HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
OK, maybe it's an overreaction to a building's design being taken down a peg. And you're right... Eeyore's Birthday and a few other Austin mainstays still do happen. But when I compare Austin's vibe to when I was there in the 80s and 90s, there's a big difference. More than just the time difference.
There are articles from the 40s in the statesmen where people say the same thing. The reality is austin us doing what it always has and you are having issues dealing with the fact that you’re getting older and closer to death. That’s what’s going on.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:08 PM

Here you go; rode my E-Bike to downtown to get some shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Does anyone have a photo of the construction office trailers JDawg reported seeing on the surface lot across the street from the site earlier this week?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:32 PM

Thanks for the shots, agsatax! So these are confirmed for 98 RR?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:36 PM

I didn't see any signage related to DPR on the trailers. I'm guessing maybe combined space for 98 RR and River Street Residences which DPR is also GCing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:42 PM

Thanks for the update, agsatx88!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The original, better version of a building's design is almost never the one that gets built. They either get value engineered or the company's president's son needs to make a change so he can say he played a part in the design. It's a shame... Austin is getting a nice supertall when it could have been getting a nicer supertall. Still, it will be a good addition to the skyline... one that will make it official that Austin isn't weird anymore.
Hard disagree on this one having been value engineered vs. what seem pretty clearly to be early conceptual renderings (and poorly-done, almost certainly not meant for public consumption). I don't see a reduction in material quality or a watering down in design here -- quite the opposite. The different programming between the residential, hotel and office portions, the use of materials, the increase in complexity, all look like refinement to me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 4:38 PM

The first renderings were just a vision entered in the design contest for this project.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
There are articles from the 40s in the statesmen where people say the same thing. The reality is austin us doing what it always has and you are having issues dealing with the fact that you’re getting older and closer to death. That’s what’s going on.
Post of the year so far! It's the human condition to want some things to stay just as they were in one's youth.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 24, 2022 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 9:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Post of the year so far! It's the human condition to want some things things to stay just as they were in one's youth.
True, and I have painfully obvious example to share, though, it's less about any of the locations the business was located in and more about seeing those businesses having a harder time finding somewhere that they can afford and are operating under the constant possibility that their location might be redeveloped forcing them to move again. And it's not as though these aren't long lived local businesses, they are. The one I'm talking about specifically that comes to mind now that I just visited it this weekend again for the first time in a few years, is Anna's Toy Depot in the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center. It's a place I first visited 30 years ago as a kid and ultimately introduced me to LEGO. For anyone who knows me well or who remembers me mentioning it here, I collect LEGO. I have over 100,000 LEGO pieces. I would go there pretty much every weekend and buy LEGO. I went this weekend, and the guy who works there told me they're planning to close at the end of the year. Granted, Anna has been operating the business for 30 years, but there was never any indication recently that she had planned to retire or close. She's always had her locations along South Lamar but had moved several times over the years. Once the news broke about the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center, I immediately thought of her since she had just moved there not too long before then. I don't know how soon the shopping center will be redeveloped, and honestly, I don't care about it. I love what they have planned for there and I'm excited about it. Still, I do hate that every small local business has to operate here with the constant threat of having their location redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:52 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Thanks for the shots, agsatax! So these are confirmed for 98 RR?
Yes! My friend who's been on this development from the start confirms these are the 98RR construction trailers.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:40 PM

Can we keep it a clean topic without bashing/name calling?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 3:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
True, and I have painfully obvious example to share, though, it's less about any of the locations the business was located in and more about seeing those businesses having a harder time finding somewhere that they can afford and are operating under the constant possibility that their location might be redeveloped forcing them to move again. And it's not as though these aren't long lived local businesses, they are. The one I'm talking about specifically that comes to mind now that I just visited it this weekend again for the first time in a few years, is Anna's Toy Depot in the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center. It's a place I first visited 30 years ago as a kid and ultimately introduced me to LEGO. For anyone who knows me well or who remembers me mentioning it here, I collect LEGO. I have over 100,000 LEGO pieces. I would go there pretty much every weekend and buy LEGO. I went this weekend, and the guy who works there told me they're planning to close at the end of the year. Granted, Anna has been operating the business for 30 years, but there was never any indication recently that she had planned to retire or close. She's always had her locations along South Lamar but had moved several times over the years. Once the news broke about the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center, I immediately thought of her since she had just moved there not too long before then. I don't know how soon the shopping center will be redeveloped, and honestly, I don't care about it. I love what they have planned for there and I'm excited about it. Still, I do hate that every small local business has to operate here with the constant threat of having their location redeveloped.
I remember your posts of Austin City Legos. They were awesome!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:10 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Not gonna lie....I expected 98RR to be taller. This seems very short, squatty even, and fairly uninspired.

I do like how they're playing off of the Independent with the fencing though.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Not gonna lie....I expected 98RR to be taller. This seems very short, squatty even, and fairly uninspired.

It does complement the Fairmont podium quite well.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

It's actually fairly common for projects to go through several iterations of design changes, especially when considering the tenants' changing needs and unforeseen budget setbacks.

In this case, the major client (TESLA) appears to have backed out at the last minute, but the project was still salvaged by prospective buyer Chuck E. Cheese.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywest87 View Post

In this case, the major client (TESLA) appears to have backed out at the last minute, but the project was still salvaged by prospective buyer Chuck E. Cheese.
what

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:27 PM
Resident Moron

I heard container bar had relocated to a smaller single story footprint nearby.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I heard container bar had relocated to a smaller single story footprint nearby.
They need to bury those power lines, otherwise I’m ok with brutalist aesthetic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin