HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:40 PM
Community Guy

DTES or the Downtown East Side (a well-known acronym) is east Vancouver.

Grain of salt for sure, pandemic times, but they filmed in our 'premier' CBD location and Government District and so those comments should be heard.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Honer shares a storey about YEGDT from the Last of Us filming...

'we're from L.A. and you've got a real problem here; we've never seen this crime and theft'

25:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1HnqQ_Y3ZQ
Cold, come on now.

That's a bunch of crap by these guys from LA...really?

You're smarter than this to post this.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:15 PM
Change is good

stay in canmore dude.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Cold, come on now.

Apparently not.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:38 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Cold, come on now.

Parts of LA are certainly in a much darker place, but they were filming in the heart of the CBD where one would expect far less issues in those spaces, but they simply were/are not particularly safe and have a lot of organized gang and petty theft taking place. Crimes of opportunity and vandalism were running ramped at the time and honestly things were out of control.

Keep in mind that it was also at peak of the worst of the worst and so I can actually agree with that comment from a theft perspective.

Certainly the magnitude and overall issue in LA is far worse, but it does not excuse the comment or call for change in Edmonton.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:46 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Parts of LA are certainly in a much darker place, but they were filming in the heart of the CBD where one would expect far less issues in those spaces, but they simply were/are not particularly safe and have a lot of organized gang and petty theft taking place. Crimes of opportunity and vandalism were running ramped at the time and honestly things were out of control.

Keep in mind that it was also at peak of the worst of the worst and so I can actually agree with that comment from a theft perspective.

Certainly the magnitude and overall issue in LA is far worse, but it does not excuse the comment or call for change in Edmonton.
yeah ok... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vLnXWZqv2I

Downtown LA and surrounding area is no different than Edmonton. LOL

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 8:10 PM
Community Guy

Keith Gerein: Departed senior manager wants Edmontonians to have confidence in city projects
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...-city-projects

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 10:42 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
yeah ok... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vLnXWZqv2I

Downtown LA and surrounding area is no different than Edmonton. LOL
That's wild, quite an achievement for those taggers to do that much graffiti lol

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Keith Gerein: Departed senior manager wants Edmontonians to have confidence in city projects
https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...-city-projects
I hope this fellow stays in Edmonton. We need competent people in the public and private sector here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 10:58 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I hope this fellow stays in Edmonton. We need competent people in the public and private sector here.
Agreed, he stepped up especially when COVID first hit and he was Acting City Manager.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 2:47 PM
Community Guy

That's fucked.

It's almost as if you put most service providers, injection sites and basically turn your back on a neighbourhood and expect something different to happen.

I feel horrible for those business owners, property owners and community.

City awards most of $1M Chinatown fund to security
March 7, 2024 · The Pulse
By Colin Gallant

The City of Edmonton awarded more than $700,000 of the $1 million Chinatown Recovery Fund to proposals focused on security rather than vibrancy, a report on the fund says.
https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...nd-to-security

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 5:58 PM
Community Guy

If you want to compare or learn more about what Downtown Calgary (report is hot off the press) is doing to address safety, vibrancy and positive change. Curious how it compares to Edmonton's.
https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...march-2024.pdf

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:53 PM
Change is good

Quote:
That's fucked.

It's almost as if you put most service providers, injection sites and basically turn your back on a neighbourhood and expect something different to happen.

I feel horrible for those business owners, property owners and community.

City awards most of $1M Chinatown fund to security
March 7, 2024 · The Pulse
By Colin Gallant

The City of Edmonton awarded more than $700,000 of the $1 million Chinatown Recovery Fund to proposals focused on security rather than vibrancy, a report on the fund says.
https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...nd-to-security
added quote from article so its not so alarmist/anti-city as canmoreRSX wants it to be.
Quote:
By far the largest expenditure is a multi-project fund administered by the business association: $622,000 for more than 120 businesses to upgrade security.
I'm okay with this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

lol....I hope you're kidding. This guy did absolutely nothing in his time with the COE. Do more research and investigations. I'm not going to do it for you. But then again, even when people these days see the cold hard facts...they will believe whatever their hearts want...No matter what the evidence says.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:49 PM
Community Guy

^I see what you did there;0

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
lol....I hope you're kidding. This guy did absolutely nothing in his time with the COE. Do more research and investigations. I'm not going to do it for you. But then again, even when people these days see the cold hard facts...they will believe whatever their hearts want...No matter what the evidence says.
I am only influenced by my professional meetings and interactions with him. I will leave it at that.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 2:06 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
you wouldn't know cold hard facts even after someone told you they were cold hard facts. You just believe whatever the conservative thinktanks propagandized you to think,

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:25 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:30 AM
Community Guy

As they say, “As goes your downtown, so goes your City.”

(https://www.edmonton.ca/sites/defaul...?cb=1662497825)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 3:19 PM

As someone who took a client DT recently, I was shocked at the lack of 'civic pride'. There was litter everywhere on 101st; it just looked filthy. (and that's not on the province, that's the city all the way)

I know it's always like this during the turnover season, but we must find a better way to present ourselves, otherwise the 'sadness' of our DT will continue.

Quite frankly, I don't see our DT becoming revitalized anytime soon.

When the arena was announced, I was hopeful. Now, I just see the core lurching along, as the suburbs continue to expand at an exponential rate.

Social issues aside, this falls on city hall. They love to 'dream big', but follow through on maintenance and cleanliness is an afterthought, as they move on to the next big project to hopefully spur the next chapter of 'revitalization' so they can pat themselves on the back.

Some examples: replacing brick pavers with asphalt, letting all the newly planted trees die and wither and NOT replacing them. Will the Jasper Ave fancy lights ever be complete? Garbage overflowing waste bins. Dirty entrances/ exists to LRT stations. Crumbling or broken concrete on new infrastructure that is never repaired. McDougall Hill road feels like you're driving over a country road, with all the wear and tear. The piss smell of the funicular. The landscaping that's planted and looks great in year one, but is then abandoned to let the weeds take over. the low level bridge into the core covered in rust (great first impression to visitors/ investors, right?!)

Perhaps instead of building shiny new things, the city should focus on ongoing repair, maintenance and cleanliness.

How much tax dollars are wasted paying for various 'co-ordinator' positions for, you know, make up positions in the name of revitalization, that don't really do anything. How many 'revitalization reports' (see link above) have to be published to say the same thing over and over?!

Re-direct resources to get the job done. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. Th defenders of the current (and previous) council should demand better from their leaders, instead of always blaming the ucp. I despise the current prov. govt; they have CLEARLY continue to choose Calgary, but that doesn't absolve Edmonton city hall of its culpability in this matter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton