HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 7:57 PM

I didn't think about that, I'm sure that's what he meant.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 7:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I didn't think about that, I'm sure that's what he meant.
I was riding my bike through there about an hour ago. I was wondering what was going on.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 8:09 PM

I dont see anything on the news atm about a construction accident.

Hopefully everyone is okay

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 8:20 PM

Omg that's terrible!!!!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:11 PM

I just went for a walk and second street is shut down A little south of Fillmore so it was either the fore construction site or the dorms

Article posted https://www.azfamily.com/news/man-di...d67f886e9.html

Last edited by biggus diggus; Mar 17, 2020 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:27 PM

Construction leaders stress that work should go on despite pandemic

Quote:
Many industries are being hit hard by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, with many employees working remotely and businesses like restaurants and bars offering carry-out only. One industry that needs employees on-site is the construction industry, which is still up and running at full speed in Arizona.

The chief executive officer of the Associated General Contractors of America, Stephen E. Sandherr, issued the following statement in reaction to steps being taken to put in place arbitrary halts to construction activity in certain parts of the country: “Halting construction activity will do more harm than good for construction workers, community residents and the economy. Construction firms are already acting to ensure the safety and health of their employees in the face of the coronavirus outbreak. These new measures, which include increased hygiene and halting group gatherings of staff, are in addition to the fact construction workers already wear protective equipment, including gloves that will help protect them and their co-workers.”

The AGC of America is the leading national association for the construction industry. The AGC membership is made up of more than 27,000 firms, including more than 7,000 of America’s leading general contractors, nearly 9,000 specialty-contracting firms and almost 11,000 service providers and suppliers belong to the association through its nationwide network of chapters.

Sandherr continued by stating that, “halting construction will do little to protect the health and safety of construction workers. But it will go a long way in undermining economic vitality by depriving millions of workers of the wages they will need over the coming days. At the same time, these measures have the potential to bankrupt many construction firms who have contractual obligations to stay on schedule or risk incurring significant financial penalties.”

In Arizona, many large-scale construction projects are currently underway and any stoppage in work will have a ripple effect throughout the economy.

“As a business, we are going to continue our work. We are going to do our individual part well because it matters to the whole,” said Brian Murray, CEO of Ryan Companies US, Inc. “This means that we will do what is best for our customers and one another. In our values, we emphasize that integrity guides our decisions – during this challenging time, staying true to ‘doing the right thing’ for our business, our customers and each other will make us stronger together. “

Both Murray and Sandherr stressed that the industry already adheres to strict safety guidelines and that companies are implementing even more safety steps to protect their employees, subcontractors and suppliers.

“We understand the need for social distancing to help slow the spread of coronavirus,” Sandherr’s statement included. “But needlessly shutting down projects where workers are already protected will not help. Instead it will threaten the livelihood of millions of craft professionals, force many small and family-owned businesses to shut down and undermine the nation’s ability to respond to natural disasters, including the coronavirus.

“In the unfortunate event construction is halted, we urge construction owners to consider continuing their scheduled payments to contractors as a down payment for work to be completed on the project. These payments will help mitigate some of the potential economic impacts of construction shutdowns.”

More...
https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...pite-pandemic/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:01 PM

I never saw anything in the news about a bad accident at one of the construction sites downtown. Hopefully that means it wasn't too bad of an accident. Although I only look at a couple select local news websites. Never do I ever watch the local news.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I never saw anything in the news about a bad accident at one of the construction sites downtown. Hopefully that means it wasn't too bad of an accident. Although I only look at a couple select local news websites. Never do I ever watch the local news.
No a 27 year old construction worker on the ASU dorm died.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-downtown.html

Quote:
A 27-year-old worker was killed Tuesday morning in a “workplace accident” near 300 N. 1st Avenue, according to the Phoenix Police Department.

The man was involved in the accident at 11:42 a.m. Tuesday and was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

The incident took place at the construction site for a residence hall for Arizona State University, which began construction March 2.

“This is a joint investigation involving the Phoenix Police Department, Arizona State University, and OSHA investigators,” a Phoenix Police Department spokeswoman said in a statement. “The investigation is in the early stages and they working to determine what happened.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
No a 27 year old construction worker on the ASU dorm died.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-downtown.html
Looks like something came loose from the tower crane chains and fell through the floor support structure. There is a video on ABC15 that shows the damage.

Whatever fell, it was heavy: https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...wntown-phoenix

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Looks like something came loose from the tower crane chains and fell through the floor support structure. There is a video on ABC15 that shows the damage.

Whatever fell, it was heavy: https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...wntown-phoenix

Falling objects are like a top irrational fear of mine.

I hate walking in downtown Chicago in the winter. Im just preoccupied about a giant ice chunk crushing my head.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:31 PM

That's terrible to hear and see. Who is the construction company on that project?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:32 PM

Yes, according to the Phoenix PD officer who told me about that it was a crane dropping something on top of the guy.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 5:47 PM

Alright lets get some more development news going because LIFE MUST GO ON

Metro-center generic apartment Complex http://azbex.com/multifamily-develop...rocenter-mall/

Quote:
MK Company Inc., recently submitted plans to the City of Phoenix for a new multifamily development, known as Metro Lofts, at the NEC of Dunlap and 29th Avenues.

The site is located on approximately 7.32 acres at 9201 N. 29th Avenue, and is immediately adjacent to the Arizona Canal, “which is envisioned as a regional amenity and transportation route for bicyclists and pedestrians,” according to the project documents. It is also near a future light rail station, Metrocenter Mall and a water treatment facility.

The Scottsdale-based developer is requesting to rezone the site from Commercial and Planned Shopping Center to Commercial, Height Waiver / Density Waiver.

The development is proposed as a 204-unit multifamily development, consisting of a mix of 110 one-bedroom, 79 two-bedroom and 15 studio units in three- and four-story buildings. The average dwelling unit size will be approximately 812 square feet.

The conceptual building elevations include, “a mix of colors, textures, offsets, and recesses. The elevations also depict upper floor balconies and ground level patios.”

A centralized amenity with a courtyard area and pool will be provided for residents as well as bicycle parking and a bicycle repair station.

Plans call for a total of 307 parking spaces comprised of a mix of garage, reserved and visitor spaces; however, the city is requiring a total of 410 spaces – 307 for residents and 103 for visitors. According to the documents, “Due to the many policies which envision a walkable urban center and light rail being extended to the area, the applicant may be requesting a parking reduction after the property is rezoned.”

The project was approved at the Phoenix North Mountain Village Planning Committee and according to the Planning and Development Department, is still set to be heard at the April 2nd Planning Commission meeting, though they are not sure if the meeting will be publicly held, or virtual.

MK Company, Inc. is the developer of Metro Lofts, and the architect is BMA Architecture. Withey Morris, PLC is the representative for the project. A request for the general contractor has not been returned by press time

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 6:03 PM

One of my clients lives in Portland and owns a commercial plumbing company, he's telling me all construction projects have stopped.

We should be prepared for that to happen here, potentially.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 6:07 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Alright lets get some more development news going because LIFE MUST GO ON

Metro-center generic apartment Complex http://azbex.com/multifamily-develop...rocenter-mall/

Nice! Even though it's generic, that shopping center is a wasteland. Glad to see some density coming to the area.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
ANy bets on CSA? 13? 12?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:44 PM

Quote:
ANy bets on CSA? 13? 12?
Phoenix CSA now has 5,002,221 residents and is 13 largest CSA,

Detroit is #12 at 5,341,994, it will take 4ish years to take the 12 spot

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post

Well, let's see how the recovery from the current situation impacts growth/migration patterns. That could be quicker if we recover sooner and other areas lag - driving people here for work. Assuming the jobs are still here...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post

Hello, are you a new friend?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest