HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 9:06 AM

Wow, that's certainly something.

Very relieved to see the Commodore remaining basically intact, it's a local treasure and should 100% be preserved. I don't know how much stock to put into the developer's claims that this project is essential for its continued operation though- wonder if that's a bluff to get the density approved.

I also don't really have a lot of time for the "revitalization" claims here- the Granville strip's problems are the product of failures on the part of the city that aren't going to be resolved by adding a bunch of 9 to 5 jobs in an admittedly nice-looking building. It's well-executed office density with a couple of nice amenities, nothing more.

Last edited by invisibleairwaves; Jan 8, 2021 at 9:25 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 10:13 AM

One or two megaprojects (counting the Cineplex directly opposite) definitely don't solve the homeless problem... but they do add foot traffic, which reopens more storefronts, which indirectly helps clean the street. I'd say that three out of four ain't bad.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:46 PM

At first glance, I had thought that the stepped, leafy terraces indicated some residential. Apparently it has none; rather a shame, as I thought that would help the project go.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
At first glance, I had thought that the stepped, leafy terraces indicated some residential. Apparently it has none; rather a shame, as I thought that would help the project go.
I think this developer is smart.. putting residential in an 'entertainment district' isn't always the best idea. You start getting complaints from residents of noise, bright lights, etc. etc.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I think this developer is smart.. putting residential in an 'entertainment district' isn't always the best idea. You start getting complaints from residents of noise, bright lights, etc. etc.

Ron.
That's something I hadn't considered. Thanks for that.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
- Saves and expands the cultural venues.
- Adds more eatery space (and with a balcony-sidewalk, no less).
- Rejuvenates the Mall.
- Plays nice with the viewcone/shading policies.
- Looks incredibly badass.

All in all, this is a win-win for everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
One or two megaprojects (counting the Cineplex directly opposite) definitely don't solve the homeless problem... but they do add foot traffic, which reopens more storefronts, which indirectly helps clean the street. I'd say that three out of four ain't bad.
I completely agree.

The design of this project is incredibly daring so it's going to immediately divide people on it on a superficial level. The truth is, is that we won't be seeing towers along Granville street partly due to the Granville Bridge view cone so any office development along Granville street in the peninsula is going to have to look different while also juggling the preservation of our heritage buildings. It looks like it will also be able to host larger than average (for Vancouver) office floorplates which also gets me excited.

I love this design for Granville street just the way it is. And I am especially excited about this:

Quote:
The restaurant and large format retail levels are accessed by escalators and elevators from a grand mid-block atrium entrance, within the footprint of the existing buildings (constructed in 2006 and 2008, respectively) that currently house Zumiez and Urban Outfitters. These relatively newer buildings will be demolished for the striking mid-block atrium entrance.
It's almost as if it's introducing Granville/Robson to the idea of a bi-level pedestrian retail experience. And I think that is certainly a step in the right direction when it comes designing for the future. But my imagination could just be flying off the rails here .

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:33 PM
victory in near

Not a fan of the design of top half of the building but I like how it preserves the commodore and allows space for the Orpheum. the Atrium seems nice

I have to admit that it seems a bit touristy kitschy

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post

Ron.
Agree 1000%, although I await the inevitable "yeah but there's residential half a block off Granville".

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 8:12 PM

Their reasoning for increased height on along Robson makes sense considering the neighbouring allowed height but I'm curious on what they're using to back it up.

EDIT: States an HRA but that seems mighty aggressive for HRA's I've seen.

Last edited by GenWhy?; Jan 8, 2021 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 8:21 PM
Dig-it

Did they already abandon the empty/vacant site at Seymour and Robson? ... on to bigger and better things lol

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 8:53 PM

While not directly on top of the heritage building also feels a bit like Seoul City Hall.

https://www.archdaily.com/457570/seo...chitects-photo

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Did they already abandon the empty/vacant site at Seymour and Robson? ... on to bigger and better things lol
Yeah - round the corner and bridge the alley!
Make it all one project.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 11:55 PM

One other thing is that having the podium rooftop railing (and pixel baord) come right to the edge of the facades makes it look like facadism
(even though it's not). They should setback that railing from the tops and cornices of the heritage facades.
Mimicking the curved shopfronts of the Commodore on the new part reduces the uniqueness of the commodore facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post

Credit to our friend Kenneth Chan over at DailyHive.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/800-...-redevelopment

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:01 AM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah - round the corner and bridge the alley!
Make it all one project.
If they consider that, then they may as well make the Seymour site into a vegetable garden cause nothing will be happening for a very, very long time.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:04 AM

The more I look at this the more I like it.

Its very big city and "mature."

I think the massing above can improve a little, its somewhat imposing.

But I wish a very similar version of this would be built.

Granville is in desperate need of a revitalization, between this and the Rec Room it would be a good start.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofina View Post
The more I look at this the more I like it.

Its very big city and "mature."*

I think the massing above can improve a little, its somewhat imposing.

But I wish a very similar version of this would be built.

Granville is in desperate need of a revitalization,*between this and the Rec Room it would be a good start.
** Yes ! These very two things went through my mind when I first saw it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:19 AM

"Incredibly ambitious."- Those are dirty words in Vancouver.

More likely to pass if its a lot more plain and boring. Maybe add some seafoam green windows to really make sure it passes.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
If they consider that, then they may as well make the Seymour site into a vegetable garden cause nothing will be happening for a very, very long time.

Can see the city suggesting that they replace this proposal with just that- a vegetable garden. Cause everyone knows that a vegetable garden is what really livens up a downtown.
Should go great with our preschool right next to our major sports venues.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
Wow, that's certainly something.

Very relieved to see the Commodore remaining basically intact, it's a local treasure and should 100% be preserved. I don't know how much stock to put into the developer's claims that this project is essential for its continued operation though- wonder if that's a bluff to get the density approved.

I also don't really have a lot of time for the "revitalization" claims here- the Granville strip's problems are the product of failures on the part of the city that aren't going to be resolved by adding a bunch of 9 to 5 jobs in an admittedly nice-looking building. It's well-executed office density with a couple of nice amenities, nothing more.
Agreed. This proposal is definitely ambitious and just what this city needs, but as you mention, leave the Commodore as is.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 1:06 AM

The important thing for me is that the design rationale ticks all of the right boxes. Revitalising the street, adding retail and office and foot traffic and stimulus, preserving and expanding important cultural and historical venues, heritage preservation, blah blah blah. Fantastic level of thought. Mega-projects that include these aspects definitely pander to the better angels of the voting council, and so they should.
It would be fantastic if, now the project is public and (possibly) getting general support, that the landlord holding-out on selling, on the corner, will succumb to logic and let their site be added to the whole-block redevelopment.

This could be similar to how the Trocadero renovation in Trafalgar Square, or the Times Square reno in NYC revived those once-declining hubs.

I think the architectural details - the layout, massing, shape, and actual final skin, are far from complete and definitely need improvement. But the basic idea - staggered offices with large patio areas facing into the sun - will work really well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver