HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 7:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Interesting article about how to make Manitoba into a "have" province:

http://theviewfromseven.wordpress.co...have-province/
Pretty fluffy post lacking of any facts or statistics.

Just a bunch of ideological drivel with very little backing it up.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Just presenting something for the sake of discussion, is all.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 10:35 PM

I think to bicker and argue about whether Manitoba is a have or have not province, along with attempting to label other provinces with such a vague title is really a terrible way of classifying a particular region.

Of course many people state that how prosperous a region is comes from the amount of natural resources and population in an area, which is true to an extent, but we must remember that depending on the needs of the national or global population, what the current trends are, and other social and economic factors that effect everyone, things can change. A lot. If we take a look at Ontario during the recession, lots of manufacturing jobs were hit hard, and Ontario suffered greatly. If we look into the future and pretend that oil has run out, we will also see many other regional centres with incredible amounts of wealth collapse because there is nothing to replace it. In the end, it really depends on what industries are present in your province.

Manitoba has a smaller population, and we don't sit on much of the world's most precious resource right now. Our friend to the west seems to have found some luck despite their similarly small population, and that's good for them. However, I believe that Manitoba will continue to grow at a steady pace and in fact be one of the greatest places to live on earth. It is not the crap hole that some people suggest, nor is it upscale Manhattan. But what I do know is that it is part of Canada, and there are many people here that enjoy their lives. We have an incredible amount of wealth produced in terms of tangible resources such as food, and non-tangible resources such as knowledge and innovation. Whether you like it or not, Manitoba does well. We don't boom, but we also don't bust. We diversify, and I think that will be our strength. I don't think Winnipeg will see an office tower boom like Calgary did, but no sooner will the oil run out and those towers be vacant! However here in Manitoba, hydro and wind electricity is a stable form of electricity generation and we have a solid grasp on what it means to create a successful and sustainable utility industry here in Manitoba.

People will always complain, Governments will change, and not everyone will have their tinyist issues addressed by those who head the public front here in Manitoba, but I tell you that it is a good place to live, whether you live in Winnipeg or rural Manitoba (I live in both and I can assure you that they are both a wonderful experience). Manitoba will continue to have good industries, smart graduates, innovative companies, and friendly people. You can choose to focus on the negative, but just because we aren't getting 30 plus shinny skyscrapers, doesn't mean we aren't doing well.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:06 AM
the first stamp is free

Won't there always be have and have not provinces? I mean, if you think about it isn't it impossible to have 10 "have" provinces?

The wealthier provinces will always push salaries up for basic services that in turn cause costs to increase for health care, education, infrastructure, etc. All of this of course requires other provinces to follow suit, and its impossible for all 10 provinces to be ahead of the curve...

Not to say that Manitoba shouldn't try to prosper, but I think there is too much empahsis placed on this have and have not nonsense. The system is there to ensure that all provinces (read Canadians) enjoy similar basic qualities of life.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 1:00 PM
Heart of the Continent

That's very correct Drew. Being have doesn't make us poor (I used that word earlier in error), it simply means that there are other provinces that, because of their general circumstances, do better than us. Equalization, the system that is used to determine have or have not status, ensures that all Canadians are able to enjoy relatively similar tax levels and relatively similar levels of service. We do pay higher taxes here (though in the grand scheme of things, it isn't much), but we do have very good service compared to some provinces. It seems to be more where Manitoba has placed the emphasis.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 7:43 PM

Perth's Sign

This afternoon I noticed that the vintage Perth's sign on Main has been removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanscott/3871492770/

What are the odds it's just being repaired? I hope that is the case, because it is/was one of the few remaining examples of Googie Design in the city, and it would be a real loss for Main Street if it were simply chucked into a North End dumpster.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 7:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
This afternoon I noticed that the vintage Perth's sign on Main has been removed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryanscott/3871492770/

What are the odds it's just being repaired? I hope that is the case, because it is/was one of the few remaining examples of Googie Design in the city, and it would be a real loss for Main Street if it were simply chucked into a North End dumpster.
would be a shame hopefully it is indeed

anyhow my brain is on a random mode don't ask just read or ignore my randomness

Winnipeg o Winnipeg a city of life and times, o how it looks and feels. We are the city that is Winnipeg. The vibes are the times of cusp we see. a time for great things is apone thee city of great surprise of a nation that does not see. From the bricks to the clay to the red of the mighty red the city grows quietly in the mids of its self a golden boy shines in reds of prairie sky as the veins of ...... and then my brain looses the randomness i sometimes get......

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 4:10 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Winnipeg o Winnipeg a city of life and times, o how it looks and feels. We are the city that is Winnipeg. The vibes are the times of cusp we see. a time for great things is apone thee city of great surprise of a nation that does not see. From the bricks to the clay to the red of the mighty red the city grows quietly in the mids of its self a golden boy shines in reds of prairie sky as the veins of ...... and then my brain looses the randomness i sometimes get......
We will put you in a tutu and film you singing this.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 12:36 AM
Youth of a Nation

Arlington Bridge will be closed for demolition of building. Jan 8th - Jan 10th.

I didn't think that building was in that bad of shape.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
BANNED

It would be nice to see the big banks having a presence in the city again. Hell, even small cities like Saskatoon, Regina, Halifax and Moncton have their larger building represented by TD, BMO, Royal Bank, etc. Why don't the banks want to come back to Winnipeg, with one of the strongest economies in Canada?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 12:00 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

to outsiders winnipeg is just another redeer had someone say that to me last night that thats what he thought winnipeg was till he was dragged out here last weekend

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 6:20 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
It would be nice to see the big banks having a presence in the city again. Hell, even small cities like Saskatoon, Regina, Halifax and Moncton have their larger building represented by TD, BMO, Royal Bank, etc. Why don't the banks want to come back to Winnipeg, with one of the strongest economies in Canada?
Haha, I think you answered your own question. A bank is a business that is VERY mobile. No bank will have a presence here until the taxes go down. Why would a bank have an office here when they can do business here while operating out of Alberta or Ontario where the taxes for employees are half?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Haha, I think you answered your own question. A bank is a business that is VERY mobile. No bank will have a presence here until the taxes go down. Why would a bank have an office here when they can do business here while operating out of Alberta or Ontario where the taxes for employees are half?
Are you sure that Ontario should be mentioned there? Which taxes are you considering there?

According to this link:

http://www.fcei.ca/legis/manitoba/pdf/mb1174.pdf

In 2005 only Alberta and the Maritimes had business taxation levels that could be considered "half" of what Manitoba charges. Ontario is lower, but by less than 10%. (This was according to a Business Tax Study by the Saskatchewan government)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Has nothing to do with taxes . It's the market and where it's located . I'm all for lowering taxes for the working poor (something that most parties don't seem to understand) but you're trying to jam a square peg into a round hole on that one . Banks don't need low taxes to operate because they're practically taxation bodies in themselves . These guys make billions in profits every year ... the taxes are inconsequential to them .

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 4:48 PM

Spocket your right. Taxes are inconsequential in the scheme of things when it comes to the financial sector. The market your in and the access to capital likely means profits. And the banks are in the business to make money. Basically people with money and who are willing to invest it is where it's at. That is where banks want to be. Considering that Toronto and Calgary have the highest proportions of head offices and a greater number of willing investors with deep pockets willing to invest.

I use to work in a bank. BMO had those banking kiosk in the Safeway grocery stores back then. I had read reports that this one branch in a Safeway had more business in terms of capital going through the bank than some full fledge branches. As they say in the business world. Location, Location Location.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 6:18 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Which taxes are you considering there?
Personal taxes. Head offices (or branch offices) contain people and people don't want to live where taxes are high. Especially since we are turning into a government-based economy here, therefore there is a decreasing opportunity for banks to make money here.

Less money to be made plus less people willing to work here. Hence the major bank's decreased presence in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Personal taxes. Head offices (or branch offices) contain people and people don't want to live where taxes are high. Especially since we are turning into a government-based economy here, therefore there is a decreasing opportunity for banks to make money here.

Less money to be made plus less people willing to work here. Hence the major bank's decreased presence in Winnipeg.
That's a pretty simplistic analysis of why banks locate where they do.

I guess if Toronto had personal income taxes comparable to ours (and I don't know how different they are, maybe you can enlighten us on that), the financial headquarters of Canada would just shift their head offices to some other, lower taxed city...Righhhht

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 6:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

At an income level of $40K, provincial taxes are half in Ontario compared to Manitoba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
That's a pretty simplistic analysis of why banks locate where they do.
It's not an analysis, it's a response to this:

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 7:07 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I've said it before and i'll say it again..

Banks like to be close to where the action is. One hundred years ago until about as recently as the 1970's that economic powerhouse in the west was Winnipeg.

Today it's Calgary, and tomorrow it could be Vancouver if oil were to tank.

With the exception of the Richardson family, IG, and Great West Life..every other major building in our downtown bares the name of some crown corporation or government entity; this city is hardly a bastion of free market enterprise.

In the last decade alone think of the corporate hq's we have lost
-CanWest
-Agracore United
-Hudbay Minerals

What reason is there for a major chartered bank to be here?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
With the exception of the Richardson family, IG, and Great West Life..every other major building in our downtown bares the name of some crown corporation or government entity; this city is hardly a bastion of free market enterprise.
Major buildings? Which buildings at the corner of Portage and Main are crown corps or government entities?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan