HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
My ridiculous standard is hiding the parking garage in the most expensive and aesthetic way possible. This would require mechanical ventilation and the use of the same material as the rest of the building. Very expensive I'm sure. But very anti 3rd and Shoal and Independent's barn yard fencing. I don't buy that all underground parking is a major problem seeing how NYC has found a way so close to the Hudson River, its all about being able to charge enough in rent to offset the costs of doing so, which we can't, yet. Parking podiums are our reality, I expect and demand, haha, that they at least not look like stacked surface parking lots.
austin sits on like a foot of dirt and then a few hundred feet of limestone. nyc sits on wayyyy more dirt and has granite bedrock. granite is an order of magnitude easier to dig and drill through. and an order of magnitude less expensive.

tldr; if we sat on dirt and granite(like NYC) all our garages would be underground. and we would have a subway too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
austin sits on like a foot of dirt and then a few hundred feet of limestone. nyc sits on wayyyy more dirt and has granite bedrock. granite is an order of magnitude easier to dig and drill through. and an order of magnitude less expensive.

tldr; if we sat on dirt and granite(like NYC) all our garages would be underground. and we would have a subway too.
So I'm no geologist, but I think you have it backwards. Limestone is significantly softer than granite, and around here can often be ground or scraped away by fairly standard construction excavation equipment. Granite usually has to be drilled and/or blasted for removal.

New York's main advantage is that granite is more stable and has higher bearing capacity than most limestones so very tall buildings can be supported on relatively shallow caissons where the bedrock is closer to the surface. The Manhattan skyline is practically a 3D diagram of the underlying geology. The tallest buildings in Downtown and Midtown bear on bedrock where it is the shallowest. Other areas have shorter buildings because the cost of deeper foundations are higher, limiting the feasible bearing capacity of taller buildings.

Austin limestone and chalk is great for excavation and tunneling, but because a lot of it is fractured, it carries ground water and is less stable, so foundations and tunnels need to go deeper to more stable layers.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:54 PM

reminder of the finished product

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
So I'm no geologist, but I think you have it backwards. Limestone is significantly softer than granite, and around here can often be ground or scraped away by fairly standard construction excavation equipment. Granite usually has to be drilled and/or blasted for removal.

New York's main advantage is that granite is more stable and has higher bearing capacity than most limestones so very tall buildings can be supported on relatively shallow caissons where the bedrock is closer to the surface. The Manhattan skyline is practically a 3D diagram of the underlying geology. The tallest buildings in Downtown and Midtown bear on bedrock where it is the shallowest. Other areas have shorter buildings because the cost of deeper foundations are higher, limiting the feasible bearing capacity of taller buildings.

Austin limestone and chalk is great for excavation and tunneling, but because a lot of it is fractured, it carries ground water and is less stable, so foundations and tunnels need to go deeper to more stable layers.
I feel like here, building heights are going to be determined by the FAA

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:10 PM

Looks like a very transparent wire mesh going up. This is from a distance, need to see up close. Apologies for the bad photo quality.

Last edited by Speculator; Oct 16, 2020 at 12:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 3:22 AM

A lot of us are posting "reminder" photos haha. Goes to show how we're all excited for this one to go up!

--
No worries, Speculator! Any photo showing progress is fine w/ me!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:40 AM

Having above and below ground garage helps for getting cars in and out. I feel like if you out this much parking 100% below (or above) the ground, it would be a nightmare to navigate.

If you simply want less parking, well, we need project connect to be built at the minimum.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 12:34 PM

Hello hello! Loving the silvery hue of this so far. Not too blue, not too blah. This is truly gonna be so gorgeous!!!!

Thanks for the snap, Urban

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:16 PM
クラブトクヨ

oh yesss this is looking good!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:20 AM

Last edited by Urbannizer; Oct 21, 2020 at 6:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:54 AM

That's the best view of the Long Center ever!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:23 PM
Resident Moron

I voted at the central library yesterday and the bridge on 2nd looks like the sun has bleached it white already :p

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:48 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I voted at the central library yesterday and the bridge on 2nd looks like the sun has bleached it white already :p
You know, the last time I was down there (a few weeks back), I thought it seemed to have faded a bit as well.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:36 AM

Can't wait for the finished view from here.

site for uploading photos

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:12 AM

It looks like a lot of progress in just 2 days. In 2 weeks, they will be working on the 1st setback, and I'm guessing as the floor plate gets smaller the higher they go, we could be seeing 3 floors completed every two weeks, giving this a March 2021 t/o party.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:23 PM

<p>

<p>

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:28 PM

Sprouting up quickly. This glass does look pretty nice and I'm excited to see it on the curved face.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 10:12 PM
Old West Austin

I've been wondering how they will clean windows on that western face. Some guys hanging from a rope with a bucket and a squeegee?? I wouldn't think you could do it the traditional way but who knows.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 1:32 AM

Any updates on 44 east?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin