HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:47 PM

New zoning report up. Something weird happened, because the city hasn't posted the August 10th report (which is was supposed to be the one where the new Squirrel Hill apartment building is having a hearing) but skipped ahead to August 17th.

Regardless, little of interest. The biggest items of note are a new two-story structure in the Hill District with a convenience store on the first floor and four residential units, and a temporary 337-space parking lot on the Almono site to serve the Mill Building. Nothing else worth mentioning.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 11:59 PM

As AFW523 mentioned, Oxford's Riverfront West broke ground in the Strip recently. It's basically a twin of Riverfront East seen here in the background.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 2:54 PM

Missing August 10th zoning report is now up. As expected, the new mixed-use building in Squirrel Hill is on the agenda.. They're asking for a lot of variances - hopefully NIMBYs don't get in the way. The new four-story office building at 3000 Smallman is also listed. Nothing else of interest.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:29 PM

First Avenue Lofts has opened up in the former Graphic Arts building:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...oric-district/

And this sounds fun:

Quote:
There’s even more exciting news coming soon: later this year a “well-known western PA brewery” will open a taproom with outdoor seating on the ground floor of the lofts.
The Distrikt Hotel is looking good (I heard they are taking bookings for August), the Holiday Inn is at least crawling along, and the former Art Institute building is going to become swank offices:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/ci...s/201707270049

It sorta looks like First Side is taking off, which would be cool. There is a lot that could be done to make it into another great area Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

Not news per se, but some interesting details on the North Point Breeze parcels the URA is marketing for development:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...-point-breeze/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:15 PM

These are a dime a dozen these days, but I found this travel article about Pittsburgh from an Irish writer a little more interesting that most:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifest...gh-455898.html

Among other things, it was interesting to see how she discussed the Americaness of Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:16 PM

Also for fun--perhaps the ultimate "why Millenials move to Pittsburgh" article:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/next-up/next-eric-lloyd/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 12:32 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Did you link to the right article? That one is about a Wexford native who lives out by Oakdale now. Nothing about moving to Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Did you link to the right article? That one is about a Wexford native who lives out by Oakdale now. Nothing about moving to Pittsburgh.
To tease out that thought a bit--I wasn't suggesting this was about a Millenial moving to the area, but their lifestyle is the kind of thing that Millenials elsewhere read about, and want to have.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:11 PM

Speaking of trendy stuff, East Liberty is developing quite the little hipsterish retail cluster:

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/fas...s/201708010012

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...-toretail.html

Last edited by BrianTH; Aug 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:33 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The ultimate City-Data.com debate about moving to Pittsburgh.

"I'm moving to the city from out of state? Tell me is Adams Twp a safe city neighborhood or will my children be murdered in the first week?"

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:37 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

That's a bit of an extreme example... Buuuut. Not by much. I checked out that site years ago and all I could find was people moving to Pittsburgh and debating whether they should move to Cranberry Twp or perhaps Southpointe or somewhere in that area. I took me about 5 minutes to be like, welp, there is no data about cities here.

In a small defense, I have read a few insightful threads by a few urban enthusiasts on that forum with nice pictures and comments. But they are the exception to the idiocy not the rule.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:49 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I will also note that I have an open mind and have been a Realtor and in the real estate industry for 13 years now. I don't feel superior about bashing uninformed people. I realize that many "tiger moms" and "helicopter parents" just won't consider sending their kids to city schools and want the best for their kids. But there is a fundamental problem when said parents have this 1970's attitude that cities are cesspools ala New York City in the 1970's with open air drug markets and hookers on every corner. This is outdated thinking and the farthest from the truth.
My parents who live in about a 400k house on 2.5 acres in Beaver County recently took a tour of Lawrenceville and my clueless mother literally said we should "lock the doors" as we drove through Lawrenceville saying it looked too "tight and scary" for her comfort level. I told her that many of the townhouses she was looking at cost $500-$700k+ and that they couldn't even afford to live in this neighbhorhood and that the homeowners were probably locking their doors as we slowly drove through their neighborhood even though we were in a Howard Hanna marked SUV.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:12 PM

There is a ton of data indicating that there was an urban crime wave which peaked in the early 1990s, and since then both the absolute amount of urban crime and the relative difference between urban and suburban/exurban/rural crime has come way down.

All this explains why different generations can have such different attitudes about these issues. For people who have come of age in the last 20 years or so, their experience has been of cities just getting nicer and nicer and safer and safer. Go back decades before that, and their experience was of cities getting rougher and more dangerous.

It would be nice, of course, if people in the latter categories could recognize how things have changed--and many of them do. But as is human nature, some people cling to the impressions they first formed, and refuse to update them in light of new information.

Oh well. There is no sign of this urban crime wave coming back, so this is likely just going to be a long transition period, meaning someday virtually everyone will have only lived through the good times for cities. And that world could be an interesting contrast on many dimensions to the world of today.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 6:14 PM

There's a new feature on Burgh's Eye View - a parcel viewer - which lets you quickly see all of the parcels in a neighborhood. Right now the key only shows you if properties are abated, city owned, or tax delinquent, but if you click on any property you can find more detail. It seems a bit zippier than the parcel viewer through the zoning GIS map. You can also export all of the parcel data for a neighborhood into a CSV file if you so desire.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:31 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
There is a ton of data indicating that there was an urban crime wave which peaked in the early 1990s, and since then both the absolute amount of urban crime and the relative difference between urban and suburban/exurban/rural crime has come way down.

All this explains why different generations can have such different attitudes about these issues. For people who have come of age in the last 20 years or so, their experience has been of cities just getting nicer and nicer and safer and safer. Go back decades before that, and their experience was of cities getting rougher and more dangerous.

It would be nice, of course, if people in the latter categories could recognize how things have changed--and many of them do. But as is human nature, some people cling to the impressions they first formed, and refuse to update them in light of new information.

Oh well. There is no sign of this urban crime wave coming back, so this is likely just going to be a long transition period, meaning someday virtually everyone will have only lived through the good times for cities. And that world could be an interesting contrast on many dimensions to the world of today.
I totally get that. If you know anything about the city of Aliquippa in Beaver County you will know that it is one of the worst, most dilapidated river towns in the whole metro on par with Clairton, Mckeesport, Duquesne, etc.

In the 1970's my parents bought there first "house", a $4,000 mobile home on Spring Street in downtown Aliquippa (https://goo.gl/maps/DBHA9s3AiqL2). They upgraded a few years later to a well built brick rowhoue on the same street. This was at the peak of industrial decline and they have nothing but bad impressions of cities and dying towns. They eventually bought a 2,500 sq ft new construction house about 10 miles from Aliquippa in the country, looking for peace and quiet and lack of crime. My dad laments paying $60,000 for a brand new tudor house saying that that was a ton of money in 1980. (Compare to a new house of the same caliber that would now cost $250,000.
I can understand that at the peak of crime and urban decay this must have felt like paradise to them. Who knows? If I saw everything they did I may have made the same decision at the time.
The ignorance is that they are still stuck in that mentality.
They do not adapt easily and all they were thinking of in their minds was the "The decline of Western Civilization". In reality they were experience the de-indstrialization trend of small towns and America as a whole.
The fact that cities are the dumping grounds of America's unwanted - Homelessness, mental illness, poverty, crime only serves to reinforce their views.

Starting in the 1980's the crack epidemic hit and crime spike from late 80's through the ealry 1980's. It decimated these towns that they had always loved. It's nearly impossible to convince them otherwise. My dad had to stop his truck one night after loading at a steel mill for a police chase and saw 2 people get shot to death by the police right in front of him at 2 in the morning in Steubenville. His own father carried a .25 cal hand gun for trips to NYC because of the well known crime there. One side of the gun is rusty from sitting in his back pocket for years while delivering to big cities. His advice was "If you were being robbed, shoot the person and throw the gun in the Hudson river and leave. These are real life stories that shaped their reality.
My other grandfather had 2 investment houses in downtown Aliquippa. He took immaculate care of them even supplying the houses fully furnished and he covered the utility bills. He said when the steel mills were booming nobody ever missed rent. But when the same people lost their jobs, he would come to the house to collect rent and on at least on occasion the renter was standing behind the door and cracked him over the head with a long metal pipe.
My parents now live in Hanover, Twp. Completely rural area. The Twp is over 40 sq miles, and they have no police twp. They contract out to other departments. There is virtually no police presence.
I tell this story not to bore you but because these reasons are the type of things that shapes peoples opinions and causes them to grow the ex-urbs in seek of a safer, quieter life. For better or worse. They thought they were making perfectly logical decisions.
As for me, their son. I am drawn to the city. The action and excitement is much more interesting to me and a big factor in that is that crime has dropped like a rock and housing prices and cost of living are very desirable to me.
For what it's worth; That is how some millenials make their way to the city.

Thanks for reading my story.

Last edited by Austinlee; Aug 2, 2017 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 7:46 PM

I saw a recent a Zoning Board notice at the old Isabela restaurant on Grandview. Application filed by new owner to renovate the restaurant but also seeking a variance for outdoor seating (yes!) as well as a loading zone (meh). I'm guessing both would make use of the crumbling fenced in space between it and Altius.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 10:47 PM

Although far less personal or interesting, I always like to reference the movies Escape from New York (1981) and Escape from L.A. (1996). The premise in these movies is crime has gotten so bad, the government has simply abandoned these cities and turned them into penal colonies.

That would not be a very credible premise these days, but they bracketed the era we are discussing, and that shows us how different the mindset was back then.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 11:12 PM
Northsider

I had a conversation with a classmate who is in her fifties last night and could not manage to convince her that the Northside wasn't a war zone even though I told here that I'd lived here for a decade and the worst thing that's happened was that someone stole some flowers from the garden.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 2:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
(1981)... (1996)
This is basically my wheelhouse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations