HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Disgusting. Parcel B going from bad to worse.
What a waste.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Disgusting. Parcel B going from bad to worse.
Seriously what a joke. Way to drop the ball HARD developers.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 8:08 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 5:14 AM
Closed account

New Grove Plaza fountain being tested with new LED lighting:

https://youtu.be/u4ytF_Dxkg8

Boise evening glow

Last edited by Architecture Buff; May 1, 2017 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Boise evening glow
Beautiful AB, and Sawtooth too. Looking forward to Watercooler getting it's 'skin' --- and that shot of the sunset over JUMP/Simplot, that project looks so cool in it's realized form. Can't wait to wander through it's plazas and segment of the Pioneer path.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:22 PM

Great photos as is to be expected from you. I really enjoy how you have been artfully chronicling the construction of the Marriott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:42 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/at-...nt?oid=4939555

At Boise State Fine Arts Center Groundbreaking, A Promise of Huge 'Cultural Thoroughfare'

Quote:
Boise State University President Dr. Bob Kustra had two criteria for the design of the new center for fine arts: It must look different from every other building on campus and "think Guggenheim."

Quote:
In one of the wings of the new building will be The World Museum: an interactive virtual reality tour of world-class museums like the Louvre in Paris; the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.; and the Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain. For Associate Professor Anthony Ellertson, who directs the Games, Interactive Media and Mobile Technology program, The World Museum is another part of the "cultural thoroughfare."

"By providing a space like this, we can build a new grammar of these [virtual reality] experiences," he said. "Boise should be a national hub for this technology."

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:12 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

May 1st

BOI
Control Tower
295 feet high
The Northwest's tallest airport control tower?
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 3:14 AM

Afton Phase II design review documents have been submitted: http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...05101449189010

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 2:26 PM

Wow... what a disappointing first floor... No retail, no connection to the urban environment, nothing... At least put a residential amenity, at least it would be some activity.

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Wow... what a disappointing first floor... No retail, no connection to the urban environment, nothing... At least put a residential amenity, at least it would be some activity.
Yeah... the 9th & River corner is totally bizarre .... the 1st phase of the Afton is probably my favorite current project in town. It's shame they didn't just continue in a similar vein and wrap the sidewalk life around to that devoid corner intersection

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 7:54 PM

Isn't there supposedly going to be some retail like a coffee shop on the first floor(s) in the alley between the two buildings? I hope so...

Old Posted May 11, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Isn't there supposedly going to be some retail like a coffee shop on the first floor(s) in the alley between the two buildings? I hope so...
In the approved first floor plan of Phase 1, they had three retail spaces in phase 1, plus one planned for phase 2. The alley was lined with live/work in both phases.

Phase 2 shows no retail or live/work units on the ground floor. It looks like they located all of their parking on the first level to cut expenses of having to do a 2nd floor parking deck. But in the process, the retail space got cut to make the parking work.
Looking at the new site plan, it looks like in Phase 1 the retail along 8th street and the retail on the alley corner got turned into live/work units. The live/work units in the alley also changed and are now town homes. On the leasing website they are shown town homes. https://theafton.com/live-here/
Lots of changes happened between permitting and construction.

Phase 1 DR drawings:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH14-00262

Phase 2 DR drawings:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH17-00213

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:29 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

TGIF|May 12|Green Rain

The Belgravia is getting botoxed

Someone help me here, what is the official name of this building? It has been receiving a new paint job this week.
Bike Lane Green

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:05 PM

Great photos, Sawtooth. Boise's skyline is filling in fast! I'll be the first to admit, I was worried about how Simplot's HQ would turn out, but it turned out great. Also, the Belgravia is one of my favorite buildings in Boise.

The Afton II looks like a turd. I encourage all of you to attend the design review and let your input be heard. That parcel is way too important to allow at-grade parking.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Someone help me here, what is the official name of this building? It has been receiving a new paint job this week. [/B] Bike Lane Green
Nice shots Sawtooth. I'd be curious to know that buildings name too. Digging the color, brings out the Deco accents nicely too!

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
I encourage all of you to attend the design review and let your input be heard. That parcel is way too important to allow at-grade parking.
For all interested, the Afton Phase II is on the Wednesday, 6pm June 14th Design Review agenda. An added attraction will be the first item up for review, our new "bakery" at Myrtle on 11th, i.e. the drive-thru Panera Bread.

http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...15&Inline=True

Has anyone here attended these before? I've been wanting to get more involved with design issues somehow. With the ACHD issues regarding land use/transit it's as though we could use a "citizens for urban design" advocacy group to push this stuff in the long term. Feel free to message off-board, it's a bit of a digression from our usual fun with pictures of our cool projects here.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 7:55 PM

It's too bad the backside of the Aspen doesn't look like the front. Oh, and it's the backside that gets photographed the most.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
For all interested, the Afton Phase II is on the Wednesday, 6pm June 14th Design Review agenda. An added attraction will be the first item up for review, our new "bakery" at Myrtle on 11th, i.e. the drive-thru Panera Bread.

http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...15&Inline=True

Has anyone here attended these before? I've been wanting to get more involved with design issues somehow. With the ACHD issues regarding land use/transit it's as though we could use a "citizens for urban design" advocacy group to push this stuff in the long term. Feel free to message off-board, it's a bit of a digression from our usual fun with pictures of our cool projects here.
Could the lack of retail in the phase 2 plans be due to the developers just waiting until a tenant has been secured, and then building out the space to suit them? As it sits now it doesn't make any sense to elevate the building with nothing underneath it.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:08 PM

I wonder if they are having difficulties filling the retail space on 8th street and decided that there isn't any demand for walk-up retail.

http://tokcommercial.com/propertyfly...operty=2280434

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West