HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In the taco category, the taco shop on Osborne (can't remember the name, it's near the Park Theatre) has legit Mexican tacos, 3 for $5.00. Well worth the stop.
BMC Market. Great tacos.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
JC Taco, seriously? That is the worst food of that type I have had in my life. Taco Time is far better than that. Their hot sauce is less spicy than Heinz ketchup.

I wish it was good, it's at the end of my street.

Ditto.
If I am not mistaken I thought that I saw last week when I was in St. James that JC taco has opened a 2nd location out there. And looking online they also now have a location in Island Lakes.

Looking at the reviews on Urban Spoon the two new locations don't seem to fare any better than the original one.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:33 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
If I am not mistaken I thought that I saw last week when I was in St. James that JC taco has opened a 2nd location out there. And looking online they also now have a location in Island Lakes.

Looking at the reviews on Urban Spoon the two new locations don't seem to fare any better than the original one.
I'm not actually certain that Henderson is the original... The location on Portage in St. James has been open for at least 2.5 years. It was open when my girlfriend lived in the area instead of with me.

EDIT: It seems the St. James location opened in early 2012. So not too much after the late 2010 opening of Henderson.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
BMC Market. Great tacos.
Best in the City. They make the tortillas fresh and that makes all the difference.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I'm not actually certain that Henderson is the original... The location on Portage in St. James has been open for at least 2.5 years. It was open when my girlfriend lived in the area instead of with me.

EDIT: It seems the St. James location opened in early 2012. So not too much after the late 2010 opening of Henderson.
Shows I don't get to west St. James on Portage Ave that much that I only noticed it being there in Sept.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 11:05 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I'm not actually certain that Henderson is the original...
It is.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
BMC Market. Great tacos.
Do they have flour tortillas? Or just corn?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:55 AM

What's going into the old Pop Soda's space (north side of Portage Ave, just west of UWinnipeg). Sign in window says Good Will. Coffee shop? Restaurant? Part of the space seems to be a pizzeria of some sort.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no use for username View Post
Do they have flour tortillas? Or just corn?
Corn! It isn't a tortilla if it isn't corn!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
What's going into the old Pop Soda's space (north side of Portage Ave, just west of UWinnipeg). Sign in window says Good Will. Coffee shop? Restaurant? Part of the space seems to be a pizzeria of some sort.
If its the Good Will I'm thinking of its a second hand charity shop. They have a number of them in Winnipeg in small store fronts.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
If its the Good Will I'm thinking of its a second hand charity shop. They have a number of them in Winnipeg in small store fronts.
no, definitely not the goodwill thrift shop. the name is going to be confusing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
new A Little Pizza Heaven location and a new music venue/bar called The Good Will which is that plus a coffee shop. open 11 am to 2 am when it gets going, I believe.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:06 PM

I am a little surprised the new Good Will coffee house hasn't encountered a lawsuit related to their name yet from the second hand store group. It seems to only be a matter of time.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am a little surprised the new Good Will coffee house hasn't encountered a lawsuit related to their name yet from the second hand store group. It seems to only be a matter of time.
Unless they were operating as a thrift store they wouldn't have a case. Besides are there any "Good Will" stores in Winnipeg that are incorporated as "Good Will Inc."? Chances are most are just "good will" stores like Safeway is a "grocery" store.

Besides, you can have similar names for companies as long as they don't do similar things.

https://www.facebook.com/thatgoodwill

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I think they're calling themselves 'The Goodwill Social Club'. Perhaps that name cleared the registry and they're using that as their rationale...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Unless they were operating as a thrift store they wouldn't have a case. Besides are there any "Good Will" stores in Winnipeg that are incorporated as "Good Will Inc."? Chances are most are just "good will" stores like Safeway is a "grocery" store.

Besides, you can have similar names for companies as long as they don't do similar things.

https://www.facebook.com/thatgoodwill
Surprisingly enough, Goodwill Industries is actually a business. Their building is right at the corner of Princess and McDermot, I believe, and I'm not sure they operate any actual storefronts.

Also, the 'Inc.' part won't change anything.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Surprisingly enough, Goodwill Industries is actually a business. Their building is right at the corner of Princess and McDermot, I believe, and I'm not sure they operate any actual storefronts.

Also, the 'Inc.' part won't change anything.
They have a couple of storefronts in Winnipeg, 3431 Portage Ave, 317 St. Anne's Rd, 1540 Pembina Hwy and 701 Regent.

The Princess St. location is a store and also head office location as far as I know.

their history is interesting:

Established in 1931, in the time of the Great Depression, a Minister of the United Church started a second-hand store from the remainders of a rummage sale. His goals were a) to offer employment to those who could not find employment due to the Great Depression and b) to offer Manitoban citizens, items which they needed at a low-price.

Since 1931, Canadian Goodwill has been incorporated and is now identified as a non-profit charitable organization

Last edited by cllew; Oct 10, 2014 at 4:33 PM. Reason: add info

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
They have a couple of storefronts in Winnipeg, 3431 Portage Ave, 317 St. Anne's Rd, 1540 Pembina Hwy and 701 Regent.

The Princess St. location is a store and also head office location as far as I know.

their history is interesting:

Established in 1931, in the time of the Great Depression, a Minister of the United Church started a second-hand store from the remainders of a rummage sale. His goals were a) to offer employment to those who could not find employment due to the Great Depression and b) to offer Manitoban citizens, items which they needed at a low-price.

Since 1931, Canadian Goodwill has been incorporated and is now identified as a non-profit charitable organization
Interesting stuff.... Didn't know that.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
new A Little Pizza Heaven location and a new music venue/bar called The Good Will which is that plus a coffee shop. open 11 am to 2 am when it gets going, I believe.
Article in today's WFP about the Goodwill (or the GW for short, apparently). And Noel Bernier's restaurant empire keeps on expanding.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...279743432.html

There's also a bit of info about the new Barley Bros location (former Pembina Earls location).

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Article in today's WFP about the Goodwill (or the GW for short, apparently). And Noel Bernier's restaurant empire keeps on expanding.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...279743432.html

There's also a bit of info about the new Barley Bros location (former Pembina Earls location).
Oh, nine owners you say!? I'm guessing there will be several fewer after the first cash call.

And I can't be the only person wondering where the money comes from. Especially this new Barley Brothers expansion. There were legitimate, well-financed chains that looked at that space and couldn't find a way to make it feasible given its size, the leaseholds required, and the monthly nut. How does a middling, local restaurant with terrible reviews open a second location that's 20,000 square feet!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan