HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:33 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Oh boy, I've always wanted to shop at tenant.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 2:12 PM
Chairman

Quote:
You have two to choose from. One is inside the mall while the other is outside.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 6:30 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
I too am excited. What more could we all want than two Tenant stores and five dollars stores, all in the same mall. SWEET!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I too am excited. What more could we all want than two Tenant stores and five dollars stores, all in the same mall. SWEET!
Do they sell thingamjigs, whatchamacallits and stuff at Tenant? If so, I'm there!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofIKid View Post
I don't know how I feel about the interior looking like a faux main street. I think it will look like the old 49th Street Galleria
All malls are designed to look like a main street. Even individual stores design their "storefronts" to look like some kind of facade. Valley Fair's interior "improvements" are pretty cheap and cheesy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
All malls are designed to look like a main street. Even individual stores design their "storefronts" to look like some kind of facade. Valley Fair's interior "improvements" are pretty cheap and cheesy.
I have to agree with the cheap and cheesiness. Now that we have close to if not the real thing coming downtown, it just looks tacky by comparison. I have to admit, I thought the Jordan Commons was cool when it opened, but every time I've been there recently I've just thought the faux facades looked nasty.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 2:03 AM

I've never quite understood the allure that many people feel when thinking that Disneyesque, downsized scale is somehow attractive or charming. Maybe it's kind of a woman craftsy, cutesie thing or something. I just have never agreed with it, but I'm sure their must be a big trendy segment of the populace that finds it somehow charming. Since it's mostly women who shop in these places, I'm thinking the designs are for them.

I do think the interior will be something a bit more attractive than the interior of the Jordon Commons, or at least I would certainly hope so. Then again, The Jordon Commons is simply a theatre arcade on the inside of it's main building

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 7:33 AM
BANNED

SLCC campus in Herriman?
Higher ed » State would need to buy part of a 90-acre tract near new schools
By Brian Maffly
The Salt Lake Tribune

A Herriman landowner's proposed gift could lay the foundation for a future southwest valley campus of Salt Lake Community College, but the deal would still require a $20 million investment from the state.
Expanding into the valley's south end is part of the college's long-term strategic plan, which envisions a chain of campuses the length of the county.
"We could not be happier with the location of a campus for Salt Lake Community College," said Nicole Martin, Herriman's economic development director. "We are perfectly situated to support the needs of the students coming to this new campus."
The proposed site ties into transportation lines, commercial and residential developments and proposed public school sites, she said.
Few communities have grown as fast as Herriman, and a college campus would be a crowning amenity for a city that had fewer than 800 residents when it incorporated 10 years ago. It is now home to 21,000 people, with more development on the way.
A year ago, the property owner, whom officials declined to identify out of deference to the donor's wishes, signaled a willingness to give part of a 90-acre tract for a college campus.
The site is adjacent to the Mountain View Corridor, around 5400 West and 12000 South on the border with South Jordan. It is next to the new Herriman High School, which opens this fall, and sites of future elementary and middle schools.
"You can see a tremendous educational hub in Herriman city," said state Rep. Carl Wimmer, who represents Herriman and surrounding communities. "It's a wonderful opportunity when you have someone willing to donate so much land. Not only does it make for exciting possibilities, it makes for a fiscally responsible option."
A proposed TRAX line and stop location also abut the property, while high-density apartment complexes have gone up nearby.
In recent weeks, college and city officials, state representatives and developers reached an agreement with the landowner to transfer the land. Under the proposed deal, the state would purchase two-thirds of the tract and the rest would be donated, according to Mason Bishop, SLCC's vice president for institutional advancement.
Like Herriman, SLCC is experiencing rapid growth, now boasting the state's largest undergraduate population. Last fall its student body enrollment reached nearly 34,000; students attend classes at 14 locations scattered around the county.
The school has become one of the nation's largest comprehensive community colleges, currently ranked No. 4 in the production of associate degrees.
The school has major campuses in Salt Lake City and Taylorsville and is developing a Jordan health-science campus at 9000 S. Bangerter Highway. The Herriman campus could be home to the college's green technology programs, with construction beginning in two or three years if the Legislature authorizes the land deal this year, Bishop said.
Bishop called the proposed campus a "win-win for everybody," but the rub will be securing taxpayer money to finance the deal, given challenging economic times and budget constraints.
"Tough decisions have to made," Wimmer said. "Will it be difficult to come up with $20 million? I believe so, but we should not give up on the idea."
bmaffly@sltrib.com

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14169409

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 11:57 AM

Forecaster: Utah population spike over next 20 years will create demand for housing

Real estate » Realtors told that downturn might have bottomed out...

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_14167140

...By 2030, the state will be the fastest growing in the nation, pulling in another 1.5 million residents on top of the 2.8 million already here, and 700,000 new jobs will be created.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 3:21 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Forecaster: Utah population spike over next 20 years will create demand for housing

...By 2030, the state will be the fastest growing in the nation, pulling in another 1.5 million residents on top of the 2.8 million already here, and 700,000 new jobs will be created.

If this occurs now is the time for cities and developers to shift gears and create a more viable model for new residential areas. They have the opportunity to densify(not a word, yet) their cores or create cores with smaller lots, multi-family housing and mixed use developments around transportation hubs. Those hubs could include transit hubs, as well as arterial and collector status road intersections with buses. Creating these hubs not only will allow for increased density in housing, but can reduce the number of vehicle miles traveled, by creating a gathering place for residents that live in the vicinity. I am not promoting high rise living up and down the Wasatch Front and Back, I am simply stating that a more traditional grid, smaller lot neighborhoods with density at certain points needs to be established.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 4:06 PM
BANNED

Bill aims to protect Utah's farmlands
Politics » Taxes from developers may keep more acres in production.
By Dawn House
The Salt Lake Tribune

Salt Lake City - Commissioner of agriculture... (Francisco Kjolseth / The Salt Lake Tribune )

A Cache County legislator looks to boost chronically underfunded programs to preserve Utah's vanishing farmlands.
Rep. Jack Draxler, R-North Logan, said no new taxes would be required to pay landowners who are willing to sell development rights so their lands can be kept in production. Under the voluntary program, money to buy these conservation easements would be paid through existing "rollback" taxes, which are collected when farmland is taken out of production for development.
Draxler made the announcement Monday in Salt Lake City during a conference that drew nearly 100 farmers, elected officials and agricultural support groups.
"Preserving agricultural lands has taken a backseat to development for as long as anyone can remember," said Leonard Blackham, Commissioner of the Utah Department of Agriculture and Food. "This bill is about protecting our food supply. We've lost so much farmland that this is a luxury we can no longer afford."
Utah has lost 500,000 acres of productive agricultural lands this decade alone, Blackham said. The loss represents acreage on which farmers could have grown "wheat for several hundred million loaves of bread or several billion apples," he said.
During the past 40 years, Utah has lost farmlands that equal the size of Delaware and Rhode Island combined,
according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, one of the conference sponsors.
For too long, agricultural lands have been considered "the lowest common denominator" in local economies, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell told the gathering. Perhaps Americans could import all their food if the world "were free of political turmoil and war, but sadly this is not so," he said. "We've got to keep a handle on our own food supply..."

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_14169403

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 5:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

With the kind of growth it's time for city leaders and developers to start developing smart. More Urban Centers, less subdivisions.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 7:06 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

With the kind of growth it's time for city leaders and developers to start developing smart. More Urban Centers, less subdivisions.

AGREED AGREED AGREED. I hope your municipal leaders will look in terms of long term planning as compared to "oh oh tax dollars; build now!"

Like I have said before short term solutions lead to higher cost long term solutions.

Though my congrads goes to Utah. With population growth as such, it says a lot of good. I have been impressed with Utah since the 2002 Winter Olympics.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 8:08 PM

If we can get the Agriculture bill to pass and cities start thinking more then 2 years in the future, I can see an increase in densification happening across the Wasatch Front. Possibly a growing throught about what each city wants to be and a general focus on SLC being the main business center.

With just the agricultural bill, I would expect that we will see further commercial development and residential development in SLC as opposed to the suburbs.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 6:52 PM
BANNED

I think it would be nice if South Salt Lake/Millcreek would create some sort of master plan for a town center. Something like this:

Before:

After:

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
Chairman

What is the "yellow" suppose to represent?

-sb

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 3:51 AM

Sandy gives regrets to Broadway, seeks bigger fish
Development » Abandons plan for big theater, concentrates on new aquarium.

By Rosemary Winters

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/14/2010 05:44:52 PM MST

"Sandy » A new script is taking shape for a block west of Sandy City Hall. Now, a possible "world-class" aquarium is elbowing aside a mega-theater for center stage.

Last fall, Sandy bought eight of the 11 acres that were slated to give rise to The Proscenium, a $500 million, mixed-use development plotted near 10000 South east off Interstate 15. The property had gone into foreclosure, and the lead developer had dropped out.

For now, Sandy has given up its dream of being the first community in Utah with a Broadway-style playhouse. (Salt Lake City still is planning one on Main Street.)

"The Proscenium needs a new name, because it's not going to be a theater," Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said Thursday during his annual State of the City address.

Instead, the mayor said, the city has been talking to The Living Planet Aquarium about building the nonprofit attraction a permanent home -- a 120,000-square-foot facility on the same spot that was slated for a Broadway stage. (Initially, about half that building shell would be used.) The aquarium has staged preview exhibits in temporary spaces since 2004: first at The Gateway in Salt Lake City and, since 2006, in Sandy at 725 E. 10600 South.
"

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14194323

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 6:54 AM
BANNED

Perhaps PRI can build the Aquarium on their newly purchased downtown parking lot.

Or

Last edited by urbanboy; Jan 15, 2010 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 7:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
What is the "yellow" suppose to represent?
Pedestrian only

Old Posted Jan 15, 2010, 5:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Sandy gives regrets to Broadway, seeks bigger fish
Development » Abandons plan for big theater, concentrates on new aquarium.

By Rosemary Winters

The Salt Lake Tribune
Updated: 01/14/2010 05:44:52 PM MST

"Sandy » A new script is taking shape for a block west of Sandy City Hall. Now, a possible "world-class" aquarium is elbowing aside a mega-theater for center stage.

Last fall, Sandy bought eight of the 11 acres that were slated to give rise to The Proscenium, a $500 million, mixed-use development plotted near 10000 South east off Interstate 15. The property had gone into foreclosure, and the lead developer had dropped out.

For now, Sandy has given up its dream of being the first community in Utah with a Broadway-style playhouse. (Salt Lake City still is planning one on Main Street.)

"The Proscenium needs a new name, because it's not going to be a theater," Sandy Mayor Tom Dolan said Thursday during his annual State of the City address.

Instead, the mayor said, the city has been talking to The Living Planet Aquarium about building the nonprofit attraction a permanent home -- a 120,000-square-foot facility on the same spot that was slated for a Broadway stage. (Initially, about half that building shell would be used.) The aquarium has staged preview exhibits in temporary spaces since 2004: first at The Gateway in Salt Lake City and, since 2006, in Sandy at 725 E. 10600 South.
"

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14194323

I think that's a great idea. Kind of a win-win for both Sandy and Salt Lake City. Sandy gets the Aquarium as their center piece of their mix-use project and Salt Lake City gets the Broadway Theater on Main Street.

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West