HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Plus you end up with a new stadium for less money (new is 30% cheaper than renovating)
Prove this! Stadiums are not cheap to build and you have a contaminated site.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Prove this! Stadiums are not cheap to build and you have a contaminated site.
BMO Field, $60M
Saputo Stadium $41M ($15M 13,500 seats plus $26M expansion to 21,000 seats = $41M)

Both three sided.

You are talking 24,000 seats here, two sided with rain cover. A very basic stadium.

Cleanup is a Fed/Prov responsibility and is done with or without stadium and full rehabilitation in less than a year.

Case study McGill University Health Centre Montreal on old Westmount/Vendome similarly contaminated rail yards. Zero cost to Montreal.
It was also 3 times the cubic meter volume of Bayview and done in 15 months.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Are you living in a vacuum? The proposed first phase of the LRT plan is to do away with all the 90 series buses that presently serve the Bayview site. At that point, most of the city will no longer have direct transit access and as I have pointed out, Phase 1 does not access to any Park n Ride lots.

As far as the 4,000 parking spaces used daily at Tunney's, there is a big difference between commuting to a job and attending a leisure event. If it is a pain to get there for a leisure event, you simply won't go. I also wish to point out that the people who use those parking lots on a daily basis arrive and depart over 3 hour time periods, 6:30 to 9:30 in the morning and 3:00 to 6:00 in the evening. For a sporting event, this is greatly compressed, especially when a game is over.

As I pointed out, the O-Train simply does not have the capacity even if people are willing to use transit. If an O-Train car has a capacity of 250 passengers, it can only handle 1,000 fans over a 1 hour period. There is no way to expand this capacity unless we make a major investment for what is a temporary transit line. I cannot see us spending several million in order to address 10 CFL games per year and a few other events and then at some point replace it with the planned electric technology.
And you believe Lansdowne is served better?

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Every time I see words like 'clearly' and 'simply' and 'obviously', it makes it obvious that you're spinning instead of discussing.

Please stop trying to dismiss the opposing views and instead respond with substance.
A formal bid is being submitted to the City.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Every time I see words like 'clearly' and 'simply' and 'obviously', it makes it obvious that you're spinning instead of discussing.

Please stop trying to dismiss the opposing views and instead respond with substance.
Proof will be in the pudding with a bid in roughly 4 weeks.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpaidh View Post
What's your estimated cost for rebuilding the hockey arena on site with the second floor space, as per your plan Jemartin? Ballpark range, and who would pay for it, along with the millions it would take to rehabilitate the site like you want it?
Step 1 is consolidate the site financials with private management.

Step 2 is to establish the membership and patrons.

Step 3 is to commence grounds improvements with landscaping.

Step 4 is to take down the south stands and add more fields of play.

The Civic Centre rebuild and tear down of most of the North Stands would develop in conjunction of a new stadium at Bayview. Pending that you still have
access to the first 30 rows.

The approach is gradual and involves an annual set of site improvements.

The bottom line is no borrowing, existing site surplus and working with other projects.

But zero taxpayer dollars and you keep the entire park public.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 1:59 PM

should we start a jemartin thread?

http://www.emcottawasouth.ca/2010052...rk+Conservancy

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrtwnr View Post
Yes please.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:42 PM
Mooderator

Yes.

Jemartin - I am creating a thread for your Conservancy plan. Everyone who wants to beat this idea to death can carry on the conversation there.

Thanks.

edit - and I'm closing this. We already have the Lansdowne Urban Park Design Thread.

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Yes.

Jemartin - I am creating a thread for your Conservancy plan. Everyone who wants to beat this idea to death can carry on the conversation there.

Thanks.
Thank you, that is very nice of you and done with such grace.

I will also ensure this discussion doesn't get too carried away.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa