HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 5:59 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Can't blame the NIMBY's. That looks like shit
Careful what you ask for:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 12:18 PM

When will it end!? This beige fad is so bad for Chicago. Truly awful.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 1:50 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Tell me that's not a real, current proposal........please. Looks almost Dick Mannish, or perhaps Mark McKinneyish.....or their hideous designphobic scandalous love child....at any rate a nightmare.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Please tell me that isn't the rendering for the small / mid rise apartment proposal in the river north neighborhood along Dearborn. Yuck!!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 5:55 PM

^ That is soooooooooooo River North!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:14 PM

Yeah, that's not wonderful. That rendering, along with the rendering for the previous iteration, are from a weird perspective, though (maybe not even a real one?). I'd still like to see an elevation for this before I lament the presence of this. At least the first four floors are more contextual...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
That is soooooooooooo River North!
It hurts. It hurts so bad.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 8:01 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like the garage! C'mon, I've heard you praise some buildings for being delightfully tacky. This building is like Hooters.
Needs more orange. I live near the River North Hooters, and two Germans I have been hosting over the weekend went there last night "just to say they'd been." No accounting for taste ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Is that a real variant?

For those who couldn't figure it out, that's the location of the proposal for 707 N Wells, but a lot of surrounding buildings are missing for some reason.

I suppose it is more "contextual" but only if the context is that Flair Tower thing on Erie ...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like the garage! C'mon, I've heard you praise some buildings for being delightfully tacky. This building is like Hooters.
Ed Debevics is delightfully tacky. Hooters is awful. But point taken. Sort of. I mean, I enjoy that garage, too, but precisely because it's so bad/not-good. And I don't think kitsch is evidence of an architect's talents.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:27 AM
Illustrator

Movie Set

It's over now, but this weekend there was a movie (Jupiter Ascending) that was being filmed on Canal, close to the construction site for 444 West Lake.

There were also several other locations all over the city, mainly along the river and around the Gold Coast where they filmed this weekend.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodoo25 View Post
It's over now, but this weekend there was a movie (Jupiter Ascending) that was being filmed on Canal, close to the construction site for 444 West Lake.

There were also several other locations all over the city, mainly along the river and around the Gold Coast where they filmed this weekend.
They were rigging lights on the Lake st bridge yesterday afternoon.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:14 PM
dream fast

7-21

Wrigley Plaza rehab

Existing glazed terra-cotta

Recreated glazed terra-cotta

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:35 PM

5 three-story, 6 residential unit buildings (30 total units) got approved for work in "South Old Irving Park" on Milwaukee, not terribly far from Kilbourn Park. This is nice because the site is currently a small open field - More infill. Architect is Bill G. Kokalias.

Buildings at 3408, 3414, 3420, 3426, 3434 N Milwaukee Ave

Last edited by marothisu; Jul 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:41 PM

When will the Wrigley Plaza get retail?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Needs more orange. I live near the River North Hooters, and two Germans I have been hosting over the weekend went there last night "just to say they'd been." No accounting for taste ...

Is that a real variant?

For those who couldn't figure it out, that's the location of the proposal for 707 N Wells, but a lot of surrounding buildings are missing for some reason.

I suppose it is more "contextual" but only if the context is that Flair Tower thing on Erie ...

Let's just really hope that this wasn't an unsophisticated developer/architect team's response to unsophisticated River North NIMBYs. For me, this is absolutely the most frustrating type of awful design that I see in this city. Either when you have a development/design team that simply doesn't know any better, or just caves to any uninformed, unknowing neighborhood 'feedback', and produces a design to be more 'contextual', inoffensive etc when in fact it is not at all, and usually ends up being ridiculously bad postmodern or neotraditional garbage. The obviously better contextualism would be to keep the design modern, but respectful, taking some scaling, massing cues, etc. Just the slightest bit of design sophistication is needed. By appearances, nobody seems to have it in the case of 707 Wells. The first version (if this was infact the chronological order) was right to be modern, but it was a clumsy, disrespectful attempt. So then there's this preposterous over(mis)reaction by pulling a 180 and making it some beige painted concrete pomo schlock in an attempt to be more contextual, when in fact it is anything but!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
They were rigging lights on the Lake st bridge yesterday afternoon.
They are filming in a house near Dearborn and Schiller in the Gold Coast as well for this movie. I was running when I came across the quiet set and a bunch of people trying to get a glimpse of Channing Tatum. I kept running.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 5:26 PM
The City

Retail-apartment tower planned at busy Lakeview intersection

HELLLLLS yeah, I've been waiting YEARS for something here to happen. That Dunkin donuts parking lot is such a pathetic use of that space. Even if the NIMBY's whittle this down to half its size, it will be a huge (and much needed) boost for that intersection.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Retail-apartment tower planned at busy Lakeview intersection

HELLLLLS yeah, I've been waiting YEARS for something here to happen. That Dunkin donuts parking lot is such a pathetic use of that space. Even if the NIMBY's whittle this down to half its size, it will be a huge (and much needed) boost for that intersection.
Besides getting the height reduced I wouldn't expect significant neighborhood interference. The DD it's and parking lot are magnets for problems late at night...many people around here would be very pleased to see it go away.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:12 PM
North Beach Style

As a neighborhood resident, the Belmont and Clark project would be fantastic, though I'll hate to see the Taboo building on Belmont get demoed. The next step would be redeveloping the huge wasted parking area/drive through bank zone at Belmont and Halsted. It will be interesting to see how the height-fight plays out as there is a 15 story senior building 1/2 block away down Clark.
I've seen God bow and make the clouds shake
I've seen the proud break
I've seen alot for a blind soldier
Who tattooed the cityscape upon skin just to blend in...
-aesop rock

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
The developers plan to tear down the existing structures to make way for an eight- to 12-story building that would include two levels of retail, two floors of parking and several stories of apartments, Mr. Lake said. The pair hopes to secure a grocer as an anchor tenant for the estimated $50 million project, Mr. Blitz said.
I wish they could at least incorporate the facade of 850-854 Belmont into the design rather than tear everything down. Is the exterior terra-cotta? Regardless of what it is, I like the detail... more interesting than most new construction ever produces. But otherwise I'm thrilled to hear this corner will finally be redeveloped into something more appropriate for a location just two minutes from the L.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development