HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:13 AM

Walking and Cycling Infrastructure

CTV article on $8M spend on bike path projects.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/work-under...ndon-1.5057993

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

What's the matter with that?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post

I assume the shocked angry face emoji is because it's shocking the city took this long to finally build some decsnt cycling infrastructure?

This is so important. And as a wortley villager who loves going to Old East, this will dramatically reduce my car use.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Amazing.

Peanuts against the $80 billion spent on car path infrastructure over the years.
The most subsidized industry in history, anywhere, is that of the automobile.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:03 PM

City moves to award design contract to build bridge for multi-use path over Richmond St north of Sunningdale Rd.. This bridge will also serve to market London and act as a "gateway". Path connections will eventually continue east towards the subdivisions north of Sunningdale between Richmond and Adelaide. And link to paths westward towards the Medway Valley path.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...idge-1.5769448

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 9:43 PM

Not to say that isn't needed at some point, but I would think there is plenty of opportunity within the city that has been waiting for infrastructure like this a lot longer than the new north. For example, the Medway area that MolsonExport has posted about a few times. Connecting Gainsborough to Windermere would benefit an order of magnitude more people than this one will. I suppose that is more expensive than this though.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

very little recreation of any sort has been added to northwest London, despite the rapid population growth, and despite the fact that it is chock full of young families (I have two kids, now in their teens, and we've been here since they were born, when this part of London was mostly fields and forests).

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 5:18 PM

Report on bike infrastructure improvements.

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=75944

Most of the money is targeting improvements to street side infrastructure. Very little is going towards TVP multiuse expansion like the Medway Valley pathway.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:32 PM

Underground bike storage system in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDLQ6dGj0U

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:52 PM

Very cool! I forgot we had a thread like this set-up lol, so I will add this CTV News clipping here from last month...

Quote:
City council has unanimously backed one of the largest investments in active transportation ever in London, Ont.

A commitment of $10.7-million from city hall would unlock $29.3-million of senior government funding remaining since 2019 in London’s allocation of funds from the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program (ICIP).

If the application is approved by senior governments, the $40 million would fast track numerous cycling and pedestrian infrastructure projects planned across the city
You can find how they may allocate the funds in the article but basically, there is some funding left over from the federal and provincial governments, which can only be used for active transportation projects. Projects must be completed by 2027.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 7:30 PM

Yeah its a neat design for a bike storage system. I would image it would also work above ground rather then underground. Sinking a 8-11 meter deep well in London downtown might have water issues.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2022, 4:02 PM

Fanshawe Park Road bike path rebuild (between Adelaide and Medway Creek bridge) is pretty much complete. Project started last summer with one final phase that started in April.

Brydges/Wavell bike path installation should be finished in a few weeks, and the left-turning lanes will be restored in all 4 directions at the Brydges/Hale intersection.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 12:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

bike/pedestrian bridge connecting Windermere and Gainsborough (or thereabouts) is badly, badly, badly, badly, badly needed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 12:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

bike paths along Hyde Park Road. Nothing like having a stream of F-150s and Dodge Rams driving 80kms/hour, coming within 1 foot of your handlebars.

One slip up and you are dead. But think of the pickup truck drivers. London is what you get when you build a city for pickup truck drivers. stroads, drive-thrus, more stroads, sprawl.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
bike/pedestrian bridge connecting Windermere and Gainsborough (or thereabouts) is badly, badly, badly, badly, badly needed.
Yes! That would be awesome. Hopefully it's done one day.

Quote:
bike paths along Hyde Park Road. Nothing like having a stream of F-150s and Dodge Rams driving 80kms/hour, coming within 1 foot of your handlebars.

One slip up and you are dead. But think of the pickup truck drivers. London is what you get when you build a city for pickup truck drivers. stroads, drive-thrus, more stroads, sprawl.
Agreed!

I live just off of Fanshawe Park Road between Highbury and Adelaide, and the bike lanes there are not protected as well, it's just some paint separating the bike lane. In fact, the majority of the cyclists I see on this stretch, ride on the sidewalk and I don't blame them one bit. Like you said, who wants to ride right next to speeding traffic?!

Thankfully, it seems like the city has finally realized they have been screwing up on that, and as such, any roads rebuilt going forward will have the bike lane, built within the boulevard. There was a city document from last year saying that they hope to eventually convert the majority of the existing painted bike lanes, and permanently separate them from the road, but who knows how long that will take.

It's my opinion that if the city were to have a good network of safe cycling infrastructure, that we would see more people choosing to ride their bike in some situations. I know I (and several others) would consider riding my bike more often if that were the case....

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post
Thankfully, it seems like the city has finally realized they have been screwing up on that, and as such, any roads rebuilt going forward will have the bike lane, built within the boulevard. There was a city document from last year saying that they hope to eventually convert the majority of the existing painted bike lanes, and permanently separate them from the road, but who knows how long that will take.

It's my opinion that if the city were to have a good network of safe cycling infrastructure, that we would see more people choosing to ride their bike in some situations. I know I (and several others) would consider riding my bike more often if that were the case....
I am happy to hear that, much safer for everyone involved to have the bike lane within the boulevard.

I rode down hyde park once and can confirm it felt like a death trap, most of the traffic is going 80 and there is not much room.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 4:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is not much different than painting a bike lane into the breakdown lane on the 401. It is a deathtrap. I avoid it even though I live extremely close to it.

And those ridiculous green-painted merge zones on roads like Sarnia....does anyone on a bike feel safe using these? Reticulated bus on one side, and a caravan of pickup trucks on the other.

why are there so many goddamn pickup trucks? In Canada, driving a truck or SUV makes motorists as much as 224 per cent more likely to kill someone in a collision. Pickup trucks have greater tailpipe emissions than most other vehicles on the road. This is especially true of larger V8 and diesel engine-powered trucks. Even the modest 2.7-litre EcoBoost Ford F-150 produces around 100 tons of Co2 over the course of its lifespan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 7:21 PM

Quote:
why are there so many goddamn pickup trucks? In Canada, driving a truck or SUV makes motorists as much as 224 per cent more likely to kill someone in a collision. Pickup trucks have greater tailpipe emissions than most other vehicles on the road. This is especially true of larger V8 and diesel engine-powered trucks. Even the modest 2.7-litre EcoBoost Ford F-150 produces around 100 tons of Co2 over the course of its lifespan
I wish I knew what the appeal was, personally never owned a truck and unless I had a business that required it I do not see the point. The occasional time you need a truck bed vs the up front cost, fuel differences you could likely rent or Uhaul trailer for cheaper. That or borrow a truck from one of the many people you know who likely have one.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 2:45 AM

Quote:
It is not much different than painting a bike lane into the breakdown lane on the 401. It is a deathtrap. I avoid it even though I live extremely close to it.

And those ridiculous green-painted merge zones on roads like Sarnia....does anyone on a bike feel safe using these? Reticulated bus on one side, and a caravan of pickup trucks on the other.

It’s probably due to the fact there are a lot of trade workers in London and if you are in the trades you need something to carry material, tools, haul, ect. I personally think though that is only when a truck should be needed.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2022, 3:16 AM

I think part of the truck culture is a self fulfilling thing. People think it's dangerous because of all the trucks so they get a truck too, which causes more people to get trucks so they don't get killed by all the trucks. Justified of course because they used the truck to take some bags of leaves to the yard waste depot one Saturday last fall. "Can't do that in a Prius" lol.

For sure there are a ton of people using trucks for work. But you go through any mall parking lot on a Saturday and look at the trucks, there's rarely a scratch in and around the bed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure