HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they don't sell $50 t-shirts at either store - hollister t's are usually $24.95 or less - my friend just got some on sale for $6.80 - they have hoodies right now on sale for $30

and Zara is considered to be a cheap label like H&M which turns around runway looks quickly and cheaply - at the most a t-shirt is like $35 there

Le Chateau on the other hand deals in $45-$50 t-shirts which is ridiculous
I like ZARA but I find them anything but cheap. Their dress shirts are just as expensive as other places and can set you back close to $100.00 depending on the shirt.

ZARA is much better than H&M. Quality is much higher.

On a side note, the Hudson's Bay Queen Street store is looking pretty nice. They are just finnishing up on renos to the mens floor and it looks great. Very high class looking.
One thing that bothered me was that with all this renewal and amazing renovations at the store, The Bay cheaped out on Christmas Street yet again. It is small and shell of what is used to be like even 10 years ago. I remember when it covered an entire floor and was really something to see. Now it is in a little corner on the lower level. They used to put so much effort into it. And considering the changes in the store you would think they would have done something big. I was expecting something big to, as they have been advertising that XMAS Street is opening soon

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:51 AM

xmas is dying in canada less people celebrate now than in the past i think
more and more - at least in vancouver - stores and restaurants stay open - that never used to happen - everything was shut tight on christmas except for gas stations - dennys when i worked there in the 90's would shut down now it stays open

the bay here just put out christmas stuff from last year trying to sell it at 50% off the last price and its all crapppy looking and way overpriced - people want cheap - target puts it on at 90% off at the end of january - they need to do that here - almost all my christmas stuff is from target we used to go down every year to get it - now i don't need anymore stuff maybe one thing a year

it certainly isn't like it used to be - maybe multiculturism has changed it?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:38 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
xmas is dying in canada less people celebrate now than in the past i think
more and more - at least in vancouver - stores and restaurants stay open - that never used to happen - everything was shut tight on christmas except for gas stations - dennys when i worked there in the 90's would shut down now it stays open

it certainly isn't like it used to be - maybe multiculturism has changed it?

Def, The only places with closed stores is either downtown, Kits or malls.
Everything else is open, like the chinese restaurants ect.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:30 AM

plus there is the whole movement amongst christians to reject the commercial aspect of it and celebrate the real reason and have a simpler christmas

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:18 PM

CIBC to offer Canada’s first Visa debit card

Canada is finally joining much of the rest of the world with a debit card that can be widely used in other countries and for online purchases.

Visa Canada and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce began offering the card, dubbed “Advantage,” Monday.

“Canada is one of the last countries around the world to get this capability,” said Mike Bradley, head of products at Visa Canada, adding that the juiced-up debit cards are available in some 160 other countries.

Officials at Visa and the bank said the card, which can be used wherever Visa is accepted, is likely to appeal to frequent travellers, as well as students and recent immigrants who may not have credit cards.

While officials were reluctant to discuss why Canada is getting debit cards with the broader functions of international and online debit only now, part of the reason for the delay appears to be this country’s unique not-for-profit local debit network, Interac.

Interac’s member include a co-operative of Canadian banks, trust companies, credit unions, caisses populaires, merchants, and technology and payment related companies. It is understood that some industry players have argued that the network, which operates for “cost-recovery” rather than profit, would not be a strong domestic competitor for a large operator such as Visa or rival MasterCard.

As part of Monday’s arrangement between CIBC and Visa, Interac will continue to handle Canadian debit purchases for CIBC’s new Advantage card.

Diane Brisebois, president and chief executive of the Retail Council of Canada, said her group is concerned the trend will ultimately drive up costs for merchants.

“If I’m a retailer and someone on my site pays with debit Interac, it doesn’t matter if it’s $150 or $300, the processor pays the same amount, whereas with Visa it’s a percentage,” she said.

“Visa and Mastercard are well known for building brands to increase demand in the market place, but we feel in Canada that it’s coming at too high a price. Our American colleagues are extremely envious of our system and the costs associated with it. We don’t want to inherit the American system,” she said, adding that the retail council was surprised to see the announcement from CIBC and Visa on Monday.

“While they see this as innovative and creating competition, we see it as a step backward. Competition usually means downward pressure on pricing, not upward,” Ms. Brisebois said.

The international and online debit transactions using the new card will be backed by Visa, and will be covered by the same security features and protections that come with using a Visa credit card. This coverage includes “provisional credit from the issuer to the cardholder’s account while disputed transactions are investigated, so cheques and other banking activity is not disrupted,” according to a spokesperson for Visa.

Mr. Bradley said Visa has relationships with other big banks in Canada, and the objective is to make the new version of the debit card “widely available” in the market.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz12qkMQzZl

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
Victoria's Secret's next Canadian location - Calgary, Chinook Centre has been confirmed.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-sale...AdIdZ236068767
Any idea of where in Chinook Center? I think most likely the old Eddie Bauer space.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 3:30 AM

Small stores face uphill battle getting into malls

TENILLE BONOGUORE

Big-name “anchor tenants” at Canada’s shopping malls are increasingly using their market clout to keep small businesses and other competitors off their linoleum turf.

Restrictive covenants banning everything from rival delicatessens to muffin stores have been included in big-chain lease agreements for decades as a way to ensure a desirable retail mix. But entrepreneurs and lawyers are reporting that in recent years major tenants are using them to tighten their stranglehold on malls.

“There is a chilling effect that goes on when these covenants exist,” said James Morton, a prominent commercial lawyer and former president of the Ontario Bar Association.

The restrictions have become a more urgent problem in the past five years, said Toronto-based commercial leasing lawyer Stephen Posen, who fields queries about restrictive covenants at least once a week – often from mall owners.

“Landlords are grasping for potential leases,” he said. “The problem I see the most is [landlords] saying, ‘Can I lease this place to this store for this purpose?’ ”

Often, the answer is “no” because anchor tenants that might have accepted minor infringements in good economic times are less pliable now. “If it’s not an unreasonable encroachment, they [anchor tenants] are not bloody minded, but they’re more firm in their resistance now than they may have been three or four years ago,” Mr. Posen said.

For Vancouver-based Clancy’s Meat Co., restrictive covenants are making it almost impossible to find adequate sites for the 25 franchised outlets it wants to open in destination-malls from B.C. to Ontario.

Clancy’s CEO Paul Monger insists his company, which sells higher-end fresh and frozen meats, is not in direct competition with grocery chains. He’s more interested in taking on the other national meat chain, M&M Meats. “We want to get into the triple-A establishments to set the tone [for the franchise],” Mr. Monger said.

But even personal phone calls to grocery-chain executives have not convinced them to loosen their restrictive covenants. “They’re incredulous that we’re even calling them. There’s no way … they’re going to let us in.”

It’s not a problem that’s likely to ease any time soon. Given falling tenancy rates, mall owners are scrambling to land high-profile tenants, Mr. Morton said.

“These [restrictive covenants] have become more common because anchor tenants have become more important and they’ve become harder to get.”

Restrictive covenants exist in a legal grey zone: Entrepreneurs are entitled to fight the restrictions but, even though the courts generally don’t like to limit free trade, a strong and clear covenant will likely be upheld, Mr. Morton said. “If an anchor tenant and mall owner come to an agreement, and the agreement is clear, the law will enforce it.”

Luc Cornelli, president of property management and leasing firm High Park Leasehold Ltd., said increasing numbers of tenants are asking for restrictive covenants, but landlords generally only grant them to national stores with a proven record of bringing in business.

"Landlords don't like restrictive covenants," Mr. Cornelli said. "When you've got a restrictive covenant, basically you are tied."

Companies with restrictive covenants can grant waivers to allow a new shop into the mall, but that option rests entirely on what the newcomer wants to do or sell. "It's basic business sense," Mr. Cornelli said. "if it's in direct competition, they say no."

Retail tenancy consultant Mike Parker sees a related headache for small businesses on the horizon: The emergence of super-malls that showcase global brands. New or small businesses find it “very challenging” to get into these top-tier malls, he said.

As a result, new entrepreneurs have to start their businesses in street locations and at smaller malls until they become “proven concepts,” Mr. Parker said. “Retail has become a much more global business. There is a tiering right now … [in which] the best malls are increasingly similar in having the best tenants.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1764877/

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 4:16 AM
Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoKing View Post
Any idea of where in Chinook Center? I think most likely the old Eddie Bauer space.
I was thinking the location will be in the new phase, on the 2nd floor directly above the Armani Exchange store.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:41 PM

Victoria's Secret Chinook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
I was thinking the location will be in the new phase, on the 2nd floor directly above the Armani Exchange store.
Victoria's Secret will be in the south wing with around 12,000 sq.ft., taking the former Eddie Bauer and part of the current Gap space. Gap is undergoing a renovation/downsizing (going from 22,000 sq.ft. to a still oversized 16,000 sq.ft.).

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 6:49 AM

RBC takes a bite from Apple Stores

GRANT ROBERTSON — BANKING REPORTER

Royal Bank of Canada (RY-T55.76-1.05-1.85%) is preparing to unveil this week a new generation of branch outlet that, if the strategy works, will make people forget they are inside a bank.

In an unusual move for a financial institution, RBC has turned to the Apple Store, one of the more successful retail concepts of the past decade, for inspiration in drawing new customers.

Much as the Apple Store has done with its cash registers, RBC is pushing its tellers to the back of the branch and opening up the front of the outlet to let people come inside and play with technology.

The goal, says David McKay, group head of Canadian banking at RBC, is to attract non-customers as well as regulars into the branch by giving them something to do in addition to their daily banking.

While there won’t be a selection of sleek iPads and iPods on display, as in an Apple Store, RBC will offer an “innovation bar” that includes interactive screens and gadgetry.

Its marquee attraction is a surface computer that, when coins are placed on its counter-top screen, automatically calculates the amount of cash, then computes how much it could earn if invested in various ways.

“We looked outside the [banking] industry and a lot of the design principles come from retailers,” Mr. McKay said. “It doesn’t look like a branch, it looks like a store ... an environment that you want to walk in and interact with.”

As Canadian banks battle for customers, the strategy is to reach out to the non-converted. For banks are much like fitness clubs – non-members aren’t likely to go into a branch without good reason. So financial institutions are looking for new ways to connect with potential customers.

ING Direct, an online bank that has flagship outlets in major cities, calls its versions cafés rather than branches, and tries to give them the feel of a coffee shop. ING also hosts non-bank activities at its cafés, such as weekly yoga nights at its Vancouver location, which are done in partnership with retailer Lululemon.

ING Direct chief executive officer Peter Aceto said the bank has staff on hand during the yoga sessions to answer questions, but there are no sales pitches to open accounts.

“It’s passive,” he said. “The cafés are designed to be the antithesis of what we think of as a branch. Sort of soothing – not an official, formal type of place.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1770834/

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:18 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
plus there is the whole movement amongst christians to reject the commercial aspect of it and celebrate the real reason and have a simpler christmas
The holidays aren't really dependent on religion to prosper. My entire family are atheist and we celebrate the holidays with gusto. It's a cultural phenomenon for us and always has been. Family, presents, a tree, candles, great food, decorations, etc. Many of these things have either pagan, historical, or cultural links.

The holiday celebrations will likely stay as big as ever with or without religion.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The holidays aren't really dependent on religion to prosper. My entire family are atheist and we celebrate the holidays with gusto. It's a cultural phenomenon for us and always has been. Family, presents, a tree, candles, great food, decorations, etc. Many of these things have either pagan, historical, or cultural links.

The holiday celebrations will likely stay as big as ever with or without religion.
i agree - but in regards to shrinking christmas departments - christians who were the main buyers of decorations and such in recent years have turned their backs on the commercialization of it so thats a big chunk of demand lost with them - not all but a lot have scaled back and don't support it - i know my parents are like that now

the fact that the bay is putting out left over decorations from christmas past is pretty sad - just sell em off in january like they do in the states - we would go nuts at target in january - they drop their stuff to 90% off - i picked up like 10 boxes of lights one year for like $1.49 each

my muslim friend even buys christmas stuff - he likes to collect the little houses

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 7:25 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
i- christians who were the main buyers of decorations and such in recent years have turned their backs on the commercialization of it
Where's the evidence?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Where's the evidence?
well when i go to church around christmas its pretty evident - the priest talks about scaling back and embracing the real reason we celebrate it and not the trappings of it and he encourages less gift giving and more doing etc.

a lot of pentecostals I know too will not put up anything that is about santa claus and all the modern commercialized stuff

jesus is the reason for the season

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:34 AM

Telus opens Vancouver flagship outlet for lesbians, gays

Caya, or Come As You Are, brand offers unique retail experience

BY SCOTT SIMPSON, VANCOUVER SUN OCTOBER 25, 2010 6:04 PM

Josh Blair (left) and Kenn Hamlin of Telus with the words of Pierre Trudeau on the wall, have opened a new retail store called Come As You Are, (CAYA) which caters to gay, lesbian, bisexual etc customers, were photographed at the newly opened store on Davie Street.
Photograph by: Ian Smith, PNG

VANCOUVER - Kenn Hamlin sat down with co-workers and community partners to rethink the Canadian retail market for mobile devices, and the result will be the envy of everyone who ever bought a cellphone at a mall kiosk.

The store, called Caya, opened last Friday at the corner of Howe and Davie streets in downtown Vancouver. It is the first of a new retail brand that Telus wants to open across Canada, designed by and for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) community – or anyone else who wants an upscale experience when they’re mulling a mobile purchase.

Caya, an acronym for Come As You Are, features 20-foot ceilings, designer lighting, exclusive designer accessories for phones, MP3 players, e-books and laptops, photo processing, cameras and other services — even a charitable endeavour — wrapped into a 1,700-square-foot space.

You can buy a phone, use the in-store lab to download and print your digital photos, or investigate other subscriber services on the Telus roster.

But perhaps the most novel part of the space is its flexibility — Caya has also been conceived as a space for grassroots-scale community events.

The display cases for mobile devices are on wheels, and can be adapted for use as tables in support of community functions, which are conceived as an ancillary use of the space. There are also two full-sized glass garage doors that can roll up to access a 350-square-foot patio along the Howe side of the store.

Hamlin, director of special projects for Telus, and the corporation’s internal LGBTQ marketing team and community advisers collaborated on Caya with partner groups including A Loving Spoonful, Out on Screen and Vancouver Pride Society.

“A lot of them are very grassroots and need a space that they can call home to do fundraisers — and we’ve been approached by a couple already to book a gay wedding in the summer,” Hamlin said during an interview Monday at the store.

“We kicked off Friday night with a grand opening celebration. The store was actually packed and the traffic [since then] has been very, very steady – and that’s prior to doing any major promotions, which we are about to embark on.

“If you look at that internally at Telus, we’ve had same-sex partnership benefits since 1994. If you look at how we have engaged in the LGBTQ community, from a community affairs and investment perspective, we’ve given over $1 million nationally to a number of LGBTQ organizations.

“There has been a long-standing partnership, and in listening to those people we were told that this particular space would be welcome.”

Hamlin is also proud of a feature called the ‘Giving Wall.’ Drop a $2 coin into a slot and the money goes directly to a program called Out in Schools, a program intended to make students safe from bullying and homophobia.

Giving Wall donors are recognized on video screens inside and outside Caya, and on a website, thisiscaya.ca.

“We gave them a $10,000 donation on Friday from our employee charitable giving campaign and are going to be donating $25 from every smart phone sold in the store through the end of the year to the program as well,” Telus spokesman Shawn Hall said.

A second Caya outlet is under construction on Water Street in Gastown and Hamlin said the company is looking at expansion to other markets across Canada.

“As the first store in what will be a retail chain under the Caya banner, you want it to be your flagship store,” Telus executive vice-president of human resources Josh Blair said. “You want it to be a store of statement and energy and emotion that establishes the Caya brand for years to come.”

All the Caya outlets will have a focus on the LGBTQ market sector, Blair said.

“I think there are three tiers to diversity. The first is that every team member at your company or every customer that does business with your company feels included.

“The second step is how do you build a company where you can attract and retain the best workforce. You want to build a workforce that’s better than your competition by welcoming everyone to your workforce.

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...638/story.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 5:24 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Yes, I was just thinking about how I'd like to own a mobile phone, but none of the mobile phone retailers really speaks to me as a gay man.

This is absolutely one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 10:52 PM

Loblaw to open more than 500 mobile phone stores under the Mobile Shop name

The Canadian Press

BRAMPTON, Ont. - Canada's largest grocer plans to boost its position in the mobile phone market in a big way.

Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX: L.TO) says it will launch the Mobile Shop at more than 500 of its supermarkets, carrying phones from all of the major providers, including the new entrants.

The company says it will also continue to stock the PC Mobile line, as well as Bell and Solo phones it has been carrying since 2005.

It will also add brands such as Virgin Mobile, another Bell offering, as well as Rogers, Fido, Telus and new entrants Public Mobile and Wind Mobile.

Wind, Public, Mobilicty and other new services have been coming to market as the result of the federal government's decision to sell more spectrum licences and reserving some for newcomers in order to increase competition.

The retail market for mobile phones has been changing as well, with pop-up stores for each of the new carriers appearing in many cities.

BCE Inc's Bell (TSX: BCE.TO) has also purchased The Source electronics chain and Telus (TSX: T.TO) bought Black's photography outlets as channels for their products.

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/0...er-mobile.html

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:11 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Yes, I was just thinking about how I'd like to own a mobile phone, but none of the mobile phone retailers really speaks to me as a gay man.

This is absolutely one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out. Little surprises me these days. I'm sure there are lots of people who decide where to buy based on periphery things like store design, how cute the staff are, and advertising campaigns.

People buy tons of things for reasons other than what the actual product does.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
It would be cool if that space above Armani Exchange would be a Gucci or Louis Vuitton store. Probably not, but a Murale would be a nice store for that space.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 9:18 AM

Southgate welcomes Restoration Hardware to Edmonton

Upscale furniture, decor shop opens November 20

EDMONTON - Edmonton will get its latest new-to-the-city international retail giant when Restoration Hardware opens Nov. 20 at Southgate Centre.

The California-based retailer is opening a 9,100-square-foot “gallery-style” store.

The chain is known for its upscale and classic designs in the areas of furniture, bath fixtures and bathware, linens, hardware, lighting, area rugs, window treatments and gifts. It also has a children’s collection.

It will be Alberta’s second Restoration Hardware. A store opened in 2008 at Calgary’s Southcentre Mall.

Southgate Centre is also getting Edmonton’s fourth Aeropostale store.

The teen fashion retailer opens at the mall on Friday.

Danish home furnishings and accessories retailer Jysk plans to open its third Edmonton store, it announced Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...#ixzz14UaKpK2x

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada