HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

I know I have posted this on here before, but I think this stretch of buildings in Oslo would be perfect for south Main St. All in the 10 - 20 storey range.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:38 PM
Formerly rypinion

... and with bike lanes/wide sidewalk on the east side along with lots of trees. South Main could look so good and be much more friendly at ground level.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 3:04 PM

That would be amazing Biff. Hopefully when the Winnipeg hotel replacement starts next year that will inspire some nice developments.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 3:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Just for comparison sake, that stretch in Oslo is .38km. In Winnipeg the stretch from Century Plaza south to Union Station is .34km.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 3:15 PM

It would be amazing to have a strip of buildings lining south Main Street like that.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know I have posted this on here before, but I think this stretch of buildings in Oslo would be perfect for south Main St. All in the 10 - 20 storey range.

I concur. Something similar would be great.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 4:42 PM

Winnipeg Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That would be amazing Biff. Hopefully when the Winnipeg hotel replacement starts next year that will inspire some nice developments.
I have been waiting to hear about this. I know The Pollards said the hotel might be too far gone to repair & reno.
So, is it a façade and new build or what have you heard?

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I have been waiting to hear about this. I know The Pollards said the hotel might be too far gone to repair & reno.
So, is it a façade and new build or what have you heard?
I can't say as it's not public. Construction next year though.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 5:54 PM

The block A,B,C thing is dumb... Sure at the forks proper do something different. Okay. But not Main St. Make them mid rise traditional buildings.

Main St as a liner park is also pretty ambitious. With all the traffic coming down there.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The block A,B,C thing is dumb... Sure at the forks proper do something different. Okay. But not Main St. Make them mid rise traditional buildings.

Main St as a liner park is also pretty ambitious. With all the traffic coming down there.
Traffic calming could solve that if we had proper transit
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:35 PM

There's a whole ton of stuff that could be looked at. The overarching issue is that Main St. is the main artery for vehicles in the downtown. Portage being the other. Most traffic travels these routes. There will be a transit route on the east curb lane at some point as well.

It just doesn't scream park to me. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:41 PM

Park could literally just mean more trees, which is fine. With the RT line going on one side, it's not going to be a symmetrical and the entire ROW is going to need to be redone. There should be lots of room to expand the west sidewalk for example and add a 2-way bike lane and some trees. I'd bet the centre median maybe would be eliminated to make wider sidewalks etc.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:41 PM

I actually like what I'm seeing along Main Street. Certainly in it's current form, Main St is about as wide, ugly and unpleasant as Canadian urban streets come. But with slightly wider sidewalks, trees protecting the sidewalk from the road, and importantly, some height along Main Street would make a big difference in my opinion. Right now, it feels so windswept and beige. But buildings and tree's could help close it in a bit.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 6:46 PM

To me a park means a place to relax. Maybe not necessarily with grass. But benches, tress, etc. Not just a wide sidewalk. Maybe that's what a linear park is. Just a wide sidewalk? I don't really know.

In general when I hear the word park. I think of grass and trees and birds chirping. Not buses.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
To me a park means a place to relax. Maybe not necessarily with grass. But benches, tress, etc. Not just a wide sidewalk. Maybe that's what a linear park is. Just a wide sidewalk? I don't really know.

In general when I hear the word park. I think of grass and trees and birds chirping. Not buses.
Yeah, I'm kinda interpreting "linear parkway" as just a fancy way of saying "nice-looking street with trees"...

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I concur. Something similar would be great.
Agree.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:

It’s lovely, but what have you been smoking?

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 5:43 AM

Quote:

It's quite a sight how much that area has changed since that photo was taken. Mega-land reclamation and massive new buildings in the foreground. It's night and day from about 15 years ago when that area had a massive freeway running through it and the beautiful opera house was the only noteworthy building in that locale.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
It's quite a sight how much that area has changed since that photo was taken. Mega-land reclamation and massive new buildings in the foreground. It's night and day from about 15 years ago when that area had a massive freeway running through it and the beautiful opera house was the only noteworthy building in that locale.
Your post made me curious so I had a look at the buildings from the other side... hot damn, let's make Main Street look like this!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/1AxmHDf4JLMMoPP76

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 12:36 PM

^That's exactly what I mean when I talk about tramways. That's how Portage, Main, and Notre Dame should look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan