HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I noticed the Modern Taco location on Academy has since closed. They've still got the new location at Grant Park, but I wonder if the 'authentic' taco/Mexican trend is beginning to wane.

Taco Del Mar is owned by Subway, so I suspect they'll be alright in the long run - especially with the new model stores having both in a stand-alone location - but I wonder about the overall trend and smaller players. Modern Taco looks like a place that's being designed to be franchised...
I think most simply couldn't be bothered to go get a fast food burrito masquerading as a real burrito when they could go to Burrito Del Rio or something along those lines and still get something fast and relatively cheap. Same goes for Woody's. Why drive to Woody's when you can drive to Lovey's? There's locally owned alternatives that were putting out better quality food, and thankfully people seemed to realize this.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I noticed the Modern Taco location on Academy has since closed. They've still got the new location at Grant Park, but I wonder if the 'authentic' taco/Mexican trend is beginning to wane.

Taco Del Mar is owned by Subway, so I suspect they'll be alright in the long run - especially with the new model stores having both in a stand-alone location - but I wonder about the overall trend and smaller players. Modern Taco looks like a place that's being designed to be franchised...
Modern Taco is never busy, that Grant Park location is so bizarre. Also nicknaming it MTC probably isn't helping them.

The Taco Del Mar at HSC was part of the Subway and they still closed it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Modern Taco is never busy, that Grant Park location is so bizarre. Also nicknaming it MTC probably isn't helping them.

The Taco Del Mar at HSC was part of the Subway and they still closed it.
I thought so too, but then I figured maybe the mall management demanded it.

Out of curiosity, what's bizarre about it in your mind?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
I think most simply couldn't be bothered to go get a fast food burrito masquerading as a real burrito when they could go to Burrito Del Rio or something along those lines and still get something fast and relatively cheap. Same goes for Woody's. Why drive to Woody's when you can drive to Lovey's? There's locally owned alternatives that were putting out better quality food, and thankfully people seemed to realize this.
The people that franchise Woody's did not provide local support to the owner and he lost $1M and maybe his house. Not a good thing.

That was also a tough location. Papa John's is going brisk business though.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 1:43 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
I think most simply couldn't be bothered to go get a fast food burrito masquerading as a real burrito when they could go to Burrito Del Rio or something along those lines and still get something fast and relatively cheap.
You had to post this when I was jonesing for a burrito.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
We were talking about this a while back how so many fast food and quick service restaurants are starting to come here from the states, but Winnipeg has pretty high tastes/expectations...

The Taco Del Mar across from HSC has already been shut down (barely lasted a year), Woody's BBQ on Pembina lasted 10 months, KFC/Taco Bell on Pembina is gone. The only new one that's good and busy is Qdoba (Polo).

Honestly, thank god... sure it's not good when businesses shut down, but we don't need that crap.
I went to woodys once with a group for someone's birthday. It was honestly the worst experience I've ever had at a restaurant. Not so much the service but the taste of the food. Half of the group couldn't finish their meal cause it was so bad. Judging by what their urbanspoon reviews were, that was a theme amongst people who went there.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Sorry

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
I thought so too, but then I figured maybe the mall management demanded it.

Out of curiosity, what's bizarre about it in your mind?
Well part of it is how GP mall is now partially an outdoor strip mall. Modern has an outdoor entrance, but inside they have a "patio" that spills into the mall proper, but you can't enter through there. It seems like they can't decide if they want to be fast food or a 'real' restaurant, and if it's the latter... it's a terrible location/design.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
At one time there was a person in Winnipeg that owned a number of them so it didn't matter too much if another one opened as it was probably one of his and the profits still came to him.

Not sure if he still has the large number of stores or sold some of them off to invest in other things.
I know a number of the downtown locations have the same owner as staff rotate between different locations, including the one by HSC.

The one I find a little odd is the Canada Post one is setup with two sub prep lines. It opened slightly ahead of the Taco Del Mar rollout in Winnipeg. I wonder if the plan was to convert one side to the Taco Del Mar program.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I know a number of the downtown locations have the same owner as staff rotate between different locations, including the one by HSC.

The one I find a little odd is the Canada Post one is setup with two sub prep lines. It opened slightly ahead of the Taco Del Mar rollout in Winnipeg. I wonder if the plan was to convert one side to the Taco Del Mar program.
When I went to the Canada Post location last week at lunch they only had one side opened.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
When I went to the Canada Post location last week at lunch they only had one side opened.
I think I overhead one of the employees saying something about "Opening shortly" the other day, I assumed it was the second side opening now that it's winter again (and presumably busier as more people take the walkway).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
eating a Qdoba burrito right now yum yum yum!!!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
eating a Qdoba burrito right now yum yum yum!!!
I'd say I was jealous but my belly is presently full of Vi-Ann vermicelli.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:48 PM

I like Burrito Splendido on Portage myself

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 9:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

clay ovens opening up a new location in the hydro building

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I like Burrito Splendido on Portage myself
agreed I do like them better than qdoba, but I was in that area today

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:12 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
agreed I do like them better than qdoba, but I was in that area today
I find the best burrito is Burrito Del Rio (Corydon or River). I have pretty much tried them all.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:59 PM

Burrito del Rio is good but nothing compares to that place in the old post office on Henderson Hwy just before the Disraeli.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Burrito del Rio is good but nothing compares to that place in the old post office on Henderson Hwy just before the Disraeli.
JC Taco, seriously? That is the worst food of that type I have had in my life. Taco Time is far better than that. Their hot sauce is less spicy than Heinz ketchup.

I wish it was good, it's at the end of my street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I find the best burrito is Burrito Del Rio (Corydon or River). I have pretty much tried them all.
Ditto.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 3:37 PM

I will get behind Burrito Del Rio in the burrito division.

In the taco category, the taco shop on Osborne (can't remember the name, it's near the Park Theatre) has legit Mexican tacos, 3 for $5.00. Well worth the stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan