HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Yes he owns the Plaza Tower sadly, and the half finished/collapsing drive shack along the interstate. He thankfully just sold the Market St plant to the convention center developer doing the new convention neighborhood.
Good to know. I'm hoping the South Market District folks can get something done with that piece of land.

The River District looks like it's going to be somewhat like Atlantic Station here in Atlanta, but bigger and better (hopefully minus the shootings and aggressive homeless people that have plagued Midtown and Downtown Atlanta).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:08 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingque View Post
Good to know. I'm hoping the South Market District folks can get something done with that piece of land.

The River District looks like it's going to be somewhat like Atlantic Station here in Atlanta, but bigger and better (hopefully minus the shootings and aggressive homeless people that have plagued Midtown and Downtown Atlanta).
Sad to hear about all the crime , but unforunately it seems to be everywhere but you do bring up a great point. No amount of beautiful architecture and design will matter if it isnt safe and clean

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 2:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

I would say smaller than Atlantic Station, that development actually has highrises and a lot of office use whereas River District will just be a handful of mid and low rises, residential and shopping/dining/entertainment only.

A better ATL comparison is probably The Battery, but with the convention center instead of a ballpark. And even The Battery has some office, with one office tower inside of the development and several older ones across the street. NOLA just isn't really a corporate destination, so it doesn't need much new office space (hence why several office buildings in the CBD are totally vacant). Unfortunately that just means the River District will end up as another tourist playground. I can't see it being a very compelling addition to the city, the architecture will be bland banal crap with too much parking stuffed everywhere and the shopping/retail will be the same generic chains and faux-indie brunch places.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I would say smaller than Atlantic Station, that development actually has highrises and a lot of office use whereas River District will just be a handful of mid and low rises, residential and shopping/dining/entertainment only.

A better ATL comparison is probably The Battery, but with the convention center instead of a ballpark. And even The Battery has some office, with one office tower inside of the development and several older ones across the street. NOLA just isn't really a corporate destination, so it doesn't need much new office space (hence why several office buildings in the CBD are totally vacant). Unfortunately that just means the River District will end up as another tourist playground. I can't see it being a very compelling addition to the city, the architecture will be bland banal crap with too much parking stuffed everywhere and the shopping/retail will be the same generic chains and faux-indie brunch places.
I said it would be bigger, not taller. Majority of Atlantic Station is residential. And by your definition of bland, I'm guessing Atlantic Station is ultra bland lol. The Battery is cool, but I think they could've done much better.

And as long as it's new with more entertainment/food/outdoor options and isn't the French Quarter, I'm all for it. Not everybody wants to deal with all the touristy drunkenness of the FQ/Bourbon Street and I knowa bunch of people within my network can't wait for it to be done. It'll be a good change, based on what I've heard so far.

Last edited by kingque; Jul 20, 2022 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Sad to hear about all the crime , but unforunately it seems to be everywhere but you do bring up a great point. No amount of beautiful architecture and design will matter if it isnt safe and clean
Yeah, crime is everywhere now. Gotta know how to navigate around it, unfortunately.

Atlantic Station looks great. It's a nice, tucked away little neighborhood, but there have been some pretty ridiculous events going on over the last year or so. Guy baricaded himself in a highrise and began shooting towards police and people, injuring a few. Groups of kids fighting, jumping people and residents. Ridiculous. They had to force a curfew for kids under 18 just to try to curb the crime.

River District is going to have to make sure the security is on point because I can see some bad apples wanting to start migrating over there, since it'll be brand new.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:52 PM
-

Quote:
Yeah, crime is everywhere now. Gotta know how to navigate around it, unfortunately.

Atlantic Station looks great. It's a nice, tucked away little neighborhood, but there have been some pretty ridiculous events going on over the last year or so. Guy baricaded himself in a highrise and began shooting towards police and people, injuring a few. Groups of kids fighting, jumping people and residents. Ridiculous. They had to force a curfew for kids under 18 just to try to curb the crime.

River District is going to have to make sure the security is on point because I can see some bad apples wanting to start migrating over there, since it'll be brand new.
Absolutely ..but if done right it has the potential to attract people that just avoid downtown and the quarter now because of all the hassle. Believe it or not , not everyone including locals wants everything to look like the French Quarter. It would be nice if some people in this city would understand that. We areny a museum and shouldnt be. Also, its ok if some things look like they could be in other cities. Sure banal crap that exists in Houston or Dallas isnt the goal but we also dont have to go hardcored New Orleans style for everything. Faux New Orleans looks really stupid here especially because the authentic thing is here. Celebrating the river districts heritage as a predominantly industrial area is right on point. Neighborhoods id like to see as similar styles to this area would be Meatpacking/Soho Chelsea in NYC, Kings Street in Toronto, an similar areas

As long as they can deliver things like this :

And not like this:

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Absolutely ..but if done right it has the potential to attract people that just avoid downtown and the quarter now because of all the hassle. Believe it or not , not everyone including locals wants everything to look like the French Quarter. It would be nice if some people in this city would understand that. We areny a museum and shouldnt be. Also, its ok if some things look like they could be in other cities. Sure banal crap that exists in Houston or Dallas isnt the goal but we also dont have to go hardcored New Orleans style for everything. Faux New Orleans looks really stupid here especially because the authentic thing is here. Celebrating the river districts heritage as a predominantly industrial area is right on point. Neighborhoods id like to see as similar styles to this area would be Meatpacking/Soho Chelsea in NYC, Kings Street in Toronto, an similar areas

As long as they can deliver things like this :

And not like this:

Yes. That would be great. I'm extremely anti suburban/cookie cutter development .

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:35 PM
-

So far what Im seeing from the developers is what I would do. They are developing the parcel next to saulet first and thats critical. for this neighborhood to work it cant start as an islande but rather must be tied into the larger city grid from the get go,

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:
So far what Im seeing from the developers is what I would do. They are developing the parcel next to saulet first and thats critical. for this neighborhood to work it cant start as an islande but rather must be tied into the larger city grid from the get go,
I definitely endorse what you said about developments here not needing to be "themed" to New Orleans. I'm legitimately excited about this development, as a local, precisely because it could give me an entertainment district that isn't centered on the Quarter and the types of tourists that attracts. And I always wonder if we lose some transplants over time because they don't also have these sorts of standard developments that other major US cities increasingly have. We can and should do both, and this is a PERFECT opportunity! Usually developments here include older buildings, which we rightfully prefer to save. There's plenty more of that all over the city. This is one of the only chances we get to start from scratch within Orleans Parish.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I definitely endorse what you said about developments here not needing to be "themed" to New Orleans. I'm legitimately excited about this development, as a local, precisely because it could give me an entertainment district that isn't centered on the Quarter and the types of tourists that attracts. And I always wonder if we lose some transplants over time because they don't also have these sorts of standard developments that other major US cities increasingly have. We can and should do both, and this is a PERFECT opportunity! Usually developments here include older buildings, which we rightfully prefer to save. There's plenty more of that all over the city. This is one of the only chances we get to start from scratch within Orleans Parish.
I agree with this 100%. There should be some New Orleans flavor but not a central subject. I recently went to San Antonio's Pearl. A Pearl-style development, in my opinion, would look fantastic here.

https://atpearl.com/

Last edited by goldberg4; Jul 21, 2022 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:16 PM

Announcement for a major renovation and overhaul of a high rise building in downtown Shreveport that has been abandoned since 1994. Really cool project. Definitely some similar buildings in NOLA that could be repurposed similarly.

https://twitter.com/MayorGlover/stat...D&refsrc=email

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
Strongly agree. I feel it's going to be a nice change of pace from the French Quarter, and tie together nicely with the Warehouse District/Convention Center Area.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:23 PM
-

241 Bourbon St·Interior Demolition · Ref Code:X8V4TV
View Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
John C Williams
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/13/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Initial exploratory interior demo for future renovation. Demo of non-load bearing, non historical partitions No use & occupancy. Renovation requires a separate permit.

810 N Rampart St·Interior Demolition · Ref Code:FHECD1
Type:
Interior Demolition
Applicant:
John C Williams
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/12/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
INTERIOR DEMOLITION - REMOVE DROP CEILING ON FIRST FLOOR, RAISE CEILING TO CREATE SPACE. REMOVE EXISTING PLUMBING FIXTURES. UPDATE HVAC SYSTEM ON FIRST FLOOR. REMOVE STAIR ACCESS TO ATTIC ON SECOND FLOOR. REPLACE ACCESS WITH DROP DOWN STAIR. UPDATE SECOND FLOOR HVAC SYSTEM. REPAIR DAMAGED SHEETROCK AND FINISHES AS NEEDED. ALL INTERIOR WORK. NO STRUCTURAL OR EXTERIOR WORK TO BE DONE. No use & occupancy. Renovation requires a separate permit.

600 Decatur St, 3rd Floor·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:F1U5AQ
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Zach Smith Consulting & Design
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
7/17/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovation of an existing reception venue. Level 1 Alterations to include new finishes, updates to: existing bars and restrooms, lighting fixtures. No change in use. Venue is on the 3rd floor of Jax Brewery. The scope and value of work are NOT considered substantial. No exterior work under this permit.

3604 Tulane Ave·HDLC COA · Ref Code:S1T52P
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Charles Hall Steele Jr
Information Needed
Date Filed:
7/19/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Demolition and Remove Build Board from this location 3604 Tulane Ave, New Orleans

1101 Tulane Ave, 1111 Tulane Ave, 1111 Tulane Ave Apt 201, 1111 Tulane·Zoning Verification · Project #22-0836 · Ref CodePPCBL
Type:
Zoning Verification
Applicant:
Zoning Info
Draft Application
Date Filed:
7/13/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Zoning Verification Request

1415 St Bernard Ave·Design Review · Project #DR037-22 · Ref Code:TSZHJW
View Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
1415 St Bernard LLC
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
7/19/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Design review for a new 3,126 sq. ft. two-story commercial structure with an 814 sq. ft. rooftop deck with bulk head within an HMC-2 Historic Marigny/Tremé/Bywater Commercial District and EC Enhancement Corridor Design Overlay District. The site is currently undeveloped. The ground floor contains a 1,200 sq. ft. commercial white box space on the ground floor with a 143 sq. ft. patio. The 2nd floor contains a 1,912 sq. ft. commercial short term rental that has access to a 814 sq. ft. roof deck.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2022, 5:10 PM
-

401 S Rampart St·HDLC COA · Permit #22-21836-HDLC · Ref Code:28U77D
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
New Orleans Music Hall Of Fame Inc
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
7/20/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Removal of vegetation and repair/replace gutters/downspouts and soffit repairs. Masonry to be under separate permit.

4206 Magazine St·Occupational Business License · Ref Code:1JGLRD
Type:
Occupational Business License
Applicant:
Hungry Eyes, LLC d/b/a Hungry Eyes
Application Filed
Date Filed:
7/20/2022
Closed:
No
4206 Magazine St

1320 St Charles Ave·Design Review · Project #DR015-22 · Ref Code:F1E7TV
View Download (3) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Baptist Community Ministries
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
4/6/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Proposal for the renovation of an existing bank site for office use (including site changes, such as the renovation of an existing parking lot), which requires review because the site is located within a CPC Character Preservation Design Overlay District

6300 Argonne Blvd·NPP Notifications · Project #22-0859 · Ref Code:CXQ78U
View Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Christopher Young
NPP Generated
Date Filed:
7/15/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
NPP notification list for upcoming conditional use petition to amend Ordinance 24145 (which effectuated the conditional use approval for ZD059-10) in order to increase the total current gross floor area of an existing restaurant from 6,001 square feet to 7,215 square feet in an SLB2 Lake Area Neighborhood Business District.and a CT Corridor Transformation Design Overlay District

4730 Freret St·NPP Notifications · Project #22-0863 · Ref Code:LZ1E1Z
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Christopher Young
Draft Application
Date Filed:
7/18/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
NPP notification list for upcoming conditional use petition to permit a standard restaurant with on-premise alcohol sales over 5,000 square feet of total floor area in an HU-MU Historic Urban Neighborhood Mised-Use District and an AC-2 Arts and Culture Diversity Overlay District. The proposed restaurant's floor area is 7,899 square feet.

308 S Rampart St·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA 22-37 · Ref Code:5MBF7S
View Pay Fees Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
Dear Rampart LLC, Scott Welty
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/27/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Appeal of the base flood elevation and protection of openings requirements.

533 St Maurice Ave·Board of Building Standards and Appeals · Project #BBSA 22-38 · Ref Code:4WDZB7
Type:
Board of Building Standards and Appeals
Applicant:
St Margaret Square LLC, Jason Richards
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
6/30/2022
Closed:
No
Description:
Appeal of the base flood elevation requirements

[IMG]900 Harrison Ave·Occupational Business License · Ref Code:YD14PJ
Type:
Occupational Business License
Applicant:
949 Harrison Restaurant, LLC d/b/a Whiskey & Knife
Application Filed
Date Filed:
7/19/2022
Closed:
No
900 Harrison Ave[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 7:52 PM

Does anybody know what's going into the building at the Tulane/D'hemecourt split? I know there were permits posted for restaurants a while back on here but it's been slow going with the work and I'm just wondering what to expect. I live a few blocks away.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Does anybody know what's going into the building at the Tulane/D'hemecourt split? I know there were permits posted for restaurants a while back on here but it's been slow going with the work and I'm just wondering what to expect. I live a few blocks away.
It is going to be a second location of Melba's. They put the sign up earlier this week and added the address to their website.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyscale View Post
It is going to be a second location of Melba's. They put the sign up earlier this week and added the address to their website.
Thanks. That'll be an easy stop for po boys for me.

Edit: I called the original location and spoke to a manager who said they expect to be open within 3 weeks and that it will be 24 hours.

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Jul 25, 2022 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2022, 5:45 PM

Great ideas... Funding this would be another story.

Storm resilience projects gain steam in New Orleans

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...n-new-orleans/

Entergy vice president of system resilience Sean Meredith and his team partnered with technologists from 1898 & Co., a division of Burns and McDonnell, to run a Monte Carlo simulation to determine long-term effects of intensified storms on New Orleans’ grid.

“We ran 1,000 simulations over the next 50 years to determine how our assets, status quo, would hold up against intensified storms, compared to how we would do if we made long-term resilience and hardening investments to withstand intensifications,” said Meredith. “We asked, how much does outage duration and recovery time diminish, how much do restoration costs go down if we make the needed investments, and in what areas do our investments need to be.”

The answers: $1.5 billion over 10 years to harden 33,000 structures and 650 miles of power lines across New Orleans, resulting in a savings of $2.6 billion in restoration and avoided outage costs over 50 years, and a 50% reduction in outage and recovery time.

ENO presented this proposal in June to its local regulator, the New Orleans City Council, following the council’s opening of a grid hardening and resilience docket asking stakeholders to propose infrastructure resiliency and storm hardening plans. ENO’s regulatory filing includes grid resilience, hardening and alternative technologies such as microgrids. Alliance for Affordable Energy and Together New Orleans submitted proposals to the council around solar and battery-backed microgrids. Together New Orleans announced last month a $3.8 million federal commitment to pay for the first phase of 24 solar- and battery-powered “resilience hubs” at churches and community centers. ENO is working with Together New Orleans on the installation of transfer switches at the resilience hubs.

The council will begin a procedural schedule to review all proposals. The council opened the docket after last year’s hurricane season was the third most active, including Hurricane Ida causing $75 billion in damages to Louisiana....

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:55 PM

Tennis, do you have a link to the parks and parkways presentation you posted on your tumblr? I had no luck searching for it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 7:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckett5425 View Post
Tennis, do you have a link to the parks and parkways presentation you posted on your tumblr? I had no luck searching for it. Thanks!
https://cityofno.granicus.com/Genera...2&clip_id=4148

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations