HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 7:16 PM

comparing holladay project to the 40 story project in Sandy is laughable. completely different scales.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 5:51 AM

There's an interesting new development in Holladay, on Highland Drive. I've been meaning to take pictures for a while, finally got some today:

I really like the one on the left, which is a small office building. I'm pretty sure the one on the right is residences (though part of the same little development). I'm not sure how I like the modern meets traditional meets mustard look though. The color has sure caused lots of complaints to the city.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:25 AM

I think that looks pretty cool. Is that a renovation or something new?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
There's an interesting new development in Holladay, on Highland Drive. I've been meaning to take pictures for a while, finally got some today:

I really like the one on the left, which is a small office building. I'm pretty sure the one on the right is residences (though part of the same little development). I'm not sure how I like the modern meets traditional meets mustard look though. The color has sure caused lots of complaints to the city.
LOVE IT!

I don't see anything to complain about. I guess Utahns would rather have puke-beige on everything.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:37 PM
West bench livin'

I like it! I caught this development out of the corner of my eye the other day, but didn't have time to investigate further. The mustard color (I'd call it a Tuscany gold) probably just offends the 'purist' incensibilities of resident nimby's in Holladay.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 9:28 PM

ditto. I like it, too!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks for posting that John. I like it too! Both very creative and fit's in unobtrusively with it's neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2009, 12:12 PM

Condos, hotels in the foothills? Cottonwood Heights residents opposed to rezone

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...to-rezone.html

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Less than a mile into Big Cottonwood Canyon, a concrete bridge in muted colors of brown and tawny beige winds its way up the mountain...

A house is under construction at the Tavaci development in Cottonwood Heights. Salt Lake County approved 43 luxury homes for the site. Chen Wang, Deseret News

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 4:25 AM
Bring out the cranes...

West Jordan Library

West Jordan Library

Address:

West Jordan City Park area (approx.)( map it! )
Opening:
Size:
55,000 sq. ft.
Collection Size:
150,000 books, DVD's, CD's,and more

The new West Jordan Library will be the new central headquarters for the Salt Lake County library system. The library itself will be approximately 20,000 sq. ft. The administration area that includes management, customer support and information technology will be 20,000 square feet as well and will replace the current administration area in Whitmore Library which has been undersized for quite some time. In addition there will be a large 15,000 sq. ft. community room for use by library patrons and the local citizens as well.

Rendering from www.slco.lib.ut.us
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 12:10 PM

Brief: Red Ledges named No. 1 for golf

Red Ledges, a golf and four-season recreational community in Heber was recently named the No. 1 Best New Private Golf Course in 2009 by Golf Magazine. The publication recognized seven new private golf courses across the U.S., with Red Ledges ranking at the top of the list. The course is an 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course that opened July 4, 2009 and was the 200th U.S. course by Nicklaus Design.

RedLedges

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 1:23 PM

Big Brother is coming: NSA's $1.9 billion cyber spy center a power grab

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ower-grab.html

"By the very nature of the intelligence business, it is difficult to discuss much of the NSA mission." — National Security Agency Web site

The National Security Agency has been forced to look beyond its headquarters here in Fort Meade, Md., for sites with more power. (NSA, Getty Images)

In this post-Sept. 11 world, plans by the National Security Agency to construct a colossal $1.9 billion information storage center at Camp Williams could be considered a power trip.

But it's not the sort of power trip that keeps civil libertarians lying awake at night.

No, this power grab is for the stuff of Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla — the juice needed to keep acres of NSA supercomputers humming and a cyber eye peeled for the world's bad guys...

The NSA uses satellite dishes at its post at Menwith Hill in Britain to eavesdrop on international communications as part of its high-tech surveillance in the age of terrorism. (Neil Barrett)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 8:48 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post

I really hope the one we got won't have a endless sea of parking like what is seen in the photo above. If there's going to be a building of that size lets do the smart thing and build a parking garage.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:42 PM
Chairman

I would not be surprised one bit if there is a sea of asphalt parking lots as part of the Camp Williams center. There will be plenty of land surrounding the Data Center when complete. I am on your side about the thought of such a parking lot.

Though I can understand the reasoning from a security standpoint.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:55 PM

Due to the topography of the Camp Williams area, I don't think it is practicle for a sea of parking. I can see a few parking garages but not a see of asphalt parking.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:59 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

I really hope the one we got won't have a endless sea of parking like what is seen in the photo above. If there's going to be a building of that size lets do the smart thing and build a parking garage.
I was about to say the same. And that's something, if I am complaining about road transportation.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 6:18 PM

The first phase of the spy center doesn’t employ enough people to justify acres of asphalt parking. The first phase will employ 100 to 200 IT professionals. The second phase (5 to 10 years away) will employ about 2000 translators. My next door neighbor happens to be one of the Colonels that pitched this location to the NSA.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 8:18 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Due to the topography of the Camp Williams area, I don't think it is practicle for a sea of parking. I can see a few parking garages but not a see of asphalt parking.

Makid -

Thank you for clarifying.

-sb

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Camp Williams was set up so the U.S. Government could "spy" on the Mormon settlers, or at least keep tabs on what was going on in the Mormon settlement. It was set up mainly to maintain U.S. control over the area since the majority of Mormons, including Brigham Young, wanted to succeed from the U.S. and build their own theocratic Nation.

Therefore, I think this is a historically appropriate location for a "spy center." It would be an even better location if there were a light-rail line going down Redwood Road.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post
Camp Williams was set up so the U.S. Government could "spy" on the Mormon settlers, or at least keep tabs on what was going on in the Mormon settlement. It was set up mainly to maintain U.S. control over the area since the majority of Mormons, including Brigham Young, wanted to succeed from the U.S. and build their own theocratic Nation.

Therefore, I think this is a historically appropriate location for a "spy center." It would be an even better location if there were a light-rail line going down Redwood Road.
While the US Gov't was worried about Young and the Mormon settlers, this is not where Camp Williams got started--that would have been Camp Floyd and other camps that were involved in the "Utah War".

Camp Williams actually was actually created by the state as a national guard center.

See this link for more information.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
BANNED

I had understood that this is where the U.S. troops set up camp after having marched through salt lake city (when the Mormons buried the footings of their temple, and had groomed the ground on temple square to make it look like a cornfield). At least this is what I was told when my stake had a Youth Conference there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West