HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 1:39 PM

One other factor regarding The Power District is the soils there are bad. They are contaminated. So, I still don't get the premise for a 400' height upzone.

Last edited by Orlando; Sep 10, 2024 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:35 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
Does SLC have less long-term holders compared to Austin, Nashville, Miami, Denver etc? Cities where high rise development has continued and in some cases even accelerated despite the current interest rates? If so, how can we attract more long term holders assuming there is a demand.
In general there is far more development capital in those cities, yes. And it follows that there will be more groups pursuing build-and-hold strategies. But the main thing that will attract this kind of capital to Utah are low barriers, availability of land, and high demand. SLC is great for the first two, but needs to catch up on the latter. There is some latent demand, as we have seen, but until we have a stronger corporate presence, a populace that wants to live and work downtown, and the high-paying jobs to support it, demand will grow in SLC very slowly. This applies to all asset classes and service-related businesses.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:37 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
One other factor regarding The Power District is, the soils there are super bad. They are contaminated and poor. So, I still don't get the premise for a 400' height upzone.
Someone on reddit suggested the areas of the city west of I-15 are in the Airport Flight Path Protection zone, which is a zoning overlay. I am not sure how to verify this, but it could be that heights are somewhat limited by federal FAA requirements for a buffer around the airport. I know this impacts heights in downtown San Diego and San Jose, which have airports close to their downtowns.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Someone on reddit suggested the areas of the city west of I-15 are in the Airport Flight Path Protection zone, which is a zoning overlay. I am not sure how to verify this, but it could be that heights are somewhat limited by federal FAA requirements for a buffer around the airport. I know this impacts heights in downtown San Diego and San Jose, which have airports close to their downtowns.
Yes there is a Airport Flight Path Protection Overlay District that governs the height limits of buildings within the flight path of the airport. For SLC its city Code 21A.34.040 that governs that. I can't find a map that shows the height limits in relation to the airport but I would assume the Power Station area is outside of that. The FAA would have a say in height limit changes as they do in San Diego's downtown area, where there are strict building height limits in relation to the airport's flight path.

Here's the SLC map, you'll see the Power District area is within the Overlay District (green diagonal)

Last edited by ucsbgaucho; Sep 9, 2024 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Oh ya, I do remember this when I was working on it. Though, I forgot the height limit. I believe there was a discussion about amending it though.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 2:43 PM

Hey Schmoe, given your info about slow demand in salt lake city for new development a few threads back, what do you think are the chances that salt lake will get a new 20 to 30 story residential tower in the next two or three years?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 5:38 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Hey Schmoe, given your info about slow demand in salt lake city for new development a few threads back, what do you think are the chances that salt lake will get a new 20 to 30 story residential tower in the next two or three years?
I think the chances are very low that anything will be delivered during that time period; however, I would not be surprised at all if there were one or two under construction within 3 years.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:15 PM

I'm excited to see many of you tonight in the Sorensen Center! These Rio Grande Plan events often turn into ad hoc forum meet-ups. If you can't make it in person, there will be a live stream on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/live/w135-Qd...j9ahA_w8gRvsO0

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:16 PM

This is the first rendering I have seen of what is going to go here. Looks like it will be really big and have 1450 beds according to this article. You can see the new 'impact prosperity epicenter' building in the background as well. I wish they would work on redeveloping the stadium parking lot tho

https://www.ksl.com/article/51124747

The design of the court yard makes me think it will fill in the lot quite nicely. It will start to feel a bit urban up there despite being on the edge of the mountains

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West