HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:11 AM
Modulator

3010 Westmount Place

Not sure if this has been seen or posted about yet. I don't recall seeing it, so I'll post anyway.

Found a proposal for 5 floor multifamily development on the NW corner of 2nd St and Catalina. This will be built on top of an existing underground parking garage. Not a huge development, but more Midtown density.

View site plan is on my Google Drive at: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2r?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:30 PM

Midtown really needs some bars and restaurants with all this apartment construction I hate having to go to 7th or downtown for going out

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Midtown really needs some bars and restaurants with all this apartment construction I hate having to go to 7th or downtown for going out
I was really hoping with the addition of Zipps, Park Central could start adding more restaurants or bars. I'm not sure if any of the inner pads are built for restaurant/bars though. I would love to see more happening there. Seems like a no-brainer with everything getting built around Park Central along with the opening of Creighton and soon to be Millennium.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:24 PM

I've seen Zippos mentioned more on this site than probably anywhere else in my memory. Safe to say the members here have a favorite restaurant?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I've seen Zippos mentioned more on this site than probably anywhere else in my memory. Safe to say the members here have a favorite restaurant?
Lol, I've actually never been to one. But it does add something more than just a lunch spot and I was hoping it would generate some competition though. Doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:33 PM

I think it creates about as much excitement there as it does at 16th and Bethany or 64th and Greenway, which is exactly zero excitement.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I was really hoping with the addition of Zipps, Park Central could start adding more restaurants or bars. I'm not sure if any of the inner pads are built for restaurant/bars though. I would love to see more happening there. Seems like a no-brainer with everything getting built around Park Central along with the opening of Creighton and soon to be Millennium.
And along those lines:

Gadzooks founders to open two new midtown Phoenix restaurants
By Brandon Brown – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Jul 28, 2021

The Park Central Mall in midtown Phoenix will be home to two new concepts from the team behind the popular Gadzooks Enchiladas & Soup restaurants.

Brothers Aaron and Jared Pool plan to open the Poolboy and Green Woodpecker eateries in mid-2022 at the recently renovated development.

Poolboy, a Mexican restaurant, will be opening in a new building being built along Central Ave. by the Earll Drive entrance. The project will have midcentury modern architecture similar to what is found at the rest of the Park Central property.

The Green Woodpecker, which is named after a flower shop that used to be at Park Central, will be moving into an existing space currently occupied by Starbucks. It will be a taproom that will have an indoor-outdoor bar and a large patio. The Pools partnered on this project with Mike Swofford.

“We felt that Park Central was an ideal location for this concept and we’re confident that all of these restaurants will be successful there,” Swofford said in a statement. “Park Central is emerging as a true hub in the central Phoenix corridor and we believe this is the perfect time to become a part of it.”

Starbucks will not be leaving Park Central but will be moving into another new building being constructed along Central Ave. adjacent to the Poolboy restaurant. The new Starbucks will have a drive-thru lane, something Starbucks and other quick-service restaurants have found extremely profitable during the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with these incredibly talented operators and to bring back the Starbucks to Park Central as well,” Sharon Harper, the chairman and CEO of Plaza Cos., one of the co-developers of Park Central, said in a statement. “Park Central has injected a great deal of energy into the central Phoenix area, and these new restaurants will make it even more of a destination.”

For years, Plaza Cos. and Holualoa Cos. have been redeveloping Park Central, off Central Ave. just north of Osborn Road. Many of the former retail spaces have been converted to Class A low-rise creative office space.

Creighton University built its Health Sciences Campus at Park Central and the Aspire Park Central apartment complex, which will include 278 units, is also under construction. The property will also soon be home to a 207-room dual-branded Home2 Suites and Tru by Hilton hotel.

Link to original article in PBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...k-central.html

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 12:11 AM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2021, 12:35 AM
Skyriser

I didn't! Thanks! Great density, affordable, clears out some crummy old suburban buildings. Can't ask for much more

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Found a pretty cool little refab project in Midtown.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/500-...x-AZ/19961702/

Fugly old office building being turned into a 26 unit apartment, Last update 11/18/2020, built in Plans and in Escrow.

Any of our permit and property detectives know anything about this?
If anyone's curious about this, they've been doing some work on the inside for the past few months. It's slow going but it looks like a small crew that's been gutting it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 4:18 PM
Skyriser

That Mesquite Terrace project is a bit unique in phoenix... 114 total parking spaces for 297 units. .5 spaces per unit for affordable housing, with a 25% reduction off the light rail. I wonder if that will play out as well as planners/owners think. Let's hope.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-54-19.pdf for renders and siteplans.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 6:13 PM

It's good to see more proposed affordable housing projects as we definitely need more of them. Although kind of interesting that there is no pool amenity on the project unless that's standard for affordable housing given the rents they pay, the less costly amenities the better.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 7:41 PM
Skyriser

Pools do not seem to be an amenity in any new workforce/affordable project.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:05 PM

Preliminary building plans were submitted for the Ragsdale - NWC of Washington and 12th Street. Supposedly it will look something like this https://www.hawkinscompanies.com/theragsdale/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:12 PM
Skyriser

Major win for that corner, and another Lafferty project finds a well-heeled friend.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:36 PM

Boring and generic but I still am in support of this.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 10:43 PM
Skyriser

Nothing special now, cheap in 30 years. I think this is just how cities are supposed to grow.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 11:18 PM
Modulator

Compared to Imperial and St. Ambrose, this looks like a gem.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 11:45 PM
Skyriser

Imperial and St Ambrose are trying to be affordable, I don't think Ragsdale is.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:02 AM

Quote:
No kidding. Zipps was a great addition but we need some diversity of spots with better food. I can’t believe that those couple retain spots in Centra haven’t filled up yet. A little pizza bar or something would be perfect in that location. Maybe a coffee shop hasn’t gone in there yet because of Bosa, even though Bosa doesn’t have any atmosphere. I wonder if that little spot next to The Wild Thaiger is salvageable. Looks like an old Taco. Ell or something. Seems like it would be a cool little roof top patio, I think it was a bar years ago. City square is making improvements, they’ve built a canopy and it looks like there’s this little trailer thing in the middle, like a little coffee spot could go there. Would love to see a bar-restaurant go in there but who knows if they have the ventilation in those spots. Idk, we are going to need more, but good news with the Owners of Gazooks with what’s coming to Park Central.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest