HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I take your point, but it's kind of weird that a building that big would sit vacant for months, possibly years until the parking garage is built.
Imperial does not have the greatest reputation. Lots of ambition but not a lot of experience.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
That's a fantastic idea, and definitely possible. St. Vital Centre has a TV screen with live bus info.

I have a bad feeling about the viability of that location. Even though it's so close to the village, it's a complete no-man's-land, sandwiched between Confusion Corner and the Osborne underpass, neither of which is a pleasant place to stroll through.
If they were smart, they'd try and directly target the cycling community. With them being located along a key cycling corridor once the AT connection is complete, it'd be a great spot. Can stop in during morning rush hour for a quick espresso or snack, or on your way home if they extend their hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Pembina tunnel would take care of that Imagine a nice urban intersection between Osborne and Corydon with a dense cluster of development near the station. Now that would be something.
Would be awesome.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 10:13 PM

Stella's Osborne Village is now only open for breakfast and lunch.

Their new hours are 8-3.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:44 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Why is that? Is there a safety issue?

Used to go to that one in the 2000s, but the chair set up makes it feel too claustrophobic for me.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Why is that? Is there a safety issue?

Used to go to that one in the 2000s, but the chair set up makes it feel too claustrophobic for me.
pick your favorite explanation:

- harassment scandal/employees unionized
- neighbourhood retail died off/location across from abandoned motel
- stellas expansion cannibalizing own customer base
- general management inability

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:12 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
pick your favorite explanation:

- harassment scandal/employees unionized
- neighbourhood retail died off/location across from abandoned motel
- stellas expansion cannibalizing own customer base
- general management inability

E: all of the above
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:15 AM

All the Stella's are still packed, people forget quickly – and also realized it was blown out of proportion.

I'm not overly surprised, that one has never been busy in the evening, while all the others are. I'd imagine the main reason for that is that the Osborne one has a terrible atmosphere – fine enough for a quick lunch, but really bad for dinner. Feels like eating in a school hallway, and smells like the nail salon next door.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:51 AM

^ The atmosphere in that location is like night and day compared with the newer ones, which generally feel more inviting in the evening. Feels like they've outgrown the current Osborne Village space.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:13 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The atmosphere in that location is like night and day compared with the newer ones, which generally feel more inviting in the evening. Feels like they've outgrown the current Osborne Village space.
Osborne used to be my regular but now it’s either Sherbrook or downtown. I’m sure the number of them in close proximity hurts Osborne.

Stella’s returned back to normal almost instantly after they unionized. It was literally the next day. Went from empty to lines out the door.

I stopped in at Poutine King on Osborne. Looked like a sports bar. It will be something else this time next year. Truly awful.

The half hearted attempt at being a sports bar was exemplified by a knock off Ladd jersey stapled to the wall. The only bit of jets memorabilia. The food was the same caliber.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:01 PM

I like the Stella’s at le centre culturel Franco-manitobain. Nice and spacious compared to the others, and there’s always something neat to see in the gallery there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I like the Stella’s at le centre culturel Franco-manitobain. Nice and spacious compared to the others, and there’s always something neat to see in the gallery there.
I've always been a fan of their outdoor patio there. The rooftop at Stella's Pembina is also quite nice.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:39 PM

The Osborne one is just a relic of their former identity, all the other ones feel completely different, more modern and open, and larger – I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them move that one. Frankly, they'd be a perfect fit to take over Basil's/Black Rabbit, as they don't even have a patio on Osborne. They'd be one of the few things that could actually use a restaurant that large properly.

Stella's CCFM is probably the best patio in Winnipeg and very under the radar.

Grant is currently under reno's to make it more accessible, expand the vestibule and waiting area, and I believe they're doing some patio and kitchen changes as well, as the current kitchen isn't large enough for them to use all the indoor and patio space.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I stopped in at Poutine King on Osborne. Looked like a sports bar. It will be something else this time next year. Truly awful.
That is more a front for a number of a local food trucks. Basically to run a food truck you need to have a permanent commercial kitchen with a fixed address. You can basically run unlimited trucks/trailers from one location with them all basically paying a kickback to the physical address. I doubt it changes over unless they find someplace even cheaper to back the mobile fleet.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
That is more a front for a number of a local food trucks. Basically to run a food truck you need to have a permanent commercial kitchen with a fixed address. You can basically run unlimited trucks/trailers from one location with them all basically paying a kickback to the physical address. I doubt it changes over unless they find someplace even cheaper to back the mobile fleet.
If that's the case, why wouldn't they just rent some cheap out of the way locale in an industrial area instead of a storefront in one of the highest profile retail areas?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
Imperial does not have the greatest reputation. Lots of ambition but not a lot of experience.

Weren't they called something else by haters in the 90s? Impark, called Pimpark?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Weren't they called something else by haters in the 90s? Impark, called Pimpark?
Are Imperial Properties and Impark (Imperial Parking) even related?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2019, 5:02 AM

^^^

I don't know. I thought you were talking about the parking company.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Are Imperial Properties and Impark (Imperial Parking) even related?
No. Impark is a national parking company.

Imperial is a mostly Prairies-focused (MB/SK) property management company. I believe they were involved with Sandhu on the Bag Factory project in the Exchange (the one with the tiny shrunken windows lol)

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 7:37 PM
What could go wrong?

The new Osborne Village Inn development looks amazing. Called "ZU", with two little dots over the U.

Huge change for that corner. Good looking building too. I'd take another ten of these around downtown.

I don't think I am allowed to show pictures so hopefully they will be out soon.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 7:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The new Osborne Village Inn development looks amazing. Called "ZU", with two little dots over the U.

Huge change for that corner. Good looking building too. I'd take another ten of these around downtown.

I don't think I am allowed to show pictures so hopefully they will be out soon.
Nice to hear. Does it look set to get going any time soon?
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan