HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
99.6% survivable. The hysteria needs to stop. Now.
My God, you have way higher odds of being taken out by a crazy driver on the highway, or some other freak accident that *you have no control over*.

Those who have a different risk-profile, mask up (a *real* mask, like I said earlier not just some piece of tshirt cloth or $0.50 Chinese garbage flap), and take basic necessary precautions like you would normally do for anything else.

The rest of us *want* to get back to work, and back to LIFE! Let us!

Stop wrecking the economy (and more importantly, the DOLLAR. We lose world reserve currency status, we are all f****d. Game over at that point) for politically opportunistic reasons masquerading as "abundance of caution".

If you want the economy to return to normal then everyone needs to wear a mask. It's not rocket science.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
If you want the economy to return to normal then everyone needs to wear a mask. It's not rocket science.
If you want everyone to wear a mask, then the arbitrary capacity and illogical restrictions need to be lifted on all businesses.
Having both is just going to cripple those that actually survived the forced shutdown. That is also not rocket science.

Small businesses already have enough challenges generating profit without artificial restrictions and unnecessary burdens thrust upon them.

If they choose to enact such things on their own, so be it. It should be their choice, not the government's.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 12:34 AM

They just stopped making the drive through bank employees at my wife's bank wear masks because they are not in direct contact with customers like in the lobby. My wife just got off the phone with her boss. The person who usually works next to my wife was diagnosed with the Covid19 virus today. Good timing with the don't need a mask decision. Now my wife and eventually myself are in danger of getting this damn thing. Just became a little more real for me. I wear a mask all day at work and when in public areas. Watch me get sick from exposure from my home, and right before I retire. Just wear the damn masks and take this fuckin thing seriously everyone....please.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 1:57 AM

I've been posting pretty much every project update on the Austin subforum to the main forum's individual threads this week. For the amount of construction going on around here, the amount of posts in the main forum was tiny. Even Erie, PA was getting more focus. I've made sure to credit the original posters as well.

I've also been resizing a lot of images posted here recently, because it seems like every website uses huge pictures nowadays. School's out, I have nothing better to do.

If anyone here has images of Austin Proper, UT System Headquarters, Skyhouse, The Castilian, or Shoal Creek Walk that they wouldn't mind adding to Wikimedia Commons, we could finally finish the images on the List of Tallest Buildings in Austin Wikipedia article.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2020, 10:21 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Humans infect each other....it's one of the ways we builds UP our immunity via antibodies. It's also one of the things that kills us. All the more reason to advocate taking care of the vessel you live in, and not expecting a Dr, or the Gov, or a pill to take care of you. Take care of yourself the best you can, lower your BMI, get sunshine, love others, lift weights, fast, read, garden, exercise vigorously.....stop with the "take it easy" bullshit. Our bodies are built for rigor, not atrophy. Use it or lose it. Americans eat like shit and lay around too much. Only 12% of Americans are "metabolically healthy", and can only blame themselves. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1128115045.htm
The gov doesn't make people order a giant coke instead of water. We make excuses, "it's not your fault". Why? There is no money in eating less, walking, running, exercise. Money is made in disease, pills, indulgence.
You sound like a guy I sometimes listen to on Youtube. While I have not been mentally disciplined enough in my life to follow the advice above, I know it's all true. There are no real excuses for my being overweight. I learned bad habits as a child from those around me, and have been obese since before Kindergarten. But I've had years to break those habits. My own choices got me to where I am.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:04 AM

I'm curious to see if more people are willing to be in the medical field with what's going on now.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 7:39 AM

All I know is when something even only slightly closer to what the Plague did to Europe centuries ago hits us, the U.S. is completely f'ed.

Now we know that people will care more about the optics and tout the 90% survival rate (or 85%, or 70%, etc.) if it might affect the election outcome they want.

I've already had 4 family members die from the disease. It doesn't matter if you're healthy. Wear a damn mask, it's not for you.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:10 AM

That is awful. You have my condolences.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
All I know is when something even only slightly closer to what the Plague did to Europe centuries ago hits us, the U.S. is completely f'ed.

Now we know that people will care more about the optics and tout the 90% survival rate (or 85%, or 70%, etc.) if it might affect the election outcome they want.

I've already had 4 family members die from the disease. It doesn't matter if you're healthy. Wear a damn mask, it's not for you.
Sorry for your losses. That's really sad, and you just echoed my thought exactly.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:

Seconded.

One in my extended family, and he lived in a rural area.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 6:31 PM

Quote:

My condolences.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:

survival rate is over 99%

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
survival rate is over 99%
So you're saying it's 10x more lethal than the flu.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
So you're saying it's 10x more lethal than the flu.
If you're over 70 it's pretty bad. If you're not then it's 10x less lethal than the flu.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 5:59 PM

We don't know what the long-term consequences of this virus are. What if people who recover lose the ability to smell or taste anything? That is huge decrease in their quality of life. That should scare anyone. What if there is infertility or lung scaring that reduces one's ability to play sports or exercise?

It's foolish to do little to nothing to stop a virus we know very little about except that it's highly contagious and very deadly to people over 50 and with commodities like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease which are some of the most common chronic diseases in America. People need to take this virus seriously. Italy, France, Spain, and the UK were hammered but at least they took the necessary steps to stop the spread of the virus and now they're seeing daily new cases fall.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
We don't know what the long-term consequences of this virus are. What if people who recover lose the ability to smell or taste anything? That is huge decrease in their quality of life. That should scare anyone. What if there is infertility or lung scaring that reduces one's ability to play sports or exercise?

It's foolish to do little to nothing to stop a virus we know very little about except that it's highly contagious and very deadly to people over 50 and with commodities like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease which are some of the most common chronic diseases in America. People need to take this virus seriously. Italy, France, Spain, and the UK were hammered but at least they took the necessary steps to stop the spread of the virus and now they're seeing daily new cases fall.
Correct we have to assume worst case scenario and conduct business as such. Mask wearing is our #1 weapon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Correct we have to assume worst case scenario and conduct business as such. Mask wearing is our #1 weapon.
improving our immune system is #2.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 8:23 PM
Resident Moron

Sorry, but I find it fucking hilarious that this thread has a "no politics" tag and someone is allowed to post psuedo-scientific drivel that directly contradicts the consensus of the scientific community on this subject.

I'm a former New Yorker with a lot of friends and family there and "heard immunity" is a lot of people dying. Wear a mask in public and stop being a baby about it.

In any event, a bunch of bars in Austin lost their liquor license over not enforcing covid-19 rules in Texas, and shockingly all 3 are owned by known racists (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Unbarlievable and Bufords)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:04 PM

FWIW, wearing a mask should be as apolitical as wearing a seat belt. Just do it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 12:48 AM

1. viruses are not political
2. wearing a mask inhibits the spread of the virus, clearly....put it on
3. back the fuck away from people...like, way more than 6 feet
4. feel like shit? stay home....in your room for 2 weeks
5. don't visit the elderly, call them...on a "telephone"
6. get your vitamin d, preferably via the sun
7. eat less
8. walk/run/bike/swim more.....these are mostly free.
9. read....history is good, gives you perspective
10. make a plan....this shit ain't away soon, Uncle Sam will save some corporations, but not you, what's your plan?
11. delete social media
12. cancel cable news
13. grow something and eat it
14. cook some new food
15. meditate....you can't control others, you never will....meditation helps
16. mend fences
17. get laid
18. contemplate your mortality, write a living will
19. befriend someone completely different than you....even....OMG...ideologically
20. contemplate your family's mortality
21. stop making shitty excuses for shitty decisions.....get on with it
22....I've got more...... Like start a podcast, you chatting with your friends, parents, kids, neighbors....about....whatever.....who cares? Those stories will be appreciated by your family for eternity, and podcasts are insanely easy to do. Spoken word, son.

do all this while listening to the Ramones, the Clash, Aretha, and Coltrane as much as possible.

IF WE WASTE THIS "TIME OFF" AND NOT GET OUR PERSONAL SHIT TOGETHER, WHO'S FAULT IS THAT? I BLAME MYSELF, AND HAVE TAKEN THIS TIME TO SPEND MORE TIME WITH MY KIDS, EVALUATING MY LIFE CHOICES, AND TIGHTENING UP MY ACT. DON'T LOOK TO YOUR GOV LEADERS TO HELP YOU, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

BITCHING IS A FOOLS ERRAND

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin