HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
The metro station is farther along than I thought.
2020 opening

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:17 AM

Sorry for the grainy pic. Latest visual status off the 110 Harbor fwy, taken today…

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
No, go back and re-read my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
But if the tradeoff is more height/less pedestrian friendly but the same density per land use, then I'm not going to side with that.

You lost me with this statement then.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:42 AM

Great news about Apex II breaking ground. First time we're seeing crane activity around the clock downtown.

9th street exit is going to be very interesting in the future, hopefully, that corridor is slowly becoming canyon country like Fig is.

Since we know what's going to be built across from 7th and fig. I'm almost willing to bet money that LAs next supertall is going to be at the southwest corner of 9th and fig. Talk about awesome views on all sides.

(Relax, just some light hearted guessing/wishing. Not in the mood for the Debbie Downers that like to drag the rest of us down to reality)

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Agreed. It's always looked incomplete without some kind of cladding.
WaterMarke podium not just looks incomplete, it is incomplete. The original developer ran out of money several times and it was acquired by WaterMarke out of bankruptcy court. They resold the building couple of years ago for a good profit. Wish there was a way for the city to force WaterMarke to properly finish the podium before reselling the building!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozp View Post
WaterMarke podium not just looks incomplete, it is incomplete. The original developer ran out of money several times and it was acquired by WaterMarke out of bankruptcy court. They resold the building couple of years ago for a good profit. Wish there was a way for the city to force WaterMarke to properly finish the podium before reselling the building!
Sadly there is 0% chance of that happening. There's no upside to them spending the money beautifying the podium, it's already doing so well as an Airbnb haven.

They did mention getting wrapped into the Fig sign district. If the city permitted that they would cover the podium in signage, which could be a plus.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 1:38 AM

Should I move Apex to under construction or hold off until we get actual photos of digging? I moved 888 Hope to U/C.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Great news about Apex II breaking ground. First time we're seeing crane activity around the clock downtown.

9th street exit is going to be very interesting in the future, hopefully, that corridor is slowly becoming canyon country like Fig is.

Since we know what's going to be built across from 7th and fig. I'm almost willing to bet money that LAs next supertall is going to be at the southwest corner of 9th and fig. Talk about awesome views on all sides.

(Relax, just some light hearted guessing/wishing. Not in the mood for the Debbie Downers that like to drag the rest of us down to reality)
I've always thought that if we had another supertall, the corner of 9th and Fig adjacent to hotel Fig would be perfect. We could have a 3 pronged skyline with US Bank, WG and this lot being roughly the same distance apart.

Oops, I said the "S" word.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Sadly there is 0% chance of that happening. There's no upside to them spending the money beautifying the podium, it's already doing so well as an Airbnb haven.

They did mention getting wrapped into the Fig sign district. If the city permitted that they would cover the podium in signage, which could be a plus.
I'm not usually an advocate for digital advertising being plastered all over highrises, but Jesus, anything would be an improvement over its current look.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post

Seeing how Apex II is getting signage, I honestly wouldn't mind if Watermarke was allowed to have signage covering its podium either. Might as well. The only problem I see with that is the people in the Ralphs building complaining about it.....Unless the 9th street side is a digital display and the flower street side is your plain Jane paper advertisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I've always thought that if we had another supertall, the corner of 9th and Fig adjacent to hotel Fig would be perfect. We could have a 3 pronged skyline with US Bank, WG and this lot being roughly the same distance apart.

Oops, I said the "S" word.
Yeah. The original proposed tower where Apex/Concerto sits would have been 1,270ft. of boxy heaven. Kinda glad it didn't get built though. But something of similar size will fit in nicely after Oceanwide plaza, Circa and (knock on wood) the Luxe site gets done. Like you said. Would create a nice three pronged skyline when looking from the West or East. But probably would look a mess from the north and south lol. Its happening slowly but I cant wait for downtown to get a bit wider at the waist.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Should I move Apex to under construction or hold off until we get actual photos of digging? I moved 888 Hope to U/C.
I wouldn't mind. But based off of how some people have reacted on the old forum pages, I would probably wait until we see them dig down a few feet to be on the safe side.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 2:42 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind. But based off of how some people have reacted on the old forum pages, I would probably wait until we see them dig down a few feet to be on the safe side.
In some other city compilations they have a site prep category. Frankentower 2, Apex 2, 888 Hope, Onni 50 story, and Mack Urban's Grand Tower would all fit in this category.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know if there is any hard and fast rule but I would certainly agree with you that there needs to at least be a hole. And my understanding was always that we waited until rebar was installed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:09 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ There is a hard and fast rule for under construction on the forum. There has to be actual foundation work, which can be foundation piles (not to be confused with shoring piles), caissons, or rebar for a matt foundation. Any one of those three will qualify. So this one is a ways out, but on its way there.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:11 AM
Paramoderator

Curbed posted a clearer photo of the Mitsui Fudosan development.

436 rental units, 10,000 square feet of commercial space, 460 Parking Spaces, and 43 stories tall. Johnson Fain is the architect.

EDIT: Holy hell that's a big photo.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 4:47 AM

Pretty good parking space to unit ratio.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:05 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ There is a hard and fast rule for under construction on the forum. There has to be actual foundation work, which can be foundation piles (not to be confused with shoring piles), caissons, or rebar for a matt foundation. Any one of those three will qualify. So this one is a ways out, but on its way there.

Quote:
Builders Hold High Hopes for High-Rises on 'Golden Mile'
December 12, 1988

For nearly eight years, the steel frame of a 28-story building on Wilshire Boulevard between Westwood and Beverly Hills sat rusting as a skeletal reminder of a dream that had soured.

In the early 1980s, 11 projects were planned to help create the "Golden Mile," Los Angeles' version of high-rise luxury condominium living. But developers say that high interest rates, a glut of overpriced condominiums and the disdain of home buyers for living in high-rise buildings led to a bust. Some developers have gone bankrupt.

Michael V. Reyes, president of Urban Pacific Group, and Lee Danielson, vice president of Cal Fed Enterprises, both were involved in efforts to create the Golden Mile.

Reyes said the market went bust because years of steady hype pushed prices to unrealistic heights. For example, he said, the asking price for one penthouse unit at that time was $11 million. That condo recently sold for $4 million, he said.

Danielson points out that there were too many condominiums at the time--about 900 units built in one year--and that the finished product was mediocre.

The nation's economy also was a factor. Interest rates were high, helping put a damper on sales.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:38 AM

^^^ Huh ? I've never seen a 28 story steel skeleton structure on Wilshire rusting away for 8 years..... Or is this story literally dated back to 1988?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Yeah thanks for clarifying. I figured foundation work was the golden rule. People always say different things. Some say steel rebar, some say pilings, some say concrete pour.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:52 AM

Why does it feel that every new development, whether its a tower or 7 story, MUST have a pool, gym, sauna, meeting room, spa, and crazy garbage like redwood floors, $20,000 for appliances and etc?

Just give me a freaking building, no pool, no gym, none of the other smoke and mirrors. I don't want imported wood from South America, I don't want appliances from Europe. Its as if developers feel they wont make a sale unless they add 100k in extras on top of the already high price.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 5:59 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
EDIT: Holy hell that's a big photo.
And a big podium as well!

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations