HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonguy View Post
As someone who took a client DT recently, I was shocked at the lack of 'civic pride'. There was litter everywhere on 101st; it just looked filthy. (and that's not on the province, that's the city all the way)
In downtown Vancouver and surrounding commercial areas, landlords' ops/maint teams are out first thing in the morning sweeping and removing litter, and hosing vomit and human waste away if necessary. It makes such a huge difference versus what I have seen in Edmonton.

I have no idea if it was a BOMA or DBA initiative, but there seems to be a collective acknowledgement here that expecting someone else to deal with the issue won't get anything dealt with.

Perhaps there is a similar program I'm not aware of in Edmonton, but for me it's not visually aware that there's an Edmonton program.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontonguy View Post
As someone who took a client DT recently, I was shocked at the lack of 'civic pride'. There was litter everywhere on 101st; it just looked filthy. (and that's not on the province, that's the city all the way)

I know it's always like this during the turnover season, but we must find a better way to present ourselves, otherwise the 'sadness' of our DT will continue.

Quite frankly, I don't see our DT becoming revitalized anytime soon.

When the arena was announced, I was hopeful. Now, I just see the core lurching along, as the suburbs continue to expand at an exponential rate.

Social issues aside, this falls on city hall. They love to 'dream big', but follow through on maintenance and cleanliness is an afterthought, as they move on to the next big project to hopefully spur the next chapter of 'revitalization' so they can pat themselves on the back.

Some examples: replacing brick pavers with asphalt, letting all the newly planted trees die and wither and NOT replacing them. Will the Jasper Ave fancy lights ever be complete? Garbage overflowing waste bins. Dirty entrances/ exists to LRT stations. Crumbling or broken concrete on new infrastructure that is never repaired. McDougall Hill road feels like you're driving over a country road, with all the wear and tear. The piss smell of the funicular. The landscaping that's planted and looks great in year one, but is then abandoned to let the weeds take over. the low level bridge into the core covered in rust (great first impression to visitors/ investors, right?!)

Perhaps instead of building shiny new things, the city should focus on ongoing repair, maintenance and cleanliness.

How much tax dollars are wasted paying for various 'co-ordinator' positions for, you know, make up positions in the name of revitalization, that don't really do anything. How many 'revitalization reports' (see link above) have to be published to say the same thing over and over?!

Re-direct resources to get the job done. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. Th defenders of the current (and previous) council should demand better from their leaders, instead of always blaming the ucp. I despise the current prov. govt; they have CLEARLY continue to choose Calgary, but that doesn't absolve Edmonton city hall of its culpability in this matter.
Hear freakin' hear!

Bang f-in on!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:56 PM

^ 100% agree.

The mess that is DT is the responsibility of City Hall and its dysfunctional administration.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 6:49 PM

Driving south along Gateway there is quite a bit of garbage as well. You would figure that once the snow is gone they could get a couple of people on the night shift to pick it up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 7:30 PM
Community Guy

Walked quite a bit of Downtown this past weekend.

1. I know it is the time of year, but man o man there was A LOT of garbage. Nice to see Hire Good out there, but it was not having much of an impact.

2. I'd bet 30-50% of the way-finding signs are damaged, defaced or missing.

3. The number of broken windows continues to amaze me and is really sad to see.

4. TONS of people out and about and what appeared to be many 'visitors' to the area who were exploring and stumbling across new places including Bar Oro.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 11:25 PM
A Better Place

This is definitely the worst time of the year appearance-wise and the COE should recognize that and get people out cleaning, reparing, etc. post haste once the snow all melts.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:08 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
In downtown Vancouver and surrounding commercial areas, landlords' ops/maint teams are out first thing in the morning sweeping and removing litter, and hosing vomit and human waste away if necessary. It makes such a huge difference versus what I have seen in Edmonton.
There are only a 'handful' of owners that do this on a regular basis and these include (from my memory) Enbridge, HSBC, Bell Tower/MNP, Commerce and Manulife. Sometimes you see it in front of Melcor Buildings and I'm never really around Telus Plaza/ATB Place so I can't comment.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:44 PM
Community Guy

3 security guards stabbed at the Milner library.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/3-securi...rary-1.6815201

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 10:06 PM

^ Not if but when these incidents will happen.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
3 security guards stabbed at the Milner library.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/3-securi...rary-1.6815201
Airport-like security at the entrance would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:55 PM

Sounds like city Hall is getting enhanced security in its grand opening.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:38 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Sounds like city Hall is getting enhanced security in its grand opening.
Yup, was there yesterday and they have maybe 3 times the number of security guards and a metal detector at the front entrance.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
There are only a 'handful' of owners that do this on a regular basis and these include (from my memory) Enbridge, HSBC, Bell Tower/MNP, Commerce and Manulife. Sometimes you see it in front of Melcor Buildings and I'm never really around Telus Plaza/ATB Place so I can't comment.
EPCOR Tower should also be on your list of buildings that look after their public realm...

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Yup, was there yesterday and they have maybe 3 times the number of security guards and a metal detector at the front entrance.
I've said before and I'll say it again:
All it takes is just one jerk-off to ruin things for everybody else.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:15 PM
Community Guy

^bingo.

Sadly, it's also something you rarely go back from and only build off of.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 7:46 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^bingo.

Sadly, it's also something you rarely go back from and only build off of.
I'd be fine with airport security to get into Milner if it brings incidents down to near zero.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 1:20 AM
Community Guy

City Manager Andre Corbould leaving his position
March 22, 2024

Mayor Amarjeet Sohi, on behalf of City Council and City Manager Andre Corbould, have confirmed that Mr. Corbould will be leaving the City effective April 3, 2024. He joined the City in January 2021 after a distinguished career in senior roles with the Government of Alberta and the Canadian Armed Forces.

“Council appreciates Mr. Corbould’s work and dedication to Edmonton. He has led the City of Edmonton through a very long and difficult pandemic, supported the transition of this council, helped advance council’s work on anti-racism and reconciliation, helped support thousands of evacuees and provided exceptional leadership during the recent security incident at City Hall," said Mayor Sohi.

“This marks my fortieth year in public service and I am proud of the progress Council and City Administration have made in implementing The City Plan, recovering from the pandemic and managing community growth," said Corbould. "I have every confidence that the Executive Leadership Team and 11,000 staff right across the organization are well positioned to carry the City forward even further.”

Eddie Robar has been appointed Acting City Manager until an Interim City Manager is formally appointed at the next City Council meeting on April 3, 2024. Formal recruitment will follow.

As this deals with a staffing matter, no additional comment will be made.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 12:59 PM
Change is good

Later UCP stooge!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

Province-considers-bombshell-move-to-audit-and-stabilize-the-city-of-edmonton

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...ment-officials

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 4:55 PM

^

About time.

City Hall is a hot mess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton