HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 5:43 AM
ARTchitecture

But what you gotta realize is that people as far as Terrace Bay and even Dryden would go to Thunder Bay to shop at Costco! As my ex would say "so much value!" lmao! Maybe not many from that far away, but I guarantee it would attracted more people to Thunder Bay's retail market.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:29 PM

Costco was ready to build in Thunder Bay 3 years ago just across the Main St. bridge near where Gardewine's terminal is. They even went so far as to clear the lot and get it ready. They were forced out when mainly Superstore put up a huge stink with the city. Whatever Superstore did (I'm not sure how they did it but they did), they essentially forced Costco out. You can't stop progress forever though so I can see Costco arriving eventually. You also have to realize the arrival of Costco would probably stop a good portion of the people that go down to Duluth to shop at Sam's Club from making the trek.

=========

Lakehead Motors is expanding their dealership. The current entrance (where that curvy metal shit is stuck to the roof right now) is going to be replaced with an addition that is the same height at the remaining part of the building and the entire front of the building is going to be redone. A second building is going to be added on the south side of the property. This is all going to make room for Lakehead to offer Fiat and Mercedes brand cars. Northstar Mercedes has been bought out and is being moved over to Lakehead from their current location by the airport. Work will probably begin this summer.

Apparently some issues have arisen with the foundation of the Delta hotel at the waterfront, and work has stopped. I got a hold of this information through hearsay, so I can't confirm this is definite but I wouldn't be surprised if it is given the nature of the site near the lake shore.

Contrary to rampant rumours, the Slovak Legion in the east end is not closing. I personally heard this rumour several times and had a hard time believing it given the amount of business they still receive. The Port Arthur Prosvita on the other hand has supposedly been sold to the Thunder Bay Indian Friendship Centre and will become their new home. The Friendship Centre is currently located on Cumberland.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:09 PM
I am a typical

The lot across from the Gardewine terminal isn't cleared.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The lot across from the Gardewine terminal isn't cleared.
It wasn't across from Gardewine, it was right on the corner of Hammond and Main St. I don't think they ever finished getting the lot cleared, they had just picked it out as their location of choice and started doing some work. When was that Gardewine terminal built?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
I am a typical

The Gardewine terminal was built in 2005. Commissioners Way, behind it, was closed as a street around the same time, so that must have been where the Costco was going to go. That street would make the site too small for Costco, but eliminate it, and you could have a situation like Superstore or Walmart where a former street is incorporated into the development plan. That lot was cleared out in 2002 according to Google Earth. The port authority originally made that street in the 1990s because it wanted to develop a business park there.

I do remember talk of a Costco around the time of the 2003 election. After that, focus shifted to the potential Sam's Club in the corner of Thunder Centre now occupied by Toys R Us.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 12:08 AM
I am a typical

They've got their work cut out for them.

Saw this on an architecture blog; an example of what the Sports Dome could have been:

http://kateoplis.tumblr.com/post/459...-turned-resort

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 11:32 AM

Small infill development close to new courthouse

Greetings all,

I've also been a keen reader of this site for a long time. There are some really good insights on what's going on in Thunder Bay, construction-wise. I would like to add a little tidbit. It's a modern infill development on Leith St. Hopefully should get off the ground by June.

The image was created by Tighlines Designs in North Carolina for the project. There will be two single family homes, each on 25ft lots. The lot across the street was also recently donated to Habitat for Humanity so something should be going up there too.

There is a complete lack of infill lots in both downtwon cores!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 5:37 PM
I am a typical

There are lots of infill lots, but most of them are owned by the people who own the houses beside them so that they can have a larger yard, or they're located on busier streets. I can see, several years from now, people buying cheaper houses in both cores to demolish and build new. We've already seen a couple examples of this around Hillcrest Park.

How did you come across that project?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 6:29 PM

You're right. There are a number of lots but very rarely does something come on the market. Hopefully in a few years we'll see some 'densification' around both cores (already happening in the north core).

I am the person who's trying to develop the Leith St. Property. If its successful I'll try my luck again if I can find a suitable location. I hope to start marketing them this week or next week. The final streetscape will have the neighbouring buildings included and that should be done tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 8:40 PM
I am a typical

Awesome. Good luck!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 10:27 PM

I am the person who's trying to develop the Leith St. Property. If its successful I'll try my luck again if I can find a suitable location. I hope to start marketing them this week or next week. The final streetscape will have the neighbouring buildings included and that should be done tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Ya! Good luck
I went thru the east end this past weekend, stopped at the Commissary to pick up some of their sausages, they are finally making some

There are a few houses for sale on McIntosh street

Old Posted Mar 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
I am a typical

The Commissary is back up and running? I heard they had closed.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Up and busy as ever,

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:34 AM

Quote:
It was posted on here that it was closing after the May flood. I guess that turned out to be false. Is it still the same owners?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
It was posted on here that it was closing after the May flood. I guess that turned out to be false. Is it still the same owners?
they closed due to lossing everything in the flood and then having to rebuild

yes, its the same owners

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 3:45 PM

Good news about the commissary. They have the greatest 'kubassa' in town! I believe their parents or grandparents used to run a similar store on Finlayson St. back in the 1960's and 70's and they are now following in the tradition. My dad used to take me to the Finlayson St. Store when I was a kid.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADLS View Post
Good news about the commissary. They have the greatest 'kubassa' in town! I believe their parents or grandparents used to run a similar store on Finlayson St. back in the 1960's and 70's and they are now following in the tradition. My dad used to take me to the Finlayson St. Store when I was a kid.
the store on corner Finlayson/McMurray street was called Family Grocery
I'm not sure if it was the same family though

http://goo.gl/maps/ja9Jf

there was another corner store right across the street, but I don't remember them selling meat

http://goo.gl/maps/PWE7D

there was another local meat place located in the East End at the foot of the bridge, it was run by a family as well, both brothers were wore very thick glasses and it always scared me that they would cut off a finger when they used to slice the lunch meat

http://goo.gl/maps/x5DyY

Last edited by ccnews; Mar 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM. Reason: additional information

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:50 PM

Here's the final streetscape with neighbouring buildings. They should be listed by Wednesday!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 5:54 PM

Didn't seem to upload. Trying again.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2013, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADLS View Post
Didn't seem to upload. Trying again.

flat roofs

but otherwise, should be ok for a single or couple
not sure about a family

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario