HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
It looks like the southern part of the retail space that was formerly occupied by Starks Vacuums is vacant and ready for new tenants. It looks cleaned up, not preparing for demo. That's just from riding by.

The Union Arms was renting studios and 1 bdrms for $700-850. Way more affordable than most places in that area. None are available now. Perhaps the owners have ceased entering into new rentals, in preparation for demolition.
That is really sad to lose that piece of Old Portland. I am sure the building isn't in the best condition and the apartments weren't the best. I remember probably close to 10 years now at least going and looking in an apartment in that building with a friend of mine. It was such a sketchy building with some really sketchy tenants at that time. She barely felt safe looking at the studio apartment with me being with her. Needless to say, she ended up renting elsewhere, Northwest District if I remember correctly.

But I had always hoped that it would be one of those buildings you point to and say, I remember when that was pretty much it in this area of Burnside. Thankfully there are a few other buildings in the area that have seen renovation and will survive this new generation.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:08 PM

I'm even more bummed about loosing the spinning milk carton from the Sunshine dairy.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:25 AM

I have a question. What’s that structure close to I-5 that appears to be a car garage with glass windows higher up that also appear to be part of a garage? Why was this structure built?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPO View Post
I have a question. What’s that structure close to I-5 that appears to be a car garage with glass windows higher up that also appear to be part of a garage? Why was this structure built?
That's 7 SE stark, (forum post here) 4 stories of office over garage

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socinus View Post
That's 7 SE stark, (forum post here) 4 stories of office over garage
Oh! Nice, then. It just looked like more parking above it. I was confused.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 1:08 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I'll get the popcorn...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 9:58 PM

Modera Morrison Drawings [40 MB] and Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:57 PM

Mobility Hub moves forward. Positioned nicely to fit into the future Green Loop.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 4:27 PM

Rendering from WPA for the "Creative Blocks" at 1709 SE 3rd Ave:
Quote:
New creative office development to be developed in 2 phases, as two distinct buildings. "Phase 3" is the renovation of an existing bow-string truss warehouse with basement level parking. "Phase 4" is a 6+ story mass timber office building over two levels of underground parking. This EA is to discuss the land division.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 8:03 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for 236 SE Grand Ave:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a new 8 story office building. The building has 130,00 square feet of floor area with a height of 98'6". Below grade parking with 39 stalls is proposed with access from SE Pine Street. A loading space is proposed with access from SE Pine.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 10:38 PM

The building on the north side of Davis between MLK/Grand is U/C. Forget the name but it's the one that looked like an enthusiastic 4th grader (Ankrom?) designed it before the Design Commission bailed them out.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:48 PM

Drawings for 1010 SE Ash & Troy Laundry Building restoration/addition

Also, another Pre-Application Conference on Sandy at 1931-1939 NE Sandy Blvd (where Everyday Music and the Children's Theater currently is)..
Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss a 6-story mixed use building. 205 units are proposed and 2,330 square feet of retail space. Structured parking is accessed from NE 19th with 89 parking spaces on the ground level. Proposed height is 56' and there is a deck and dog park proposed on the roof.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 11:25 PM

Also, another Pre-Application Conference on Sandy at 1931-1939 NE Sandy Blvd (where Everyday Music and the Children's Theater currently is)..[/QUOTE]

56’ for a 6 story building seems off.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 6:30 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Drawings for 1010 SE Ash & Troy Laundry Building restoration/addition

This one is a strange proposal, the entire presentation of this new building is about its relationship to the Troy Building, but it just looks like a brick building next to an old building that happens to be on the same block. They aren't replicating any patterns or window size or any details of the Troy Building. Even the massing choices has no relation to the Troy Building. Whoever put this together did a horrible job at connecting this building to an old building and would have been better off just designing a generic brick building that fit within the zoneable height that is allowed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 3:00 AM

It's very hard to get a picture of this building because there's always a bridge or flags in the way.

Burnside Delta now named Nexus PDX or something.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:05 PM

1010 SE Ash

https://www.oregonlive.com/dining/20...-portland.html

Quote:
Major Chicago hotel developer sets sights on Southeast Portland
Updated 12:57 PM; Today 12:50 PM

By Michael Russell | The Oregonian/OregonLive
A major Chicago hotel developer has set his sights on a historic building in Southeast Portland’s Buckman neighborhood, The Oregonian/OregonLive.com has learned.

The 1913 Troy Laundry building, originally designed to house what was then Portland’s most high-tech laundry company, was purchased along with its surrounding block last spring for $15.65 million by Troy Laundry Property Holder LLC of Chicago. The LLC lists one member: Benjamin Weprin, CEO of AJ Capital Partners, a Chicago-based developer of hotels and other real estate.

Once dubbed a “brotelier” by the New York Times, Weprin got his start in hotels during the depths of the last recession, buying a stake in the luxury-minded Auberge Resorts in fall of 2008. More recently, the group has focused on its six-year-old chain of Graduate hotels, which now boast nearly 35 properties either opened or underway in various college towns, including Eugene. Under its “Past Portfolio” section, AJ Capital’s lists Soho House Chicago, a London-based “private members club” with 40 guest rooms and a rooftop terrace and swimming pool housed in a former Chicago belt factory.

Development plans for the Troy Laundry block’s northern section call for a six-story building, dubbed 1010 SE Ash, with underground parking, 7,000-square-feet of ground-level retail and 135 residential units. That lot, which oversees Southeast Sandy Boulevard, is currently home to an auto repair shop and an HVAC supply center. Those same plans call for the Troy Laundry building itself to remain largely unchanged, save for a rooftop addition -- including a terrace and pool -- with a new proposed use: A private members club.
...(continues)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:11 AM

The fencing was removed from around the low rise that is part of the Yard so I'm guessing it's done now. It turned out nicely.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:00 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post

The fencing was removed from around the low rise that is part of the Yard so I'm guessing it's done now. It turned out nicely.
Also worth noting is that the predominance of charcoal gray skins on Burnside Bridgehead buildings really makes the Fair-Haired Dumbbell stand out. Maybe that was the rebellious intent because of the current charcoal gray trend.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 7:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Also worth noting is that the predominance of charcoal gray skins on Burnside Bridgehead buildings really makes the Fair-Haired Dumbbell stand out. Maybe that was the rebellious intent because of the current charcoal gray trend.
I do like that about that area, the area would look cluttered if they all looked like the Dumbbell, but since they all have that dark color to each building, it makes the Dumbbell really stand out in a good way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland