Video Link

At a glance, it reminds me of:

Source:
https://driving.ca/lincoln/mkx/revie...-lincoln-mkx-4
Reminds me of:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Very interesting post. Some surprising revelations, at least to me.

My thoughts/questions:
- Why are they only able to do one hot lap, as the battery doesn't deplete until 6-8 laps? My impression was that you'd be able to drive them flat out until there was no charge remaining.

- Though I realize that a road course is hard on brakes, especially when you don't have a manual transmission to help engine compression take some load off the brakes to slow the car down (in an IC car), my impression was that an EV would go into regen mode on braking thus taking some load off the brakes. Or are the brakes just not that good on them?

- How long is the track? 2.5 mi? (Sonoma?) If so, does that mean with hard use that some Teslas only get like 20 miles of range? Or maybe I'm misreading it?

It's fascinating to read some of these experiences that you normally don't hear about for one reason or another.
Welcome to the maddening world of battery temperature management! This is what stratifies electric vehicles in real-world terms.

Essentially, charging or discharging a battery creates heat. An EV must manage that heat to protect the batteries. Excessive heat negatively affects the battery's total potential charge capacity, and rapid thermal shock associated with fast-charging cold batteries or repeated/prolonged hard-driving exacerbates this. In all instances, the heat associated with charging and discharging causes something called 'dendrites' to form in the battery cell as infinitesimal areas of the anode and cathode in the battery, for lack of a better descriptor, form crystals(?) that prevent electrons from passing back and forth to one another through the separator. Excessive heat and/thermal shock accelerates their formation.

It's basically inevitable that some dendritic buildup occurs affecting cell charge capacity, but also not insurmountable, and most good EVs are now only likely to lose 15-20% of their total potential charge capacity over the life of the vehicle (multiple hundreds of thousands of kilometers). Furthermore, most of the long-life EVs on the road that may be influencing public opinion about battery longevity (e.g. horror stories of Nissan Leafs with 30km of charge or first-run Model S cars that have ‘lost’ half their battery capacity after a decade of regular Super Charger use) haven't had the benefit of the current generation of battery conditioning and management to moderate dendritic buildup over their lives, so past performance isn’t necessarily indicative of future trends.

This is all not too dissimilar in real-world terms to the mechanical wear endemic to a combustion engine and transmission over hundreds of thousands of kilometers of use. Mechanical parts grinding away at each other slowly saps available horsepower while worsening emissions, lowering fuel efficiency, etc. Plus, nobody who lives in cold weather can deny that the mileage (range) and performance you get in a gas car in city driving when it's well below zero is just appalling compared to fair weather. Eventually the various losses and compromises associated with a high-mileage car of any type may be a deciding factor in a vehicle replacement, not because it doesn't necessarily run or have any usable range, but rather new(er) alternatives are preferable to the owner of a worn-out vehicle.

One future bright spot, though, is that battery recycling promises to be phenomenally effective at recovering the raw anode and cathode material in a lithium ion battery, and it is better feedstock for the manufacturing of new batteries than even mined raw materials because it is already refined and processed. And those dendrites? Apparently, they are eliminated during reprocessing, meaning the resulting new batteries are brand spanking new and ready for a whole new life. Therefore, expect the end-of-life 'scrap' value of your EV to utterly dwarf that of a used up, gutted old gas car when it's time to call it.

Back to heat management. All EVs at this point have regulators that throttle charging or discharge rates to keep heat within spec and protect the battery. During fast charging, when a lot of electrons are being shifted in the batteries, the first few minutes have a phenomenal charge rate on nearly all cars. EVs with good temperature management can sustain that high charge rate longer, though they all taper off because, remember, we're putting something like two or three weeks of a regular house's total electricity consumption into your car in a few minutes. Likewise, when one floors it, the battery goes from essentially idle to maximum discharge. In all of this, as the kids say, it's gunst to get hot.

The goal of smart EV makers is to design the whole system so that fast charging can be a normal part of EV ownership to facilitate long-distance travel or as-needed to supplement 'normal' L1 and L2 charging at home and longer-term parking situations (like at work). The heat management system should allow routine fast charging that doesn't harm the battery and facilitate a 'fast charging experience' that adds as much useable range as possible during the initial peak and then 'shapes the taper' so that the battery is 'filled' (typically limited to 80% for most EVs) to offer a lot of useable range (400+km) in a reasonable amount of time (~30 minutes), all before the cumulative heat build-up associated with fast charging requires the charge rate to be significantly lowered. All this, with confidence in the required time for a charge and concomitant range, plus a seamless user interface that lets one drive up, plug in, and start charging instantly without messing around with a user interface terminal or point of sale system, and built-in in-car entertainment options like streaming video on a big central screen, video games, wi-fi, etc., results in a total charging experience that at best can be something enjoyable, or at least be sufficiently tolerable. All of this stuff helps further explain why Tesla has made some of the controversial decisions it has made over the years (needing an app to be able to effectively use the car and access Super Chargers, having the dashboard built around a big screen, not having any user interface at the Super Chargers, etc.).

Back to the batteries. Look, I'm not a scientician, so I cannot actually explain all this, but the take-away is that the heat associated with charging and discharging is what affects battery life and this is typically simplified to say that the number of cycles of charge and discharge on a battery is what determines its longevity and charge capacity (or "loss"). The solution to heat-related battery damage is to have a large enough battery and usable range to lower the total number of charge cycles likely to occur over the life of a vehicle and to manage heat properly. The bigger the battery and range (while still being an affordable vehicle) and the more sophisticated the battery heat management, the better.

Tesla has had active temperature management in its battery packs since the Model S launched in 2012. Specifically, for cooling during charging and discharging, a fluid (glycol? oil?) is pumped through channels between all of the cells in the module and the heat is dumped overboard through a radiator. The batteries are also heated (I'm not sure if it was originally a direct heating unit or a heater in the fluid cooling loop) during cold weather operation and especially in advance of charging so that the thermal shock is minimized.

Likewise, all those sometimes goofy names for performance modes on a Tesla (e.g. "launch mode", "Ludicrous speed", "Cheetah stance", or "Plaid mode") are in part actually astonishingly sophisticated battery conditioning programs that begin to pre-heat the battery and maximize the efficacy of the heat management system in advance of heavy driving to avoid thermal shock and achieve the best possible performance with the least wear and tear on the batteries. Furthermore, when a driver puts in a Super Charger location as the destination in the navigation system, the car begins pre-conditioning the batteries an appropriate distance from the Super Charger to be able to optimally accept Level 3 fast charging with minimal battery wear and tear from the moment they plug in.

Until recently, Tesla's competitors have generally gone the route of limited or unsophisticated battery conditioning/heat management. This has generally taken the form of heatsinks built into their battery modules to passively move heat away from the cells (cells are placed into modules that are arranged to form a pack). The module heatsinks may directly contact, or just sit in proximity to, some form of pack-scale heat exchanger that moves and discharges heat. Most now use a liquid cooling loop leading to a radiator to dump heat overboard while some just have larger heat spreaders that dissipate the heat over a larger area, potentially with air channels over which blowers move air to dump heat overboard. The Nissan Leaf has been the hilariously bad outlier in that it has no battery conditioning system at all. Zero. No heatsinks, no cooling loop, no radiators, no fans. Just the battery cells cooking their lives away sealed up in their modules and further insulated inside their packs. No wonder their real world performance is so bad (terrible range loss in cold weather because of no battery heating, slow charging even on L1 and L2 chargers like most owners use at home, miserably slow fast charging because the batteries get hot so fast and cannot dump heat, poor highway performance with diminishing throttle response over time because the batteries just can't sustain the heat that's built up, etc.). Don't buy a Leaf, or judge all EVs based on them.

While most manufactures have come around to active battery conditioning, their overall heat management approach is still a carry-forward of combustion engine cars (i.e. heat is managed separately for each source, which is why there are so many radiators in most legacy OEM EVs). The heat management approach of the newer Teslas have just started lapping their competitors because in addition to active battery conditioning on all models, a few years ago they added heat pumps to harvest surplus heat from various parts of car operation to move it to where it is needed, all in one unified system. Excess battery heat is used for cabin heating before a dedicated heating coil is used. All electronics produce waste heat and this is harvested to help battery conditioning or cabin temperature. The HVAC system is used to dump car heat overboard or harvest it from the outside air and distribute it as needed. In winter, when everything needs heating, the system makes the most efficient use of what is created to minimize waste and the amount of battery capacity used in its creation. Most EVs have separate heating and cooling systems for the cabin, the electronics, the electric motors, and the batteries, but Tesla has a single unit (initially the "super bottle" and more recently the "octo-valve") that does all of this in a preposterously small form-factor unit, thus maximizing energy management while reducing weight, cost, manufacturing complexity, and most importantly, protecting the batteries.

Back to the batteries, again. Varying types of battery chemistry raise or lower the rate of formation of dendrites, in exchange for other trade-offs. Thus, a battery chemistry like LFP (Lithium Iron Phosphate) is generally considered "worse" than a NCA (Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum Oxide) because the former has a lower energy density than the latter and charges and discharges slightly slower, meaning one needs physically more of them to hold the same total charge as a NCA battery system, and their slower discharge rates mean they aren't as suitable for high-performance vehicles. On the other hand, LFP is far less susceptible to dendrite formation (thus longer battery life with less range loss) and is much cheaper on a raw materials basis (we have lots of cheap lithium and iron on this planet, nickel, not so much, and cobalt is problematic, to say the least, which is why Tesla is [and hopefully others follow] ditching cobalt altogether in their next-gen 4680 battery form factor and silicon-based anode battery chemistry). So if one can engineer a crazy efficient EV drivetrain, lightweight/low-drab body, and the best thermal management system in the business, like the Tesla Model 3, using LFP for the low-end models with smaller battery packs and less performance simultaneously keeps the price-point down, matches battery chemistry to use case, reserves the high-performance cells for high-margin high-performance vehicles, and actually promises a longer-life battery and better range retention.

Finally, for high-performance EVs, a high-performance battery conditioning system is necessary. Early Model S performance versions like the P100D and those with Raven drivetrain refinements and Ludicrous Mode could humiliate even supercars in drag races but their performance would fall off on subsequent runs because despite the phenomenal power output of the motors and batteries, the heat just couldn't be sufficiently dissipated. With incremental updates to software, chassis, drivetrain, motor design, and shift to 21700 battery form factor from 18650, that hard driving-performance endurance problem began to abate. And with the Model S Plaid it is apparently a solved problem based on the numbers put down at the Nürburgring, Laguna Seca, Pike's Peak, etc. The solution was the Octo-valve, bigger radiators, smarter software, more powerful motors, lighter vehicle weight, more pre-conditioning, lower coefficient of drag, active aero, etc., etc.

Anyway, I tend to ramble in these things. I hope all this stream of consciousness was of some interest.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Nov 9, 2021 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:12 PM

It's basic optimization. Tesla isn't optimizing their cars for track days. If they did, the BMS would be a whole lot more powerful, with much larger cooling systems. Probably some super capacitors in there too for fast regen and discharge. Maybe they head in that direction for future performance versions. But for now, they mostly sell a bit more street fun and stupid fast straight line acceleration.

Should be noted, that it's not that EVs aren't capable of racing at all. Formula E is a thing, after all.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
The 330i also starts at $41,450. The Model 3 RWD starts at $44,990 but isn't available until October, so if someone needs a car right away, they'd have to step up to the Model 3 LR AWD, which starts at $50,990. And even then they wouldn't get it until December at the earliest.

So if someone needs an entry level luxury car in the near future, the 330i would be the better option, and it's $9,540 cheaper. The breakeven point in terms of gas savings and maintenance would probably be met 4-6 years into ownership if you want to factor in long term costs though. Most BMW owners typically replace their cars at this point anyway. If someone plans to keep their car beyond 4-6 years, then the Model 3 LR AWD would be a better option than the 330i. BMWs, I believe, are probably going to lose more in depreciation as well.
Keep in mind with the new spending bill just passed in the US, that $44,990 price of the Tesla 3 would drop to $37K with the rebate.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Yep. I think a lot of Tesla owners don't realize the limitations of the current generation of EV cars (in the future I'm sure it'll get better obviously) when they boast about performance.

I'm in a group of local track enthusiasts, and from time to time, we have Tesla owners taking their cars on track, which is great to see. We welcome all types of cars and appreciate drivers taking the time to hone their driving skills. However, one thing I see time and time again is that, while these cars are exceptionally fast, they're not able to sustain lap times because the power drops significantly over time. We're talking about 2-3 seconds per lap. So they can only do one fast hot lap, and then a few medium speed cool down laps. By then, 15-18% battery is used up, and they're only able to complete 6-8 laps total on a 2 minute track, before they need to recharge. Not only that, the brakes are usually cooked after 2 all out laps.

Of course, I'm sure this will improve over time as the technology advances. Would definitely recommend a complete brake (big brake kit, fluids, pads, ss lines) overhaul as well if you plan to do any sort of performance driving.
100% yes, Teslas are not meant to be track cars. Maybe the model S plaid has better specs but its also $160,000 (CAN). That car was built for speed though. I would never take my model 3 to a track. Im just saying for everyday driving it handles very well, and is super fast in accelerating. For highway driving, zipping through country roads and around town... its a joy.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Very interesting post. Some surprising revelations, at least to me.

My thoughts/questions:
- Why are they only able to do one hot lap, as the battery doesn't deplete until 6-8 laps? My impression was that you'd be able to drive them flat out until there was no charge remaining.

- Though I realize that a road course is hard on brakes, especially when you don't have a manual transmission to help engine compression take some load off the brakes to slow the car down (in an IC car), my impression was that an EV would go into regen mode on braking thus taking some load off the brakes. Or are the brakes just not that good on them?

- How long is the track? 2.5 mi? (Sonoma?) If so, does that mean with hard use that some Teslas only get like 20 miles of range? Or maybe I'm misreading it?

It's fascinating to read some of these experiences that you normally don't hear about for one reason or another.
When you're blasting the car at 230KM/H for 20 miles straight, you'd be shocked to see the battery drop. It's the same with a normal ICE car. Try taking your gasoline car out on the highway and driving at 220KM/H+ for 20 minutes straight. You'd burn through half a tank of fuel. Insane speed like that really depletes any energy source. Batteries are even worse than fuel for racing though because like others have said you only have a window of prime acceleration before things start to slow down as the battery tries to conserve energy. EV's at this point aren't meant for continual track conditions. 1-3 laps yes. But that's it. For normal day to day driving they are perfect.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
When you're blasting the car at 230KM/H for 20 miles straight, you'd be shocked to see the battery drop. It's the same with a normal ICE car. Try taking your gasoline car out on the highway and driving at 220KM/H+ for 20 minutes straight. You'd burn through half a tank of fuel. Insane speed like that really depletes any energy source.
Formula-E has been running for a number of years and last I checked they still switch cars mid-way through a race because the batteries can't last a full race without slowing the cars down tremendously. Tech is improving but isn't there yet. Would be very fun to see a Tesla entry at something like Le Mans but that's a fair bit off at the moment i'd think.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Formula-E has been running for a number of years and last I checked they still switch cars mid-way through a race because the batteries can't last a full race without slowing the cars down tremendously. Tech is improving but isn't there yet. Would be very fun to see a Tesla entry at something like Le Mans but that's a fair bit off at the moment i'd think.
Agreed. EVs are still a newer technology. Tesla has moved mountains already but there's still way more to do. In time they will improve I'm sure.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:21 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
When you're blasting the car at 230KM/H for 20 miles straight, you'd be shocked to see the battery drop. It's the same with a normal ICE car. Try taking your gasoline car out on the highway and driving at 220KM/H+ for 20 minutes straight. You'd burn through half a tank of fuel. Insane speed like that really depletes any energy source. Batteries are even worse than fuel for racing though because like others have said you only have a window of prime acceleration before things start to slow down as the battery tries to conserve energy. EV's at this point aren't meant for continual track conditions. 1-3 laps yes. But that's it. For normal day to day driving they are perfect.
Not necessarily.

Quote:
Porsche is known for overbuilding cars. Not only can a 911 Turbo S do 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, but it can do it back to back, over and over, without ever overheating or seeming to slow down. We know because we did 50 launches in a row with a 2014 Turbo S. If you think that's not true about high-speed running, too, think again. Because according to Porsche, the 992 911 GT3 can travel at 186 mph continuously for over 3000 miles.

The company knows because it's tested the claim. A testing team ran a prototype of the GT3 around Volkswagen's Nardo test track for 5000 km (about 3107 miles) straight. The car accelerated to 186 mph, maintained that speed until it was out of fuel, quickly refueled, and accelerated again. The company said that the GT3 had to perform flawlessly on this test to meet its durability standards.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...iles-straight/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I’m not a fan of the model 3. It looks like an oblong bun. But in certain colours (red mainly) it looks OK. The model Y looks like the 3 in oversized sneakers. That being said, it’s not the ugliest looking electric SUV (that would probably be the BMW IX).

I really like the look of the ioniq 5. I’m not sure what it’ll look like in person, but in photos it kind of looks like a cyberpunk VW golf.
A cars look is all subjective anyway. What one person hates another loves. I can't even recall all the compliments I've had on mine both inside and out. But like I said, I have my windows tinted, brakes painted, sexy matte black performance wheel covers, tires blackened, car always shined up. Im personally not a fan of the wheel covers Tesla gives you. But I know others who like them.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
For 99% of ICE cars, the fuel efficiency drops when you drive fast. You are NEVER going to get the same efficiency driving at 200KM/H+ compared to 60-120KM/H. I've tested this with all my previous ICE cars. Fast speeds will drain your tank. You can almost watch the bars drop.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:31 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
For 99% of ICE cars, the fuel efficiency drops when you drive fast. You are NEVER going to get the same efficiency driving at 200KM/H+ compared to 60-120KM/H. I've tested this with all my previous ICE cars. Fast speeds will drain your tank. You can almost watch the bars drop.
Oh yes, that's right. I thought you were talking about engine performance dropping with full throttle driving. My bad.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:39 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
100% yes, Teslas are not meant to be track cars. Maybe the model S plaid has better specs but its also $160,000 (CAN). That car was built for speed though. I would never take my model 3 to a track. Im just saying for everyday driving it handles very well, and is super fast in accelerating. For highway driving, zipping through country roads and around town... its a joy.
Unfortunately the Model S Plaid is still severely underbraked. I'm surprised Tesla doesn't offer any optional carbon ceramic brake packages for their performance models.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:44 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
A cars look is all subjective anyway. What one person hates another loves. I can't even recall all the compliments I've had on mine both inside and out. But like I said, I have my windows tinted, brakes painted, sexy matte black performance wheel covers, tires blackened, car always shined up. Im personally not a fan of the wheel covers Tesla gives you. But I know others who like them.
I think Tesla's look fine. Definitely not ugly. Maybe a little bland. But perfectly fine. However, I (and most people and automotive journalists, I believe) think the Porsche Taycan and Audi eTron GT look much better, both inside and out, and with higher quality materials. Of course, they're also much more expensive.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind with the new spending bill just passed in the US, that $44,990 price of the Tesla 3 would drop to $37K with the rebate.
That's if Tesla doesn't increase prices in the US, which they will. They don't have enough capacity as it is. Increasing prices is part of their demand management.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 4:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
That would be great, but it still wouldn't change the fact that you can't get a Model 3 RWD until next October. So we'd really be looking at the Model 3 LR AWD for $43,490, which would then make it an extremely attractive option.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the Model S Plaid is still severely underbraked. I'm surprised Tesla doesn't offer any optional carbon ceramic brake packages for their performance models.
Yeah, its more of a BEV muscle car than a sports sedan
Video Link

https://youtu.be/Hn9QWjxFPKM?t=418

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Some comments from the Tesla owners:

"the car pills power when the battery drops below a certain percent"

"You can run 15 minutes if you want, just head to the supercharger after the session. Problem isn’t the battery, your brakes will be done if you do that many hot laps. Obviously the faster you go, less laps you do. I burn about 10% juice per lap, I could get up 7-8 laps in theory."

"Optimum power will only last 1 lap"

"Started at full battery and ended at 60%. You'll see the battery temp display goes to red by the 5th lap."

"I only do one flying lap because as voltage drops, power does too. Trying to set the fastest time possible, so staying out for longer isn't really worthwhile for our goals. But for reference, on a slow out lap, fast flyer, and medium speed cool down lap, I use 15-18% battery. So if you're really cooking, I'd expect a flat out limit of 6 to 8 laps on a 2 minute track. Great time trial cars, but the technology and charging infrastructure is not suited for longer racing applications yet (at least when it comes at a reasonable price to the general public)"

So it seems like the battery/power gets spent if you drive all out for one lap. Soon, within a few laps, overheating batteries become an issue, in you're not limited by brake wear and overheating first. I think the OEM brakes just aren't good enough. Despite the Performance moniker, these cars aren't really suitable for true performance driving other than a limited number of acceleration runs.

Here's a lap at Sonoma, which is 2.52 miles.

Video Link
Thanks for the info and video. I think it's cool that people are venturing out to help explore the limits of EVs and reporting back to the rest of us, which helps us realize their state of development (in a sense).

I would assume that companies like Tesla are watching and collecting the data to use for future iterations. The carmakers of the past 120 years have been using racing as a test bed to understand limitations and how to make improvements, not just for performance but for durability as well.

Of course we all realize that taking a stock box Tesla out on the track will reveal some limitations that are more or less conditions (i.e. all-out racing) they were not spec'ed for, but it also shows out weaknesses that could also affect the average customer. Very interesting.

I notice the Tesla in the video is equipped with a cage, so I assume he is a more serious racer, and not some dude who decided to take his family car out for a track day to see what it can do. It's neat to see the display apparently showing out the power distribution as he powers through the turns. Very cool info overall.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Reminds me of:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:37 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Thanks for the info and video. I think it's cool that people are venturing out to help explore the limits of EVs and reporting back to the rest of us, which helps us realize their state of development (in a sense).

I would assume that companies like Tesla are watching and collecting the data to use for future iterations. The carmakers of the past 120 years have been using racing as a test bed to understand limitations and how to make improvements, not just for performance but for durability as well.

Of course we all realize that taking a stock box Tesla out on the track will reveal some limitations that are more or less conditions (i.e. all-out racing) they were not spec'ed for, but it also shows out weaknesses that could also affect the average customer. Very interesting.

I notice the Tesla in the video is equipped with a cage, so I assume he is a more serious racer, and not some dude who decided to take his family car out for a track day to see what it can do. It's neat to see the display apparently showing out the power distribution as he powers through the turns. Very cool info overall.
Yeah I think it's very interesting, and like you mentioned, shows us where Tesla can improve. Of course, not everyone has the money and resources to turn their cars into a stripped out, roll caged out track car. A lot of people just take their weekend car, or even daily drivers to the track as well. It's good to see some Tesla owners are willing to take their car to the track and explore its limits. It'd be interesting to see if any Taycan or eTron GT owners ever decide to bring their cars out as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada