HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 6:33 PM

I'm glad to see something in the works for that property. I hate to be a wet blanket, but per the Idaho Statesman,
Quote:
St. Luke’s initially expressed skepticism at the stadium proposal, saying it was negotiating with more than one potential buyer.
AND
Quote:
The St. Luke’s-Greenstone deal isn’t final. St. Luke’s spokeswoman Anita Kissee described it as a “non-binding letter of intent". A lot of details, such as the fine print of the land acquisition, which government bodies would invest in the stadium and the exact shape and location of each piece of the project, have to be worked through.
I'd say that it's way too early to be worrying about preliminary renderings and sun pattern studies.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 7:33 PM
Certified Idahoan

It appears that the direction the stadium will face is still very much up for discussion:

Quote:
Q: Where would it be located?
Between Americana Boulevard, Shoreline Drive, 14th Street and Spa Street. The exact situating of the stadium on that parcel is one of many details to be worked out.
Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:31 PM
Closed account

The location of the ballpark/soccer complex with retail, condos and hotel is great for this area. Parking as usual looks tight even with a parking garage, and congestion in this area during events will be very interesting. The only buildings occupied at night are currently up on River and 13th area.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 28, 2017 at 10:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:34 PM
Closed account

Bown Crossing
New condos ready for lease, and finishing touches on library:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:36 PM

Stadium questions

I've been working since yesterday to get as many questions on this stadium deal answered as possible -- I think I've annoyed every agency in town.
  • What are they buying, exactly? What about adjacent land (dentist, etc)
  • What about the sun? How is this going to be oriented?
  • Several new details about the design
  • What about parking?
  • Could the Hawks move up from short season?
  • When is this going to happen?
  • Will Boise State be participating?
  • Taxes?
  • How is GBAD involved?
  • What would a new CCDC district look like?
  • What happens to Memorial Stadium?

There's also audio from a great ESPN Boise interview here

https://boisedev.com/news/2017/3/28/stadium-dream-questions-answers-and-whats-next

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDay View Post
I've been working since yesterday to get as many questions on this stadium deal answered as possible -- I think I've annoyed every agency in town.
  • What are they buying, exactly? What about adjacent land (dentist, etc)
  • What about the sun? How is this going to be oriented?
  • Several new details about the design
  • What about parking?
  • Could the Hawks move up from short season?
  • When is this going to happen?
  • Will Boise State be participating?
  • Taxes?
  • How is GBAD involved?
  • What would a new CCDC district look like?
  • What happens to Memorial Stadium?

There's also audio from a great ESPN Boise interview here

https://boisedev.com/news/2017/3/28/stadium-dream-questions-answers-and-whats-next
Don,
Great research. Thanks for all the investigating.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:55 AM

Stadium renderings look great in this initial conception and I dig the location.

As far as sun, stadium angles, etc. -- Boise's hot and bright in the summer, there's no getting around that. Someone is going to be exposed at some point, whether it's the fans or the athletes. For soccer supporters, there will definitely be fans in the sun no matter what configuration/angle the stadium is in, and from every indication Greenstone seems to be expecting a) more interest in the soccer club, and b) larger attendance (i.e. 7500 vs 5000). For baseball at least this field will have a roof where the last one did not. I'm not sure I get the expectations here, baseball is an outdoor sport isn't it??

As for parking -- do we expect Seattle to redesign their streets to suit the release of 85,000 fans after a Seahawks game at CenturyLink Field? No, we don't. It's kind of the nature of sporting events, there's always congestion before and after a game. For cars, the site is right next to the Connector. And at least the stadium will be adjacent to the Greenbelt, maybe folks will be encouraged to try riding their bikes instead of driving. This summer ACHD is adding bike lanes to Emerald/Americana from Orchard to Ann Morrison. I'm in the Central Rim Bench now, I'll absolutely ride my bike on those new lanes for future games! I'm excited.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Stadium renderings look great in this initial conception and I dig the location.

As far as sun, stadium angles, etc. -- Boise's hot and bright in the summer, there's no getting around that. Someone is going to be exposed at some point, whether it's the fans or the athletes. For soccer supporters, there will definitely be fans in the sun no matter what configuration/angle the stadium is in, and from every indication Greenstone seems to be expecting a) more interest in the soccer club, and b) larger attendance (i.e. 7500 vs 5000). For baseball at least this field will have a roof where the last one did not. I'm not sure I get the expectations here, baseball is an outdoor sport isn't it??

As for parking -- do we expect Seattle to redesign their streets to suit the release of 85,000 fans after a Seahawks game at CenturyLink Field? No, we don't. It's kind of the nature of sporting events, there's always congestion before and after a game. For cars, the site is right next to the Connector. And at least the stadium will be adjacent to the Greenbelt, maybe folks will be encouraged to try riding their bikes instead of driving. This summer ACHD is adding bike lanes to Emerald/Americana from Orchard to Ann Morrison. I'm in the Central Rim Bench now, I'll absolutely ride my bike on those new lanes for future games! I'm excited.
Sorry I meant traffic not parking in the above minor rant!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:40 PM

http://kboi2.com/news/local/beaver-i...ng-boise-river

Beaver in distress spotted near high flowing Boise River

Here is a new project one of our city council members is taking on:

http://www.mtexpress.com/news/ketchu...d51cee0b4.html

After lawsuit, Ketchum developer pitches 46-unit housing project

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townn...cfdc.image.jpg

Quote:
Scot Ludwig, a would-be property developer and Boise city councilman, said he hopes to build a 46-unit apartment building with ground-floor retail and commercial space on a 16,000-square-foot property across the street from Perry’s restaurant. The building’s total size would be about 37,000 square feet, and Ludwig said he wants the units to be rentals intended for Ketchum’s workforce.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:10 PM

City Hall revamp starts Monday

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:24 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/living...137589933.html

Coiled Wines is opening a tasting room in Downtown Boise, new winery in Garden City

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post

As far as sun, stadium angles, etc. -- I'm not sure I get the expectations here, baseball is an outdoor sport isn't it??
We are only looking at a conceptual drawing and I expect that it will change significantly before completion in 7 or so years. I like the concept and would happily spend money at a sporting event in that location.

That said, the current rendering has some definite sun issues that I suspect will be addressed in future revisions. An expensive overhanging roof is placed down the first base line that faces west. That expensive roof does nothing for summer day or evening games whether the sport is baseball or soccer. I expect that will be cut out or moved. The third base line seats back into a structure of press boxes and suites that will serve soccer at midfield, however the angle of the lot and the fact that the sun's rotation is much higher in the summer, will leave these seats exposed. The only athletes you need to worry about is the hitter in baseball and the goalie in soccer. I believe the current alignment leaves one goalie at a tremendous disadvantage during a 30 minute window during evening games. The most practical alignment is placing 1/2 the seats for baseball and soccer on the west side of the lot with the roof overhang. (The third base line) The sports management company has a huge problem with the best alignment. The dentist office is taking up the important corner needed to place home plate and surrounding seats. Hopefully the two sides can sit down over the next twelve months and reach a fair agreement.

Also, removing the practical needs. The most aesthetic or best view for fans would be sitting behind home plate with the game in the foreground and the downtown skyline and Boise foothills in the background. The Boise Hawks need that corner.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 1:57 PM

Here's more info from the city website regarding the city hall plaza:

http://publicworks.cityofboise.org/c...za-renovation/

Source: http://publicworks.cityofboise.org/m...ses_final2.jpg

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 2:57 PM

Here are some other development news that have happened in the past week or two.

Housing First
In a quick KTVB article, the Housing First project released a rendering. The rendering only shows the Chronically Homeless side at 4 stories. You can somewhat see the market housing side of the project off to the left. According to a friend at Erstad, this was intentional as the market rate housing/retail side is still influx and the exterior hasn't been chosen yet.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/housi...ding/351874511

BSU Material Sciences Building
Recently, BSU has released some renderings of their new Micron Center for Materials Research Building.

https://give.boisestate.edu/active-d...f-bdd914984fab

Ash Street Townhomes
Featured in an article in the Statesman today, the Ash Street Townhomes will start construction in either late Summer or early Fall. They have put in for CUP with the city recently.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/b...141558344.html
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP17-00017

Also stay tuned. We should be having another large downtown project announcement in the next couple of months!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:12 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Also stay tuned. We should be having another large downtown project announcement in the next couple of months!

the only ones I've heard of (besides the new stadium) are Clay Carley's two projects--the condo on 5th and Idaho, and the hotel on Front. there's also been rumors of Local Construct's The Nest condos near The Fowler, but no details on their website yet.

is there something else percolating? if so, I'm hoping it's of the tall variety... we've been inundated with sub-10-floor infill lately.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
the only ones I've heard of (besides the new stadium) are Clay Carley's two projects--the condo on 5th and Idaho, and the hotel on Front. there's also been rumors of Local Construct's The Nest condos near The Fowler, but no details on their website yet.

is there something else percolating? if so, I'm hoping it's of the tall variety... we've been inundated with sub-10-floor infill lately.
Lets amended that to say the project will be in the "broader" downtown area. And sadly it would be under the 10 floor ceiling.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:44 PM

I've got my fingers crossed for those two C.C. projects and that they actually happen. There are a few projects from the past (and in the 1st Boise Dev. Thread) he proposed that never went anywhere.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Phenomenal all these new projects in the pipeline after all the big ones of the last couple years.

Hoping for an announcement on Local Contructs West End superblock on Whitewater/Fairview/Main, but I'm with you BoiseBro -- something taller anywhere dt would be rad.

TVUrban, I think you set me straight awhile back regarding the West End residential projects -- there is the Housing First project that you just shared, and wasn't there also a 4 story workforce rate housing project proposed along Fairview where the climbing gym is?

Thanks for the intel, very cool.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I've got my fingers crossed for those two C.C. projects and that they actually happen. There are a few projects from the past (and in the 1st Boise Dev. Thread) he proposed that never went anywhere.
The 5th and Idaho condos look to be undergoing some initial activity of late... or at least they're digging up the asphalt and playing with the utilities!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 4:05 PM

I think the 5th and Idaho condo project has begun. They've started utility work this past week or so. It's behind schedule though, since it was suppose to happen in January/February but hey, better late than never.

Does anybody know about a start date for the Carley Hotel? I was looking at it yesterday and couldn't find anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West