HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 1:36 AM
Heart of the Continent

An airport is a business that should cater to air travelers above all others. There are significant advantages to having the majority of your facilities on the air side. For most travelers, saying this is a dramatic improvement is an understatement. There are some facilities on the ground side, as there should be, but the old airport was far too weighted to the public side, and wasn't really geared towards modern air travel.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 5:31 AM

I wonder if they can just reuse the play area from the old airport. Nothing was wrong with it. But I hope you're right and the airport offers a bit more for the general public soon.[/QUOTE]

Wait until it gets a little colder, you and the kids can amuse themselves by placing pennies on the frost on the windows.

This building wasn't built for Winnipeg winters. (inside fact that will come to bite them in the ass)

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 7:52 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
An airport is a business that should cater to air travelers above all others. There are significant advantages to having the majority of your facilities on the air side. For most travelers, saying this is a dramatic improvement is an understatement. There are some facilities on the ground side, as there should be, but the old airport was far too weighted to the public side, and wasn't really geared towards modern air travel.
I once worked at the old airport and I agree with you that the passenger side was pathetic, and yes the new airport is an improvement in that regard, but I don't think the public side of the old airport was all that great either. Maybe by comparison, but in general not the best selection either. Both sides were terrible.

However, the pendulum shouldn't completely swing the other way. The public side needs some consideration as well. I've been to other airports and c'mon they've all had more on the public side than the new Winnipeg airport has. The lack of an observation deck is unfortunate from simply an educational standpoint. I'm glad I had the opportunity to show it to my 4 year old nephew before it closed. I hope the design of the new aviation museum at least incorporates an observation deck - even should they charge an admission fee to use it. The lack of a play area for children is a horrid oversight. They've had a lot of time to put something there, like I said even the old play structure at the old airport, considering how long the new airport was delayed what kind of excuses do they have? Is a new one on back order or something? The lack of restaurant services other than Tim Hortons is pretty bad. I mean most Canadians are content with Tim Horton's but still, I was under the assumption there would be a bit more variety.

But we'll see how it goes over the next year or two. I hope to see my concerns considered.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 11:55 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I once worked at the old airport and I agree with you that the passenger side was pathetic, and yes the new airport is an improvement in that regard, but I don't think the public side of the old airport was all that great either. Maybe by comparison, but in general not the best selection either. Both sides were terrible.

However, the pendulum shouldn't completely swing the other way. The public side needs some consideration as well. I've been to other airports and c'mon they've all had more on the public side than the new Winnipeg airport has. The lack of an observation deck is unfortunate from simply an educational standpoint. I'm glad I had the opportunity to show it to my 4 year old nephew before it closed. I hope the design of the new aviation museum at least incorporates an observation deck - even should they charge an admission fee to use it. The lack of a play area for children is a horrid oversight. They've had a lot of time to put something there, like I said even the old play structure at the old airport, considering how long the new airport was delayed what kind of excuses do they have? Is a new one on back order or something? The lack of restaurant services other than Tim Hortons is pretty bad. I mean most Canadians are content with Tim Horton's but still, I was under the assumption there would be a bit more variety.

But we'll see how it goes over the next year or two. I hope to see my concerns considered.
In Tim Hortons defense, they were the ONLY place open at Leduc around 3am when I had to wait for my flight back home

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

Reed go up the escalator there is a Stellas Cafe right there on the public side.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 9:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that view is really nice when sitting at stellas having breakfast as the morning light begins to poor in

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
that view is really nice when sitting at stellas having breakfast as the morning light begins to poor in
Is it expensive?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 7:27 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
I went there for skyline shots actually! Too bad its winter and smoke was in the way >:-(

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 8:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
All this terminal needs is an observation deck, cool Barcelona chairs, and some modernist artwork

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 9:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Is it expensive?
no different then any other stellas

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 2:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

YWG is definitely "big time" with that terminal now. I can't wait to see it in October!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
no different then any other stellas
Went to the airport Stella's last Sunday when seeing someone off. It was so good. Planning a couple trips to the Portage and Memorial Stella's now.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 3:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Went to the airport Stella's last Sunday when seeing someone off. It was so good. Planning a couple trips to the Portage and Memorial Stella's now.

theres one on sherbrook too!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
theres one on sherbrook too!
Ya, but I live (a little) closer to the Portage one.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:41 PM
Heart of the Continent

Westjet's potential launch of a regional carrier, as they announced today, is good news for Winnipeg. Also, according to Rempel today on CJOB, the 7:00 time slot ow has all gates at the new terminal full.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2012, 6:59 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Westjet's potential launch of a regional carrier, as they announced today, is good news for Winnipeg. Also, according to Rempel today on CJOB, the 7:00 time slot ow has all gates at the new terminal full.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...dmontonjournal

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Would be nice to see the Saskatoon - Winnipeg flight return to provide Air Canada with some competition. Westjet dropped the route when they introduced the Saskatoon - Toronto non-stop. Same holds for Regina.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 5:40 AM
The New Republic

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are really starting to reach a critical mass. The Winnipeg airport upgrades are just part of a bigger overhaul I'm seeing in both of these provinces. Keep growing!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 2:47 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
WestJet mulls new routes in province
Brandon and Thompson may get turboprop service

By: Murray McNeill

Posted: 01/17/2012 1:00 AM

"WestJet is considering launching a new short-haul regional airline -- a move that could lead to more local flights and lower airfares for some Manitoba travellers.

The Calgary-based national airline was tight-lipped Monday about what impact such a move might have on Manitoba, or what local routes it might be eyeing for such a service, which could be launched as early as next year.

However, the Globe and Mail quoted WestJet president and chief executive officer Gregg Saretsky saying some of the destinations that could benefit, subject to further market analysis, include Brandon and Thompson.

And Winnipeg Airports Authority president and CEO Barry Rempel said he could see the airline resuming direct service between Winnipeg and Saskatchewan's two largest cities -- Regina and Saskatoon."

[...]

Full story: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...137466988.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan