HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You guys see this? Nice to see that fleet transitions are making progress.
Purolator also made a similar announcement this week, with London being one of the pilot sites. They are also buying the new GM Brightdrop EV delivery truck built just outside London at the Ingersoll CAMI plant for later in the year, but are starting out with the same E Transits as shown in the Canada Post story.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:03 PM

I barely drive, but we have a 15 year old pickup truck that we use a few times of year for offroad camping trips. (We store it in winter). I don't use it nearly enough to justify the expense of buying a new vehicle.

But if I was to buy a vehicle, I'd want a "dumb" EV. I hate how new cars are all chock full of screens and fancy sensors and nanny-like warnings. My sister's car literally dings every once in a while to nag her to take a coffee break and prompts her to "check the rear sides for occupants" when parking.

There are some new cars that are specifically designed to go easy on all this "smart" crap for consumers like me who don't like it, but none of them seem to be EVs.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
You guys see this? Nice to see that fleet transitions are making progress.

Video Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Purolator also made a similar announcement this week, with London being one of the pilot sites. They are also buying the new GM Brightdrop EV delivery truck built just outside London at the Ingersoll CAMI plant for later in the year, but are starting out with the same E Transits as shown in the Canada Post story.
It's disappointing that they are going to take 17 years to fully transition when there are already fully electrified postal services elsewhere. Canada Post is saying 50% by 2030 and 100% by 2040. I'm wondering why they can't get to something like 90% by 2035. Maybe the government needs to give them a slight boost in funding to accelerate. Should be noted that electrifying also makes Canada Post les sensitive to oil prices, making them more sustainable as a service going forward.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's disappointing that they are going to take 17 years to fully transition when there are already fully electrified postal services elsewhere. Canada Post is saying 50% by 2030 and 100% by 2040. I'm wondering why they can't get to something like 90% by 2035. Maybe the government needs to give them a slight boost in funding to accelerate. Should be noted that electrifying also makes Canada Post les sensitive to oil prices, making them more sustainable as a service going forward.
Purolator does plan to by 2030, but that's only 3500 vehicles compared to Canada Post's 15000. Purolator is actually a large profit centre compared to CPC so can probably easier afford to do this on a faster timeline.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 1:26 AM
recession proof

Rural routes with an all electric fleet will be difficult. I saw some pretty remote areas especially in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Also by 2040 today's offerings will be obsolete and hopefully range has doubled or tripled. Those electric Transits are useless.

Btw, TSLA is looking bearish on the weekly chart. There's a gap that needs filling around $78 so maybe if there's more bank failures (likely) we'll get a proper panic sell-off buying opportunity.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 1:44 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

People who park their ICE vehicles blocking access to EV chargers piss me off.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Purolator does plan to by 2030, but that's only 3500 vehicles compared to Canada Post's 15000. Purolator is actually a large profit centre compared to CPC so can probably easier afford to do this on a faster timeline.
Do you know who owns 91% of Purolator?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Do you know who owns 91% of Purolator?
Yes, but I figured I didn't have to mention it as it's only been 30 years now, so not exactly news, and basically irrelevant since the 2 operate almost entirely separately.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:25 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
yeah, it's gotta be out of pure spite. why else would someone do it?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:30 AM

bility iss

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Rural routes with an all electric fleet will be difficult. I saw some pretty remote areas especially in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Also by 2040 today's offerings will be obsolete and hopefully range has doubled or tripled. Those electric Transits are useless.
I would be curious to see to what extent they are actually going to electrify though. They mention their fleet, but not that of that their rural drivers who for the most part use their own vehicles. In London, these guys operate even within the rural areas inside the southern city limits. I wonder if there will be a timeline for when (if?) they will require their rural drivers to go electric as well. I mean, if I was one of those drivers, I would be looking at it myself for fuel savings but a lot of these people also buy imported right hand drive vehicles as well, so I wonder if there might be a supply issue or even compatibility issues with the electrical grid for those vehicles.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:39 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
They piss me off too and I don't even have an EV.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I would be curious to see to what extent they are actually going to electrify though. They mention their fleet, but not that of that their rural drivers who for the most part use their own vehicles. In London, these guys operate even within the rural areas inside the southern city limits. I wonder if there will be a timeline for when (if?) they will require their rural drivers to go electric as well. I mean, if I was one of those drivers, I would be looking at it myself for fuel savings but a lot of these people also buy imported right hand drive vehicles as well, so I wonder if there might be a supply issue or even compatibility issues with the electrical grid for those vehicles.
I've read they'll offer them preferential financing and cheap loans to help them buy EVs. Transitioning these carriers is more difficult ultimately because they aren't in the fleet.

That said, at least 70-80% of the population lives in a catchment area that can be transitioned to BEVs. So it's a tad disappointing all those areas can't be transitioned by 2035. I recognize they'll need time for some edge cases like long haul trucking, extremely rural routes, etc. But they should be working to transition the rest faster. This isn't just an EV fan thing. If they remain more exposed to oil prices, companies like Amazon that are transitioning by 2030, will eat their lunch.

For context, this is a video from Deutsche Post a decade ago:

Video Link

They went on to buy Streetscooter and created a whole EV delivery van business to provide thousands of electric delivery vehicles for their company. They've got more than 20 000 electric vehicles and a fleet that is 50% electric already. I find it hard to believe that Canada Post can't do better with 2020s technology by 2030.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
We need better enforcement against this. Did you tell the store owner? Where was this?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
All inconsiderate, self-centred people piss me off... no matter what they drive, or if they even drive at all. It's an epidemic these days, unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 10:48 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
I've seen EVs parked in EV spots but not plugged-in. If anyone should know better....

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 12:22 AM

GM is offering most of its salaried staff in the US buyouts in a bid to cut $2B in costs. That would amount to cutting about 35-40% of its workforce. This comes after they have admitted to huge problems with EV production. They were only producing 3-4 Cadillac Lyrics per day. Their production target was 36k per year and in the first ten months of production they only made a thousand.

I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this. Legacy automakers are increasingly proving really weak at transitioning. 2022 was probably make or break to determine who can survive. A former Ford CEO said Tesla is at least one generation ahead of all the legacy automakers. Increasingly, it looks like they will not be able to catch up with Tesla's lead actually growing. Toyota just admitted to tearing down a Model Y and called it a "work of art". This is before Tesla unveiled a whole spate of engineering changes at Investor Day. So if legacy OEMs are a generation behind current Tesla tech and engineering, just imagine how far they actually are after Investor Day.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 1:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
We need better enforcement against this. Did you tell the store owner? Where was this?
It was in inner city Montréal.

I could still access the cable and plug by parking diagonally and slightly blocking him, and was getting ready to do just that when he came up from behind me without me seeing, got in his Grand Cherokee and drove off.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:49 AM

$27,000 bz3 enters production in China
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/othe...3541d286&ei=49

Too bad we're stuck buying bloated CUVs that cost over 2x (3x?)as much.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
$27,000 bz3 enters production in China
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/othe...3541d286&ei=49

Too bad we're stuck buying bloated CUVs that cost over 2x (3x?)as much.
1) Manufacturing in China is a lot cheaper. Especially if BYD is building this for them. That same car could easily cost 50% more if it were built in North America.

2) The Chinese test cycle is questionable for range. You'd probably get 50-60% of that range in real life driving in North America. Not including winter.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:36 AM

Twice the price and 300 km range would still have it be somewhat competitive with North American BEVs. Fifty percent would more would be a bargain.

edit: conversion to CAD probably changes things, but still an interesting vehicle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada