HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 7:07 PM
User Since 2002

This building looks like a Pez dispenser. Sad!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 7:15 PM
DENNAB

I wonder how much hope there is in them changing the design. Like, the height is incredible, why not both? Why can't we just have a nice looking 500 meter building?

Not even sure if this is still getting built due to the Consulate issue but if it is I really hope they come to their senses.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 10:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I wonder how much hope there is in them changing the design. Like, the height is incredible, why not both?

What makes you think they don't think the design is incredible as is?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post
We are a cheap-architecture city because New Yorkers are a cheap-architecture people.

That's why NY has the highest construction costs on the planet. Too cheap.

And that's why no city on the planet has so many starchitect-designed buildings. Too cheap.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

That's why NY has the highest construction costs on the planet. Too cheap.

And that's why no city on the planet has so many starchitect-designed buildings. Too cheap.
Trashy cheap, not cheapy cheap. :-/

Expensive stuff can still look cheap.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:01 PM

Demolition Prep Begins For Macklowe’s 1,556-Foot-Tall Tower Fifth, In Midtown

BY: MICHAEL YOUNG 8:00 AM ON APRIL 21, 2020

Quote:
Demolition preparations appear to have begun for Tower Fifth, a proposed 1,556-foot-tall office skyscraper by Macklowe Properties. Located along East 51st Street between Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue, and directly to the north of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the 96-story supertall would be the tallest structure by roof height in the city, eclipsing Extell‘s Central Park Tower by six feet. YIMBY last reported that the project team had successfully negotiated a $192 million refinancing package from Fortress Investment Group. The $1 billion development is planned to span two plots of land, 5 East 51st Street and 12 East 52nd Street.
http://https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/04/demolition-prep-begins-for-macklowes-1556-foot-tall-tower-fifth-in-midtown.html

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:32 PM
DENNAB

Nice, I know some people hate this thing but I'm still excited.

I guess they resolved everything with the Venezuelan Consulate?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Imagine living in 432 Park Ave and working in Tower Fifth. That would be one boring life, aesthetically speaking.

Living in 111 and working in the ESB on the other hand.....

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:35 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Imagine living in 432 Park Ave and working in Tower Fifth. That would be one boring life, aesthetically speaking.

Living in 111 and working in the ESB on the other hand.....

If you live and work in the building you don't have to look at it, perhaps working in the building next door would suck more.

The views from both 432 Park and Tower Fifth are/will be incredible.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
Demolition Prep Begins For Macklowe’s 1,556-Foot-Tall Tower Fifth, In Midtown

BY: MICHAEL YOUNG 8:00 AM ON APRIL 21, 2020

http://https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/04/demolition-prep-begins-for-macklowes-1556-foot-tall-tower-fifth-in-midtown.html

That article is not accurate, actually.

Quote:
Tectonic recently stopped by the site, where it appears as though all the buildings slated for demolition are vacant and preparing to be gutted. The three low-rise buildings’ doors are boarded up and their storefronts sit closed and empty. A shipping container and metal carts to haul away debris and scraps sit along the curb on East 51st Street.

That site has been like that for months. The boarded up building on the right (of the three) is a landmark that has been undergoing work, and the container was being used for that. Demoliton could begin at any time, but I doubt Macklowe is able to demo the Venezuelan building (in the center) just yet.

Quote:
MAY 27, 2019

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:55 PM

A question for those of you who hate this thing: do you think a properly designed spire would make it look more acceptable? One perceived problem with the current design is that it's top-heavy. A spire might mitigate that.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
A question for those of you who hate this thing: do you think a properly designed spire would make it look more acceptable? One perceived problem with the current design is that it's top-heavy. A spire might mitigate that.
I don't think if you add a spire to the tower it would work as is. I prefer spires on towers that taper, or gradually decrease in size as you reach the summit. This tower is just the opposite of that. But a lot of it is on the programming. This tower is part office building, part tourists destination. Those upper floors don't need to be configured like that, but that is the nature of this particular observation deck.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 6:37 PM

Therfore tower fifth is sit to rise , hopefully the height will change to 1650ft cause new york already has a 1550ft supertall (central park tower).

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Therfore tower fifth is sit to rise , hopefully the height will change to 1650ft cause new york already has a 1550ft supertall (central park tower).
There's no evidence that this is set to rise. It only appears that Macklowe may be preparing to raze the buildings that he owns, which does not include the Venezuelan Consulate.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
There's no evidence that this is set to rise. It only appears that Macklowe may be preparing to raze the buildings that he owns, which does not include the Venezuelan Consulate.
Yeah, the sites been in this state for a year now. I think the only thing holding up the demo is the Consulate. The buildings on this side likely would have been down already. Macklowe is not shy about demo.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 9:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, the sites been in this state for a year now. I think the only thing holding up the demo is the Consulate. The buildings on this side likely would have been down already. Macklowe is not shy about demo.
Is there any way around this for Macklowe? It seems if Venezuela doesn't want to give up the consulate then it indeed it can't be built.

Unless he offers them baller new space in the tower, I wonder if he's thought of that? (I'm sure he has)

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Is there any way around this for Macklowe? It seems if Venezuela doesn't want to give up the consulate then it indeed it can't be built.

Unless he offers them baller new space in the tower, I wonder if he's thought of that? (I'm sure he has)

Here’s where things stand so far, 3 of the 5 sites have filed for demo about a year ago. The largest of the sites, 16 East 52nd, has filings that suggest demo may be off a bit.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
04/01/2020

FACADE REPAIRS AS PER THE PLANS FILED

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:15 PM
BANNED

I'd like to see a rendering of the 52nd Street side at ground level. I wonder if it will be basically an enormous ground level concrete slab.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Here’s where things stand so far, 3 of the 5 sites have filed for demo about a year ago. The largest of the sites, 16 East 52nd, has filings that suggest demo may be off a bit.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Cool thanks, is 16 East 52nd the consulate?

It seems that's the only thing holding him up, but my questions is, with Venezuela's refusal to move, can he just build over it like the Citicorp Center did with the church?

Is there any hope I guess is what I'm asking. I know Macklowe seems like the type of guy to get sh*t done but even he can only do so much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals