HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisla_krakow View Post
Well yes, but maybe just in my experience none have been nearly as large as the CBD. The only one I can really think of is Phoenix.
i don't understand your phoenix analogy, but i will say you're right about atlanta's secondary business districts - there are several approaching the size/mass/height profile of downtown. you might say atlanta's secondary CBD nodes are characterized by vertical growth moreso than many other US cities, however, you can look to houston, seattle and LAX and find examples of secondary CBD's similar to atlanta.

again, it's characteristic of the US. outside of NYC and chicago, you will find most major city CBD's have a smaller share of office space compared to their overall suburbs and secondary CBD's.

(i hope KC won't mind), but i've highlighted the photo of atlanta's CBD in green below, followed by midtown in yellow and buckhead in red. it may help to understand that atlanta today has one of the weakest street layouts/grid systems in the country, which, along with other factors has facilitated growth in residential, then retail and followed by premium office space along her most desirable corridors such as peachtree. in this image, you'll note that development has followed peachtree street from downtown up through the northern suburbs, giving birth to three secondary business districts visible in the picture. outside the scope of this pic, there are 2 or 3 more areas that have emerged as powerful business districts.

Last edited by atl2phx; Oct 7, 2007 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
i don't understand your phoenix analogy, but i will say you're right about atlanta's secondary business districts - there are several approaching the size/mass/height profile of downtown. you might say atlanta's secondary CBD nodes are characterized by vertical growth moreso than many other US cities, however, you can look to houston, seattle and LAX and find examples of secondary CBD's similar to atlanta.

again, it's characteristic of the US. outside of NYC and chicago, you will find most major city CBD's have a smaller share of office space compared to their overall suburbs and secondary CBD's.

(i hope KC won't mind), but i've highlighted the photo of atlanta's CBD in green below, followed by midtown in yellow and buckhead in red. it may help to understand that atlanta today has one of the weakest street layouts/grid systems in the country, which, along with other factors has facilitated growth in residential, then retail and followed by premium office space along her most desirable corridors such as peachtree. in this image, you'll note that development has followed peachtree street from downtown up through the northern suburbs, giving birth to three secondary business districts visible in the picture. outside the scope of this pic, there are 2 or 3 more areas that have emerged as powerful business districts.

I see you added MOP and 3344 in the mix.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 8:34 PM
Sebastian

Well Phoenix has it's downtown, and it's Uptown. The latter having many building rivaling downtown's.

Thanks for the info though.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Bank of America Plaza is in Downtown. North Avenue is the boundary of the sub-markets and the neighborhood associations.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:

That's a neat effect and quite educational, I'm sure, for many who don't live in Atlanta. Since you can just barely perceive the Perimeter Center cluster in that same photo, why don't you throw in a fourth color for it!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Bank of America Plaza is in Downtown. North Avenue is the boundary of the sub-markets and the neighborhood associations.
that's right...thnx for the reminder! i keep thinking of the "andrea connector" as the natural border between downtown and midtown.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 2:14 AM

nevermind!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:24 PM

I'd love to see another thread like this with 2008 or 2009 Atlanta in it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeMaMa View Post
I'd love to see another thread like this with 2008 or 2009 Atlanta in it.
I agree, can someone get a helicopter and take above Atlanta pics please.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:55 PM
Ex Houstonian

I didnt realize Atlanta had an elevated rail line. Awesome! And whoever took these photo is awesome too!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 7:02 PM

I never knew Atlanta had so many towers and a metro system, i always envisioned it as another Phoenix/LA.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 10:31 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Los Angeles has skyscrapers... and a metro system.

Those who are saying that Los Angeles and Atlanta are similar to one another really haven't seen or studied Los Angeles.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
I didnt realize Atlanta had an elevated rail line. Awesome! And whoever took these photo is awesome too!
MARTA consists of both elevated and subway rail lines. It has been in existence since the late 1970s.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:17 AM

I am still waiting on an updated "flyover" lol

It's been over 2 years, and so much has been built since these pics were taken.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Los Angeles has skyscrapers... and a metro system.

Those who are saying that Los Angeles and Atlanta are similar to one another really haven't seen or studied Los Angeles.
There are some similarities, Westsidelife. Multiple centers, lot's of freeways, very spread out, a long and varied main corridor with several nodes of towers (Wilshire vs. Peachtree), brimming with immigrants and newcomers from everywhere, etc.

It doesn't help matters that at lot of people now refer to Atlanta as "L.A. East," but technically you are absolutely correct.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 8:00 PM
cities|transit|croissants

lol @ gravedig on a two year old thread.

Anyway, I don't recall if I said this the first time around or not: I'm unimpressed with Atlanta's urbanism, but OMG the skyscraper architecture is beautiful. There are just so many really quality buildings, and they're virtually all of a sort that won't go out of style in 30 years.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
There are some similarities, Westsidelife. Multiple centers, lot's of freeways, very spread out, a long and varied main corridor with several nodes of towers (Wilshire vs. Peachtree), brimming with immigrants and newcomers from everywhere, etc.

It doesn't help matters that at lot of people now refer to Atlanta as "L.A. East," but technically you are absolutely correct.
both have relatively unimpressive downtowns for their metro population that are primarily office space with little or no streetfront retail/activity. (atlanta's midtown is where the action's at - i know, la's got the fashion district like atlanta has fairlie-poplar)

atlanta's still has a long way to go too... but in response to cirrus things are rapidly improving, all along main corridors like memorial dr.

(lol at the fact this thread won't die - come on and re-do it kc!)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 1:56 AM
Westbank = Bestbank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
(lol at the fact this thread won't die - come on and re-do it kc!)
For real. Renting a helicopter probably takes some serious cash, but with fuel prices where they are this seems like it would be the time to jump on it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:53 PM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I never knew Atlanta had so many towers and a metro system, i always envisioned it as another Phoenix/LA.
Why? LA isn't nearly as sprawly as people make it out to be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15316475@N04/tags/urban/

Does the above look sprawly? (all photos by me, btw)

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 3:52 PM

See, the thing is Kingofthehill, all of your beautiful pictures in the link you provided can be duplicated here. Every single one of them - minus the palms, of course.

Cirrus, in all my years on this forum, that is probably the first time I have ever witnessed a somewhat positive comment from you re: Atlanta. Of course, you had to get the usual dig in.

Bottom line, it is imposible to judge a place if you have never set foot in it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos