HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 10:25 PM

2011 Canada Winter Games

$15 million earmarked for Winter Games in N.S.
Ski Martock, Ski Wentworth among venues to get major upgrades
By DANIEL BONNER Sports Reporter
Mon. Feb 2 - 5:02 PM

With just over two years to go before the opening ceremonies in Halifax, the events of the 2011 Canada Winter Games received homes on Monday.

The organizing committee tabbed 11 venues for the Games and handed out $15 million for capital improvements during a press conference at the Mayflower Curling Club in Halifax.
“Selecting our sport venues is something that we have taken very seriously,” said J.P. Deveau, chairman of the 2011 board of directors. “We thought about where we could allocate our $15 million capital budget to have the most impact, to make sure our athletes can perform to the best of their abilities and to make sure we leave a lasting legacy for the community.”

Mainland Nova Scotia’s two ski hills will both be used for the competition, and together they received the lion’s share of the funding.

Ski Martock will be home to snowboarding, cross-country skiing and biathlon and took home the most money with $4,210,000. The funds will be used to improve snowmaking at the facility, improve downhill trails for snowboarding, improve the half-pipe and develop cross-country trails.

Andy MacLean, operations manager at Martock, said it all comes down to snowmaking.

“The upgrades to snowmaking are going to mean a more consistent season,” he said.

“The big thing for us is to make sure that we’re going to be able to have enough snow, because all of those three sports require snow, and to make sure that we’re going to be able to open those facilities early enough to provide training and competition over the course of the season.”

MacLean also said that the improvements will help make Martock a viable training option for high-level athletes.

“We have athletes right now that are travelling all over the world and North America that have to go west, at least to Quebec to compete and often times train,” he said. “It’s going to mean that we can provide training and venues for competition as well.”

Ski Wentworth will host the alpine and freestyle skiing. It received $3,188,000 to improve snowmaking, improve downhill trails and develop runs for freestyle skiing.

The previously announced Mainland Common Centre, set to be the centrepiece of the Games, will receive $1,000,000 of its total $40.5 million price tag from the organizing committee. It will be home to artistic gymnastics, badminton and synchronized swimming.

The St. Margaret’s Centre will host short-track speed skating and will receive $932,250 for a major upgrade. The facility will convert its 20-year-old SMC Arena to official Olympic size (200 feet long by 100 feet wide) and increase the seating capacity from its current 250 to around 1,000.

“We’re looking forward to a whole new dynamic to the St. Margaret’s Centre,” Mike Leroux, St. Margaret’s Centre General Manager, said.

“We hosted a provincial (championship) recently and we’re going to be hosting a possible Atlantic/national championship in 2010. I think there’s a lot of interest out in the area for short-course speed skating and I could foresee a club being organized out there.”

Long-track speed skating will be housed in a temporary, non-refrigerated oval on the Halifax Commons. The project will cost $696,000 and will be dismantled after the competition.

Dartmouth Sportsplex ($455,000) and Cole Harbour Place ($336,000), home to hockey and ringette, respectively, received funding for general upgrades including new boards and glass and dressingroom improvements.

The venerable Halifax Forum will host boxing and will use $892,400 for room, office and electrical upgrades.

Saint Mary’s University will play host to squash and judo and receive $215,000 for upgrades to its existing squash courts.

Curling will take place at Mayflower, and the club will receive $86,000 for upgrades to the ice plant and the ice shed room.

Halifax Metro Centre will host the opening and closing ceremonies and co-host hockey. The facility was not awarded money.

Organizers are still in negotiations for the final two venues for the two-week event. One will hold table tennis and wheelchair basketball, while the other will host archery and shooting. The committee has earmarked $25,000 for each of the remaining venues.

The 2011 Canada Winter Games will be held Feb. 11-27, 2011.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 12:41 AM

Sweet!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 3:15 AM

Wow that's a lot of upgrades. Notice how they're not putting any money into the old metro center.

This is going to be a huge boost to the city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Wow that's a lot of upgrades. Notice how they're not putting any money into the old metro center.
Yeah, but they are putting big bucks into the Forum!?!

Imagine a proper, modern facility on that site. It would be booming.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 12:25 PM

I was just reading another article about the 2011 Games and apparently because of trials next winter all of the upgrades to the ski hills (Martock and Wentworth) are going to be completed this summer. So by this time next year some better runs and snow should be on the hills.

Here's the article if anybody wants to read it

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yeah, but they are putting big bucks into the Forum!?!

Imagine a proper, modern facility on that site. It would be booming.
I don't think $900k is going to turn the Forum into a proper, modern facility. Unfortunately.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
I don't think $900k is going to turn the Forum into a proper, modern facility. Unfortunately.
No, and that's the problem. That is nearly a million bucks pissed away on an obsolete facility. That is where the MC replacement needs to go.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Nope defenitely not. The money is just going towards new floors, a zamboni, offices/electrical/entrance upgrades.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
No, and that's the problem. That is nearly a million bucks pissed away on an obsolete facility. That is where the MC replacement needs to go.
I'd much rather see a new arena downtown, personally.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 2:58 AM

the halifax regional school board is giving students the 2 weeks off during the games so they can see it,
i think they may be shorting certain vacations though

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
the halifax regional school board is giving students the 2 weeks off during the games so they can see it,
i think they may be shorting certain vacations though
I think the deal is there will be no March Break that year which cancels out a week. As for making up the rest of the time I think they said the two weeks are usually when snowdays are so the school year won't be affected much.

I'm not positive on those facts though I didn't pay much attention to it cuz I AM OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL IN JUNE!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 12:26 AM

All there is to say this is as Nova Scotian as it gets. Article from Halifax News Net

Tim Hortons named officlal Canada Games sponsor
Published on September 29th, 2010

The Halifax 2011 Canada Games welcomed Tim Hortons as an official sponsor, which will provide more than 5,000 volunteers with food and beverages throughout the 18 days of the Games. The sponsorship also includes access to the Tim Hortons Children's Camp in Tatamagouche, which will serve as the Games satellite village for over 300 athletes, coaches and managers participating in ski sports at Ski Wentworth.

In addition, Tim Hortons is the presenting sponsor of female curling.

"On behalf of the local Tim Hortons restaurant owners in Halifax we are proud to support the 2011 Halifax Canada Games," said Adam Smith.

"Tim Hortons believes in strengthening local communities and is honoured to support an event dedicated to the development of Canada's young athletes."

"With the Games fast approaching, support from generous sponsors like Tim Hortons is integral to our success. Tim Hortons' strong Canadian presence and focus on supporting minor sport makes this an ideal partnership," said John Rogers, 2011 board member and marketing and sponsorship division chair.

Tim Hortons currently sponsors over 200,000 children who play on hockey, soccer, lacrosse, t-ball, baseball and ringette teams across Canada in their Timbits Sports Programs. The program's philosophy is not based on winning or losing - but on learning a new sport, making new friends, and just taking time out to be a kid.

The 2011 Canada Games will raise $8 million from corporate sponsors. Sponsorship targets remain on track with more than two-thirds of funds raised or pledged. For more information on sponsors, visit canadagames2011.ca.

The 2011 Canada Winter Games will be the largest multi-sport event held in Nova Scotia and Halifax's first Canada Winter Games. From Feb. 11 to 27, more than 2,700 athletes will compete in more than 20 sports, attracting thousands of visitors, VIPs, officials and media.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2010, 6:50 PM

Love it. Just finished my daily triple triple.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 6:10 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Permanent Halifax skating rink a possibility

The Canada Winter Games' long-track speedskating oval has triggered calls for a permanent outdoor skating rink, says the councillor for downtown Halifax.

District 12 Coun. Dawn Sloane says the 400-metre track in Halifax Common is obviously popular, with hundreds of people taking part in public skating each day this winter.

Its popularity led officials to hold an additional family skate Saturday.

Sloane said the long-term costs of operating a similar permanent ice surface would have to be studied first.

"What we should do is look at other cities that have the same kind of venues, see how much it costs them in maintenance and [to] keep it up and going, and then put a proposal in," she said.

"There's already a lot of conversation via emails from councillors back and forth about what could be done or how could we do this. So I have a feeling staff will take that in a direction of finding out the information we need."

Oval user Ron Maddigan is among the track's supporters.

"I think the outdoor facility permanently is a great idea," he said. "A couple of bucks to be able to go for a family skate and be able to enjoy the outdoors and stuff, it's a no-brainer really."

The oval will be used for the Canada Games from Feb. 11 to 27 and taken down in March.

From the CBC http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...permanent.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:01 PM

I tried the oval out while I was home - I liked it (despite the wind chill). I'm all for them keeping it.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:04 PM

i read in an article a few months ago that the city might want to use some of the refrigeration units used at the oval for outdoor hockey rinks around HRM
i think that would be a great idea.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 8:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The plan was always to keep the refrigeration units and use them for outdoor skating rinks around the province.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 8:23 AM

Councillor Sloane's facebook noted there was a great piece on CTV national news about the oval and the fact that local shops are running out of skates. I thought it was great!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 3:01 PM

Re: Councillor Sloane's facebook noted there was a great piece on CTV national news a

Here is the link from CTV National News!

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/halifax-ice-oval/

Wish they had an aerial shot to show the country how impressive it looks.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 3:52 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac26 View Post
Here is the link from CTV National News!

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/halifax-ice-oval/

Wish they had an aerial shot to show the country how impressive it looks.
Im not sure if anybody has seen them yet but there are some photos of the oval, including aerial shots on www.savetheoval.ca
It's an online petition to keep the oval permanently. In the first 2 days I heard it received about 5000 signatures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment