HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Mr. Technology

I wonder how much time until we see steel?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^If you're expecting I-beams and columns, never. The only steel in this building is the rebar.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:03 PM

Can't wait to see it grow.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 7:02 PM

This thing will be like a vertical concrete bunker.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 8:29 PM

Hello,

I'm a new member, and have been following this post avidly. As a native New Yorker, I have always liked supertall buildings. This particular building is interesting, and I have been addicted to the webcam. One of the interesting things to observe on this project, typical of such tight sites in Manhattan, is the sequence of activities, and the coordination of these activities to move the project along. This type of construction of very tall buildings in New York is very different in many aspects from most building construction in the US, with the exception of perhaps Chicago, whose buildings nearly rival those of New York, with the difference in that the geology is different, hence different foundation design.

Following the webcam over the past months, I have observed how the methods of foundation work in NYC have changed over the years. Having been born in the early 50s, I recall how excavation in the past was done in the city using cable machines, track loaders, and a bank of air compressors that used to line the sidewalks feeding compressed air to crawler track drills, the compressors roaring and the deafening din of the track drills drilling the rock known as Manhattan Schist. In addition, there was quite a bit more blasting then. Today, it's hydraulic machines with interchangeable attachments (buckets, hydraulic hammers, boom extensions). Using today's example, the triple-boom Hitachi installed the rock tendons and stripped forms, another Hitachi Xaxis 850 excavator loaded trucks, while yet another machine is breaking rock for another footing. This morning one of the excavators with a boom extension unloaded a delivery of rock tendons from 56th Street. Versatility is the name of the game.

This project will be fun to watch go up, and it'll be yet another supertall building going up in the ever-changing skyline of New York!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^If you're expecting I-beams and columns, never. The only steel in this building is the rebar.
Are you joking or............?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 9:49 PM

This tower will be an amazing feat of engineering due to its thiness but it's still very meh,just like the Twins of the WTC.Both "plateau" breakers but the aesthetic nature of both resemble boring.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
This tower will be an amazing feat of engineering due to its thiness but it's still very meh,just like the Twins of the WTC.Both "plateau" breakers but the aesthetic nature of both resemble boring.
I don't have much of a problem with the shape of the building, its the perfectly square windows/grid pattern of the facade that's ugly/boring to me. Hopefully that configuration will look better in person...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Are you joking or............?
It will be built like One57, with a concrete structure.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 10:31 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
Hello,

I'm a new member, and have been following this post avidly. As a native New Yorker, I have always liked supertall buildings. This particular building is interesting, and I have been addicted to the webcam. One of the interesting things to observe on this project, typical of such tight sites in Manhattan, is the sequence of activities, and the coordination of these activities to move the project along. This type of construction of very tall buildings in New York is very different in many aspects from most building construction in the US, with the exception of perhaps Chicago, whose buildings nearly rival those of New York, with the difference in that the geology is different, hence different foundation design.

Following the webcam over the past months, I have observed how the methods of foundation work in NYC have changed over the years. Having been born in the early 50s, I recall how excavation in the past was done in the city using cable machines, track loaders, and a bank of air compressors that used to line the sidewalks feeding compressed air to crawler track drills, the compressors roaring and the deafening din of the track drills drilling the rock known as Manhattan Schist. In addition, there was quite a bit more blasting then. Today, it's hydraulic machines with interchangeable attachments (buckets, hydraulic hammers, boom extensions). Using today's example, the triple-boom Hitachi installed the rock tendons and stripped forms, another Hitachi Xaxis 850 excavator loaded trucks, while yet another machine is breaking rock for another footing. This morning one of the excavators with a boom extension unloaded a delivery of rock tendons from 56th Street. Versatility is the name of the game.

This project will be fun to watch go up, and it'll be yet another supertall building going up in the ever-changing skyline of New York!!
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the history lesson.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:36 AM

I can't wait to see this one rise. Seeing it's thiness is a unique.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 11:33 AM

JackinBeantown,

Thank you for the welcome.

As mentioned before, I find the webcam of this building very entertaining for me. I presently work in structural engineering, and studied architecture, with a heavy interest in heavy construction, so the webcam is a lot of fun for me. Seeing this webcam makes me wonder if there are others documenting construction in other parts of the city. Going back to the coordination aspect, just take a walk past this site, and look at all of the permits required to move the project along, typical of such required in the city for construction. I myself took a gander at them: NYDOT, NYC Buildings, NY Fire department, permits for blasting, permits for after-hours work variances, etc, etc. It's always a wonder that big projects get built as fast as they do, especially once the foundations are done, sub-basements and base floors are completed. Once the typical floors are reached, building structural goes up fast.

NYC pioneered the two-day cycle concept of high rise construction, wherein the schedule typically calls for construction of one floor per two days (for reinforced concrete construction). This typically results in either two floor slabs or three per week, for an average of ten floors per month (for typical floor plates). Usually, columns are poured, the next day, floor slabs are poured. later the same day, forms are being erected for the floor above. Meanwhile, the previous floor slab poured below the freshly poured slab is being stripped of forms and reshores placed.

The beauty of NYC is seeing the constantly changing landscape. Nothing is static. I believe in preserving buildings of architectural or historic merit, but I also believe in organic growth, with new buildings and development.

This forum is quite informative and fun to follow.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
New Yorker for life

From today (July 19, 2012)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 2:45 AM

So How Long Will It Be before we actually see a floor?
Also, I'll assume this is one floor per week?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
So How Long Will It Be before we actually see a floor?
Also, I'll assume this is one floor per week?
Probably not until next year. This is always the longest part/wait. But once the floors start rising, they rise pretty quickly.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
JACKinBeantown

Can someone with engineering knowledge please explain what they're doing with that concrete square around the pit, and so on.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
Mr. Technology

I may not have an engineering degree, but I can imagine the need for fundamentals such as electric lines, plumbing, etc. to service every electrical outlet and every single toilet in this massive tower.

So if it takes extra time to get it right, then that's a good thing!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 1:12 PM

They're progressing very quickly here. It really wasn't that long ago that they started digging.

This is an extremely thin and simple design. When the floors start rising, don't blink.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
I may not have an engineering degree, but I can imagine the need for fundamentals such as electric lines, plumbing, etc. to service every electrical outlet and every single toilet in this massive tower.

So if it takes extra time to get it right, then that's a good thing!
Yes, by all means, let's make sure we get the toilets working correctly!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
They're progressing very quickly here. It really wasn't that long ago that they started digging.

This is an extremely thin and simple design. When the floors start rising, don't blink.
what if I do blink?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive