HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:58 PM

Missing Links and Realignments In London's Roads

Making a new thread about London's missing links.

Do you guys think some of these roads should be linked up and how fast should they be done?

Missing Links
Gainsborough Rd. to Windermere Rd. to Kilally Rd.
Sarnia Rd. to Huron St.
Adelaide Rd. S between Commissioners Rd. E and Southdale Rd. E
Bradley Ave. is being worked on
Colonel Talbot linking with a curve over to Boler Rd. around southdale

Realignments
VMP north
Commissioners Rd. W

Any more am I missing?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London has more missing links than combinations in this puzzle:

bestofthe80s

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post

Do you guys think some of these roads should be linked up and how fast should they be done?

Missing Links
Sarnia Rd. to Huron St.

Realignments
VMP north
Commissioners Rd. W

Any more am I missing?
I'd say Gainsborough-Windermere-Kilally would be the most important, as there's currently no east-west thoroughfare across the city between Oxford and Fanshawe Park, and both those routes are bad at rush hour. I'd prioritize that corridor over Sarnia-Huron because Sarnia Road doesn't continue west of Hyde Park Road (nor can it easily) while Gainsborough Road does, and Huron isn't really a practical through route between the river and Adelaide Street due to it being somewhat narrow, and having a discontinuity across an environmentally sensitive ravine west of Adelaide.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:23 PM
User Registered

A new bridge connecting Riverside to King would also be a good link.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:08 PM

Sarnia to Huron doesn't do anything for me because of the already mentioned issues between Richmond and Adelaide. No real gain there I don't think.

I've mentioned a couple times my desire for the Killaly-Windermere-Gainsborough link, and I would further that with Killaly to Veterans in the east, and Westdel Bourne to Gainsborough in the west. And then interchange at Westdel and 402.

Adelaide South would be nice but I can live without it. If it was done, I would like to see a tie in to the 401, if even just a ramp off the westbound ramp.

Have to admit I never thought of a link from Colonel Talbot to the Boler/Southdale link, and I live there. But I would like to not lose the current alignment either. Maybe as part of the development over there, Boler will be extended south to Pack (future Bradley).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 3:08 AM

I Don’t think the Gainsborough/Windermere would work. Too many nice houses up that way and the Medea’s forest.

I’m pretty sure they were trying to build a pesdestrian bridge but that kept failing.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:30 AM

There was once planned a Horton-Florence connector. With the BMO Centre now being built its impossible now.

There was a plan for Wellington to be extended north at Alexandria, along Beverly and to connect directly with Colbourne over the Thames river.

Andover was planned to be extended south of Southdale and connect with Wharncliffe.

I made a map several years ago with all the road deficiencies of London, with current and cancelled plans. It's not up-to-date but relevant and good visual.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?...Z7vh4MKw&hl=en

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:29 PM

https://www.london.ca/residents/Road...0for%20BRT.pdf

This link Pg. 7 is the most up to date I could find regarding these issues and has 3 realignment's or filling in a missing link the city is interesting in. Colonel Talbot, Bradley Ave, and Commissioners Rd. Besides these 3 doesn't look like any others at this time. Pimpmaster I like the map you made. I feel if we could have Westdel Bourne to Gainsborough or Fanshawe Park Rd it would be great for the city to.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:30 PM

Franks Lane at Gainsborough, which is where Westdel Bourne would meet up, is less than a mile either way to Denfield Rd to the east and Vanneck Rd to the west, that connect to Fanshawe, so I would say we are good just getting Westdel that far. There are 2 rail lines (interesting that the 2 lines meet in that area and then split up through the city lol) to cross there as well, although level is probably fine (as much as I hate those lol). We would need the county's participation since the city stops at the river though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:33 PM

Maybe this election will be won by the candidate that completes these important missing links on London roads. They would be a huge relief on traffic flow.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpmasterdac View Post
There was once planned a Horton-Florence connector. With the BMO Centre now being built its impossible now.

There was a plan for Wellington to be extended north at Alexandria, along Beverly and to connect directly with Colbourne over the Thames river.

Andover was planned to be extended south of Southdale and connect with Wharncliffe.

I made a map several years ago with all the road deficiencies of London, with current and cancelled plans. It's not up-to-date but relevant and good visual.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?...Z7vh4MKw&hl=en
That "westend expressway" should be started sooner than later, and should extend to Fanshawepark Road before it is too late to do it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:37 PM

The current London Official Plan has a Transportation's corridor map, which if you open up the individual tiles, future road connections can be seen:

https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...11x17_grid.pdf

It should be noted that this plan will however be superseded by the London Plan.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the West End is where all the growth is occurring but as usual London builds more arenas, soccer fields, and access roads in the East. We in the western part of the city have been shortchanged.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 6:30 PM

Last edited by Spoofy; Oct 10, 2023 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoofy View Post
We are getting a few nice things here in the west end, namely:
  1. Huge YMCA Community Center
  2. Widening all of Wonderland Road
  3. Extending Bradley Avenue over to Pack Road
Well, one of those is actually happening, not just being talked about. But it is kind of laughable to use arenas and access roads as an example of the west being shortchanged when you look at the new Wonderland 401 ramp and the southwest community centre, which is more than Y, but also a library, pool and double pad arena. We could use another gas station somewhere along Colonel Talbot though lol

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:03 PM

Good thread idea on road network gaps. Also worth talking about road choke points where we have 2 lanes goto 4 lanes and visa versa. Fixing these will improve travel times significantly.

Wharncliffe Rd - CP bridge and Western Rd widening is a major choke point that will change traffic flow patterns when completed.

Historically Cheapside St didn't get opened up between Boullee and McNay and McNay just west of Highbury until the late 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post

Missing Links
Sarnia Rd. to Huron St.

Realignments
VMP north
Commissioners Rd. W

Any more am I missing?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 4:34 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Well, one of those is actually happening, not just being talked about. But it is kind of laughable to use arenas and access roads as an example of the west being shortchanged when you look at the new Wonderland 401 ramp and the southwest community centre, which is more than Y, but also a library, pool and double pad arena. We could use another gas station somewhere along Colonel Talbot though lol
nowhere at all near the fastest growing part of London: NW London. Fucking 401 corridor and East London is where all the investment goes but few of the residents.

I have my son in soccer. Every single fucking game and practice is east of Adelaide or on Adelaide.

Widening of all Wonderland? When, in 2034?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 3:38 PM

We are in Byron and the last 2 years, my daughter's soccer was constantly in the northwest for games. Maybe your kids are in the wrong league, I don't know.

Northwest got the first indoor pool. The "east" only got an indoor pool because it was there when the army left. Sure, the area up around Fanshawe and Hyde Park should and will at some point get a community centre like the ones being built now, but you guys just have to wait your turn. The southwest isn't exactly slow growth either, and the Argyle area has been waiting a lot longer.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The current London Official Plan has a Transportation's corridor map, which if you open up the individual tiles, future road connections can be seen:

https://www.london.ca/business/Plann...11x17_grid.pdf

It should be noted that this plan will however be superseded by the London Plan.
I'd never heard of the plan to link Riverside directly to King over the Forks before.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'd never heard of the plan to link Riverside directly to King over the Forks before.
Its been on the books for decades. There use to be residential properties on the south side of Riverside Dr by the folk of the Thames that held up these plans. City finally acquired the last property in 1996, but never followed through with the bridge or any EA/detailed plans. With Ivey Park redeveloped and the assumed costs, its unfortunately never going to happen now. Maybe BRT would've resurrected this plan but instead Queens Ave bridge will be retrofitted for 4 lanes and Kensington will continue as eastbound crossing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure