HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

300 North LaSalle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 15, 2008, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
This building really doesn't have the sort of breathless verticality that was present in the renders. But I'm reserving final judgment until the fins are installed.
Ah the fins. I knew there was something missing.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
I don't think fins could salvage that at this point.
They won't salvage chances of becoming another coup for this boom, but they still could salvage it as a positive addition to the river canyon and skyline.

I think the crown of a building (or of anything) tremendously sways how it's perceived as a whole, so in a way this is like a mystery novel without its final, decisive chapter written yet. There is still a wide range of possibilities for how the last chapter could be written. Of course I am a little pessimistic since we are definitely in a VE'ing environment these days, but I'm still holding out hope they go out boldly on this one, rather than with a whimper. C'mon Hines, which version do you want to forever adorn your portfolio / marketing materials?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 1:11 PM
Registered

^ That's one of the problems with Hines: They have plenty of other glamorous projects to use to sell projects.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 2:58 PM

hey, just a winnipegger here. i love seeing your developments along the river. just thought id drop in and say you've got a real nice tower adding density along the river. looks good!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 6:37 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
They won't salvage chances of becoming another coup for this boom, but they still could salvage it as a positive addition to the river canyon and skyline.

I think the crown of a building (or of anything) tremendously sways how it's perceived as a whole, so in a way this is like a mystery novel without its final, decisive chapter written yet. There is still a wide range of possibilities for how the last chapter could be written. Of course I am a little pessimistic since we are definitely in a VE'ing environment these days, but I'm still holding out hope they go out boldly on this one, rather than with a whimper. C'mon Hines, which version do you want to forever adorn your portfolio / marketing materials?
I think 300 is undoubtedly a positive addition to the River, the streetwall, and the skyline. I wouldn't describe it as a great building, but I do think it is a solid development. I agree the crown in very important, its why I haven't diagrammed 300 yet. Personally, I knwo the north face is flat, but I'm really diggin the white spandrel or whatever is up there to give more body to the vertical lines. It would be awesome if these were lanterns and on the South face of the building as well. I think even with a big thick fin, there just isn't really enough variation to salvage that aspect of the building. Let hope 444 is a bit of a redemption for Hines. 300 turned out fine, but it is disappointing, at least relatively. The VEing exaggerated some of the design flaws, but to me, its hardly a loss...just not the expected profit.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
This building really doesn't have the sort of breathless verticality that was present in the renders. But I'm reserving final judgment until the fins are installed.
depends on the lighting conditions.

i know one thing, it's an improvement on what was there.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 9:11 PM

Smile

for a none Chicago resident it surely is an impressive Building. Ok not as impressive as maybe Trump or the Sears tower but still has a lot of presence. Also the glass looks awesome for real, just like you guys captured it on photographs

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:19 PM
Windy City Dan

lighting

In the first renders, it looks as if there is light coming up from the setbacks. But in some of the night time shots, i cant recall seeing this feature, i wonder if it's something they truly plan on implementing or if they just threw it in there to jazz up the render.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:38 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Lighting is generally one of the last things added on a building. It needs to still be there, but I don't think it would have been installed/turned on yet, irregardless of its final presence.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 2:47 AM
Chicago

October 16, 2008

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
October 16, 2008

Does anyone know what is holding up the installation of the curtainwall on the last floor? From my vantage point, it appears that maybe perhaps they still have brackets to attach to the steel at the top. They have some scaffolding up on the roof and people are working along the south edge of the building.

Anyone have any "inside scoops"? What is the schedule for move-in? When is Kirkland & Ellis scheduled to start occupying the building?

Lobby work seems to be going well, but I wish they'd clad that ugly cinderblock stairwell on the southeast corner with something already!!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:20 PM
Javier

Wow..that was some fast construction. How long did it take for this tower to get built?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
Chicago

October 14, 2008

October 16, 2008

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 1:09 AM
devout Pizzatarian

check out all of the pics from my 11 mile kayak adventure on the river here: The REAL chicago river.... or "i think i'm officially addicted to kayaking"

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 6:14 AM

From the Kennedy Expy 10-19-2008

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
October 16, 2008
what a wonderful use of precast system. but i wonder how well that custardy yellow is gonna look... i'm not very familiar with precast, is the color an aspect of some kind of process, or is it just a favorite choice? it just seems like the concrete should be gray... isn't the concrete on the bridge gray?

...or is it the fact that people in this city are terrified by the natural color of materials?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 8:13 PM

^ the only thing I think of when I see bear concrete is "unfinished". I feel like the interior of every UIC building is unfinished. Yeah, I appreciate great architecture, but I don't appreciate people stuffing good architecture down my throat. A lot of people don't. I'm not saying I like painted concrete, and I'm not saying I like what they're doing down there either, but this "natural color" crap concerning concrete gets unbearable. concrete is like food on a plate that has been chewed up and exposed to acid in your stomach, and then thrown up and hardened. Wow, how natural. I'd rather have broccoli than broccoli chewed up with chicken, potatoes, orange juice, and apple pie.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
what a wonderful use of precast system. but i wonder how well that custardy yellow is gonna look... i'm not very familiar with precast, is the color an aspect of some kind of process, or is it just a favorite choice? it just seems like the concrete should be gray... isn't the concrete on the bridge gray?

...or is it the fact that people in this city are terrified by the natural color of materials?
The yellow goes with the steel on the bridge, green glass and green river....looks good with the red brick on the east and west sides of it.

I am a fan of concrete gray too.....but am very happy with this color.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
The yellow goes with the steel on the bridge, green glass and green river....looks good with the red brick on the east and west sides of it.

I am a fan of concrete gray too.....but am very happy with this color.
umm, but the steel is dark maroon...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 6:20 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post

Well... considering that neither the architect nor the developer are from Chicago, I think you should cut the "people in this city" crap. I'm just as disappointed as you, but let's be fair. Could the City be doing more? Yes. Is Chicago this island of bad taste? Hardly.

Anyway, the obnoxious color is probably pleasantly named "ochre" and it's a matter of choice. Seems they're trying to "warm up" the concrete to more pedestrian tastes, but I think it's a mistake, considering that nearly every other building along the river has respected the Burnham plan's Indiana Limestone (or at least its color). I think it's especially jarring with the river bridge.

300 Looks like it wants to somehow "respect" Chicago's traditions, but they didn't take much time at all to understand them. You know: "Oh, we've got a Chicago commission, well, it's just got to be a box. It's what they're used to. Oh, it's on the river. How nice. Well, the base just has to be stone(-ish)."

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive