the amount of wasted space there for parking...uugh. Wish this city would start thinking "up" instead of "out".
Well where are you going to put the snow in the winter hahaha.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 4:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was browsing around the municipal development plan today, and I happened to notice that the area in red zoned as "highway commercial" on the northwest corner of the Elmwood/TCH intersection conforms precisely to the area that was clear cut last year. We know that Home Hardware is moving here, and possibly a grocery store but the amount of land cleared is large enough for a significant development - perhaps including the Bass Pro Shops store.

Anyhow, nothing new here but I did find it interesting how the HC designated land conformed so precisely to the clear cut……...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Anyhow, nothing new here but I did find it interesting how the HC designated land conformed so precisely to the clear cut……...
What about the houses across the street? The area is designated HC also?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces